More Detailed Script Review!

Still A ThorFan

Sidekick
Reaction score
From IESB.net

THE SPOILERS DOTH BEGINETH BELOW

THOR begins, simply enough, with a black screen and mystical narration, describing THE CREATION OF THE NINE WORLDS. The NINE WORLDS and its inhabitants are then introduced, each paragraph becoming so much more overwhelmingly verbose, that one can nearly hear the film's producers
scratching their collective heads from here.

From the inky void, the seers URD, VERDAND and SKULD describe the populating of the worlds, including A HUMONGOUS COW that feeds YMIR, the first FROST GIANT and his family. GNOMES and FAERIES come into the picture, followed by THE GODS OF ASGARD. There's some godly begetting that goes on - ODIN KING OF THE GODS follows and finally he begets our hero THOR. (Oh yeah, ODIN creates Man and Woman to worship him, too - lucky sod.)

The narration ends, and we are introduced to the adult THOR and LOKI , THOR'S BROTHER, THE WARRIORS THREE (FANDRAL, HOGUN and VOLSTAGG) ASGARD's MOST POPULAR BOY BAND - just kidding here, and BALDER, his advisor as they ride their great horses through SVARTALFHEIM in search of IVALDI, KING OF THE GNOMES.

At some point in the middle of THOR's thrilling battle with a HELL STAG (page 15, I think) I dropped my Norse Mythology for Dummies book in disgust and chucked my battered Engelsk-Norsk dictionary into the wastebasket.

They were slowing me down. I had a script to read and a review to write. Meanwhile, during the hell staggy conflict, THOR saves many gnomes, but his great wooden hammer is destroyed. IVALDI promises to make him a new hammer.

THIS ENDETH THE SPOILERS

THOR is a meaty script. Without doing any serious research, it certainly appears writer Protosevich has worked to recreate the legend as "accurately" as possible.

Nevertheless, I wished I had called Judy at Time-Life books and ordered their seventeen volume set of Norse Myths and Legends. I was already lost in the great confusion of so many throwaway names for so many things. Two pages after reading it, I couldn't even remember if LIDSKJALF was ODIN'S THRONE, or the Ligonberry jelly I bought at IKEA.

But this is not your father's THOR. It's not even Vincent D'Onofrio's THOR from Chris Columbus' ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING. This is not THOR the superhero as portrayed in the Marvel comics - a god on Earth who performs super-heroic feats, rescues damsels in distresses, fights supervillains and does all of the usual stuff straight out of the “How To Be A Superhero Handbook.” This is the tale of THOR, son of Odin and Prince of Asgard and his journey from arrogant boob (not the good kind-sorry folks) to the true
heroic ideal.

This disappointed me. Despite the well-drawn characters and thrilling adventures , as I was reading the script, I kept wanting to see THOR in present day New York.

Another key element that was missing from the script for me was its portrayal of ASGARD somehow. I was hoping this ASGARD would be some how influenced by the work of THOR co-creator, the late great comic god Jack Kirby. But no, this version will give its Production Designer(s) the chance to create stunning richly detailed Nine Worlds more "realistically", and again, as a comic book geek I was disappointed. I really wanted to get my Kirby on here.

THOU ART MORE SPOILAGE BELOW

THOR gets his new hammer Mjolnir, goes a little bit nuts with it and is banished from Asgard, allowing LOKI to get all GRIMA WORMTONGUE and make plans to take over as ruler of ASGARD.THOR is humiliated and plot plot plot THOR is joined by THE WARRIORS THREE, plot plot plot and regains
his hammer. Theres are a lot of special effects as ASGARD goes to war and THOR faces the treacherous LOKI and there is the obligatory "A New Hero Is Born" ending.

THIS ENDETH THE PLOT SPOILAGE

The hard PG-13 / light R rated telling of THOR's story may be spectacular, but I can't see the movie becoming the next Spider-Man or even the next Ghost Rider for Marvel Films. I simply can't imagine a line of THOR action figures, fast food tie-in toys or any merchandising outside of a soundtrack. Not to mention there's no product placement possible with this script. Well maybe Scandinavian Airlines System or SAS, could get some ancillary action and offer THOR flights to famous fjords (like the one with
Slartibartfast's signature on the glacier)!

Now, I know all of my marketing musings really have nothing to do with the script, but films based on comics have become events, with huge amounts of additional income generated through cross-promotional items, like my still-unopened X-MEN 2 ROGUE can of Dr. Pepper, and despite the film's
many strengths I can't see THOR hitting the kind of financial figures the bigwigs have come to expect.

Despite my geek misgivings and musings of the lack of happy meal toys, what did I think? THOR is a very good script to be sure, but it's humorless. It has some very good action sequences and Kirbyesque imagery or not, THOR does have the promise of blowing movie goers' eye sockets out with amazing
never-before-seen worlds of Norse mythology, especially now that STARDUST director Matthew Vaughn is reportedly at the helm. I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

THOR rates a CONAN THE BARBARIAN out of a possible X-MEN 2, or 7 stars out of 10. Mr. E wonders whatever happened to Maia Brewton of ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING and "Parker Lewis Can't Lose.” Serious replies can be sent care of IESB.net.

THOR by Mark Protosevich – April 4, 2007.

**** THAT, I LIKE IT. I didn't want Thor in NY in the first place, at least not yet.

I'm glad the movie might be a light rated R. It won't be a f'n kiddy film like F4, Spiderman and Ghost Rider.

And I have read plenty of books on Norse mythology so I'm really getting what I want here.

From IESB.net

THE SPOILERS DOTH BEGINETH BELOW

THOR begins, simply enough, with a black screen and mystical narration, describing THE CREATION OF THE NINE WORLDS. The NINE WORLDS and its inhabitants are then introduced, each paragraph becoming so much more overwhelmingly verbose, that one can nearly hear the film's producers
scratching their collective heads from here.

From the inky void, the seers URD, VERDAND and SKULD describe the populating of the worlds, including A HUMONGOUS COW that feeds YMIR, the first FROST GIANT and his family. GNOMES and FAERIES come into the picture, followed by THE GODS OF ASGARD. There's some godly begetting that goes on - ODIN KING OF THE GODS follows and finally he begets our hero THOR. (Oh yeah, ODIN creates Man and Woman to worship him, too - lucky sod.)

The narration ends, and we are introduced to the adult THOR and LOKI , THOR'S BROTHER, THE WARRIORS THREE (FANDRAL, HOGUN and VOLSTAGG) ASGARD's MOST POPULAR BOY BAND - just kidding here, and BALDER, his advisor as they ride their great horses through SVARTALFHEIM in search of IVALDI, KING OF THE GNOMES.

At some point in the middle of THOR's thrilling battle with a HELL STAG (page 15, I think) I dropped my Norse Mythology for Dummies book in disgust and chucked my battered Engelsk-Norsk dictionary into the wastebasket.

They were slowing me down. I had a script to read and a review to write. Meanwhile, during the hell staggy conflict, THOR saves many gnomes, but his great wooden hammer is destroyed. IVALDI promises to make him a new hammer.

THIS ENDETH THE SPOILERS

THOR is a meaty script. Without doing any serious research, it certainly appears writer Protosevich has worked to recreate the legend as "accurately" as possible.

Nevertheless, I wished I had called Judy at Time-Life books and ordered their seventeen volume set of Norse Myths and Legends. I was already lost in the great confusion of so many throwaway names for so many things. Two pages after reading it, I couldn't even remember if LIDSKJALF was ODIN'S THRONE, or the Ligonberry jelly I bought at IKEA.

But this is not your father's THOR. It's not even Vincent D'Onofrio's THOR from Chris Columbus' ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING. This is not THOR the superhero as portrayed in the Marvel comics - a god on Earth who performs super-heroic feats, rescues damsels in distresses, fights supervillains and does all of the usual stuff straight out of the “How To Be A Superhero Handbook.” This is the tale of THOR, son of Odin and Prince of Asgard and his journey from arrogant boob (not the good kind-sorry folks) to the true
heroic ideal.

This disappointed me. Despite the well-drawn characters and thrilling adventures , as I was reading the script, I kept wanting to see THOR in present day New York.

Another key element that was missing from the script for me was its portrayal of ASGARD somehow. I was hoping this ASGARD would be some how influenced by the work of THOR co-creator, the late great comic god Jack Kirby. But no, this version will give its Production Designer(s) the chance to create stunning richly detailed Nine Worlds more "realistically", and again, as a comic book geek I was disappointed. I really wanted to get my Kirby on here.

THOU ART MORE SPOILAGE BELOW

THOR gets his new hammer Mjolnir, goes a little bit nuts with it and is banished from Asgard, allowing LOKI to get all GRIMA WORMTONGUE and make plans to take over as ruler of ASGARD.THOR is humiliated and plot plot plot THOR is joined by THE WARRIORS THREE, plot plot plot and regains
his hammer. Theres are a lot of special effects as ASGARD goes to war and THOR faces the treacherous LOKI and there is the obligatory "A New Hero Is Born" ending.

THIS ENDETH THE PLOT SPOILAGE

The hard PG-13 / light R rated telling of THOR's story may be spectacular, but I can't see the movie becoming the next Spider-Man or even the next Ghost Rider for Marvel Films. I simply can't imagine a line of THOR action figures, fast food tie-in toys or any merchandising outside of a soundtrack. Not to mention there's no product placement possible with this script. Well maybe Scandinavian Airlines System or SAS, could get some ancillary action and offer THOR flights to famous fjords (like the one with
Slartibartfast's signature on the glacier)!

Now, I know all of my marketing musings really have nothing to do with the script, but films based on comics have become events, with huge amounts of additional income generated through cross-promotional items, like my still-unopened X-MEN 2 ROGUE can of Dr. Pepper, and despite the film's
many strengths I can't see THOR hitting the kind of financial figures the bigwigs have come to expect.

Despite my geek misgivings and musings of the lack of happy meal toys, what did I think? THOR is a very good script to be sure, but it's humorless. It has some very good action sequences and Kirbyesque imagery or not, THOR does have the promise of blowing movie goers' eye sockets out with amazing
never-before-seen worlds of Norse mythology, especially now that STARDUST director Matthew Vaughn is reportedly at the helm. I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

THOR rates a CONAN THE BARBARIAN out of a possible X-MEN 2, or 7 stars out of 10. Mr. E wonders whatever happened to Maia Brewton of ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING and "Parker Lewis Can't Lose.” Serious replies can be sent care of IESB.net.

THOR by Mark Protosevich – April 4, 2007.

**** THAT, I LIKE IT. I didn't want Thor in NY in the first place, at least not yet.

I'm glad the movie might be a light rated R. It won't be a f'n kiddy film like F4, Spiderman and Ghost Rider.

And I have read plenty of books on Norse mythology so I'm really getting what I want here.

Why the dissing of Spidey?

All in all, it looks EXCELLENT!

It does, but it reads more like a mythological adaption than a Marvel Comics adaption....

No Don Blake, no Jane Foster, no New York...

Like it or not, those things ARE a part of Marvel's early Thor stories....

I mean; is he even going to be wearing his costume from the comics in this, or viking animal skins?

Not a kiddie/family friendly movie -> prepared to have a reduced ticket sales. Reduced ticket sales means less money earned. Less money earned means the chance for sequels become less guaranteed.

I rather this movie get nominations and awards than make 500 billion. Either way there will be a sequel anyway. If that Ghost Rider bull**** can pull it off so can a REAL movie.

Not a kiddie/family friendly movie -> prepared to have a reduced ticket sales. Reduced ticket sales means less money earned. Less money earned means the chance for sequels become less guaranteed.

Yeah, that's nice. :whatever:

I for one am totally cool with Asgard only Thor. Keep in mind that you'll still be able to get your Thor on earth fix with the Avengers film.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to the LOTR movies... they bombed at the box office, didn't they? :rolleyes:

WOW! Hard PG-13, Light R I like that especially the battles that he was saying that kicked arse....but I like some of you am a bit angry he's not going to be at New York :csad: . Oh, well maybe if a possible sequel there'll be Thor and Earth.

Loki's going to be cool...

Nerdgasm. :dry:

I rather this movie get nominations and awards than make 500 billion. Either way there will be a sequel anyway. If that Ghost Rider bull**** can pull it off so can a REAL movie.

There is no Ghost Rider sequel anymore. It was being planned before the movie even came out, and since then Avi Arad has done the whole "Sequel? What sequel? I don't know anything about a sequel" bit.

I mean; is he even going to be wearing his costume from the comics in this, or viking animal skins?

Knowing Marvel and from the way the script sounds, I'm willing to bet that Thor's costume will look like the current Thor costume, which is the way to go IMO:

New_thor.jpg

Script sounds great indeed.

I shall bring a rams horn filled to the brim with ale!

Knowing Marvel and from the way the script sounds, I'm willing to bet that Thor's costume will look like the current Thor costume, which is the way to go IMO:

New_thor.jpg

That'd work. (i still prefer the classic one, though)...

New_thor.jpg

I agree, and i LOVED the way this script sounds :up:

For thsoe of you who are complaining about this not being "Journey Into Mystery" you should remember Thor's life and legacy began on Asgard THEN moved on to earth. So look at this movie as an origin movie. Let it build up to his journey to earth.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to the LOTR movies... they bombed at the box office, didn't they? :rolleyes:

Please take a reality check if you are in anyway shape or form comparing this movie to the LOTR movies.
I am a big Thor fan and want it to do well but reality and that plot are not LOTR and Thor doesn't have a fraction of the fans LOTR did before the movies were released.
He is just not as popular as some try to spin him, heck they just re-started the Thor comics after more than 3 years of no Thor title and it is canceled every couple years because they just do not sell.

Granted that Thor is nowhere near as popular as the Lord of the Rings, he isn't as bad as you state.

The Mighty Thor v1 lasted up to 521 issues (the last ones being Journey into Mystery). The reason why it was canceled was because Marvel cancelled Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Avengers for their Heroes Reborn line.

The Mighty Thor v2 lasted up to 85 issues and the numbers really didn't merit cancellation. They cancelled it for some reason, but it wasn't for low sales numbers.

Thor v3 is currently the top selling comic. And if Marvel plays thier cards right, sales numbers will be like Captain America's.

Damnit, I wanted Donald Blake! Isn't he essential to the whole "Thor gets cast down and learns humility" thing?

I rather this movie get nominations and awards than make 500 billion.

It's going to take something truly, truly special for a comic book movie to get nominated for any "prestige" awards. If anything has the potential, it's Watchmen. But there's so much crap and politics with awards committees that entertaining movies rarely win anything.

For thsoe of you who are complaining about this not being "Journey Into Mystery" you should remember Thor's life and legacy began on Asgard THEN moved on to earth. So look at this movie as an origin movie. Let it build up to his journey to earth.

For once, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Still A ThorFan.

Putting Thor on Earth with Don Blake, Jane Foster, and New York City would be a great idea for a sequel: The Mighty Thor!

See, this script is bringing everyone together. Word is its the hottest script around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"