movie Timeline

Even with that, it is odd for Connors to have kept the stuff to himself.

James Brown rules! Say what you will about that sequence, but that's a crackin' tune right there.

When I first saw it in theaters, and that scene came on, I didn't know what to think. Everyone was laughing, and having a good time. But then that scene in the Jazz Club... now THAT is what pissed me off. At least dancing in the streets to James Brown was fun.

I feel the very opposite. While one can say the dancing in the streets to James Brown was "fun", the dancing in the jazz club is the scene that actually made sense since they were in a jazz club and Peter was just showing up MJ who he cut off just when she was starting to sing. I liked that scene myself.

James Brown or not, the whole montage of Peter was tacky and it puts CBM montages to shame.

I just happen to like the song btw. Not actually trying to defend that sequence, lol.

My opinion was they just went overboard by having the dance montage AND the jazz club scene. It felt like the final 10 minutes of Act 2 were one big musical number. If they had just done one or the other...it still probably would have rubbed fans the wrong way, but I think it might have been more forgivable. But those scenes so close together made it feel like the movie completely switched tones and entered the realm of farce. The fact that the time used for those scenes could have been used for the development of Marko or Brock makes it worse.

I would agree that the jazz club scene at least moved the plot forward, whereas the funk montage didn't accomplish much other than make one big joke out of Peter's newfound arrogance. I'll admit though, it's a scene I can still get a chuckle out of if I watch it on its own. Tobey just looks absolutely ridiculous with the emo flop and mascara :funny:

I totally get a chuckle out of it-out of the sheer absurdity and ridiculousness of it. That's the point of the sequence and Raimi knew this. I think he concsiously went against audience expectations.

The fanboys complain that it should've been darker and more serious, as though the dancing was the problem-but if the rest of the script was up to par, I think the dancing sequences could still have worked to great effect. Much like the raindrops sequence in SM2.

But as it is, the humourous sequences only exacerbated the other problems in the script, and is now blamed as the sole reason for SM3s failures.

I wouldn't say "up to par". While the jazz scene worked for me, because it made sense with it being in a jazz club, the humping the air and et cetera montage didn't seem like something the symbiote would be doing to Peter. There's a difference between ******* cockiness that Peter had in the jazz club and outright *****ebag, and the latter was shown in that montage.

I'm not a fan of any of those scenes, really- but if the rest of the movie was absolutely freaking great, those scenes wouldn't have stuck out so painfully like they did. Kinda like the raindrops sequence.

Or maybe I'm just being a supernerd, trying to validate reasons for its existence 'cause I'm ashamed that my favorite character recieved such embarassing treatment.

Anyone else notice the parallels to the evil dead trilogy?

SM/Evil Dead: Solid first film. Does what it sets out to do very well.

SM2/Evil Dead 2: Improves and builds on what was done in the original. Considered to be the best of the series.

SM3/Army of Darkness: Pure Comedy/campiness and unashamed cheesiness.

lol

I saw that parallel too, haha. I've always had the sense that once Raimi had the Venom/symbiote storyline forced into his movie, he kinda just threw his hands up, went "screw it" and decided to camp it up in an effort to try and have fun with it (and possibly make fun of it).

What also frustrated me about that sequence is we see Peter selling pics of black suited Spider-Man completely whaling away on random thugs. It would have been awesome to actually see those scenes and see how increasingly violent he was becoming, rather than playing up the comedy strutting down the street.

It's all been said though. For some reason this movie has been on my mind lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"