New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They deal with more supernatural stuff? Great. I did read plenty of X-Men, but I admittedly didn't pick up New Mutants for the same reason as how C. Lee described viewing it decades ago: "It's X-Men with teenagers again."

If they do deal with more supernatural stuff as well, take that to a place that you can only go in movies, as opposed to trying to make the movie look like every other superhero film.

They are more fantasy adventure in a way Harry Potter had elements of supernatural (well not really)/terror. The New Mutants isn't the Conjuring or It of the comic books. New Mutants IMO, should be like the Harry Potter of super hero films. So IMO, they already got the tone and direction for a New Mutants film.

And that is why the trailer is so intriguing to some. Or at least a potential promise. It isn't just "X-Men again." We've seen X-Men again and again. That it looks nothing like any other superhero movie is a blessing. However, whether it actually works? Well, that remains to be seen. Yes, it needs to distinguish itself from other horror movies beyond its hook, and time will tell.

To my mind....if a writer or director wants to make a horror movie....then make it. But why drag in characters previously portrayed as superheroes into it? If you want to make a superhero movie that looks nothing like any previous superhero movie....then don't tie it in with the XMen. Create new characters that are not called mutants and don't have the MARVEL logo on it. Sounds like a bait and switch situation to me.

To give you an idea what I am talking about.....when I saw the trailer last night....my wife and daughter were there too. The trailer starts....the MARVEL logo appears....my wife smiles (she likes the XMEN movies) my daughter sat up and said cool....then the trailer plays.....when it ends, my wife says "What the hell was that?" and my daughter turns up her lip and said "Not interested."

Last edited:
What I get from Boone, is that he is taking the horror elements that were implicit in a lot of those early New Mutants stories (Demon Bear, Belasco/Limbo, Selene) and playing up on that aspect in these films.

And it is okay for some films not to appeal to everyone. Personally, I am extremely eager to see the next trailer, as the Brazil footage description sounds amazing.

Sienkiewicz said he was trying to scare people with Demon Bear. Seems pretty normal to adapt a story about a giant bear ghost haunting young mutants at a hospital as a horror story. A possibly alienating approach, but I think it seems to have gone over well for the most part judging from people who saw what they saw in Brazil.

Some people here clearly haven't read Sienkiewicz run of New Mutants.

Some people here clearly haven't read Sienkiewicz run of New Mutants.
Some people are clearly wrong with their assumptions. I read them 30 years ago. Haven't seen them since.

To my mind....if a writer or director wants to make a horror movie....then make it. But why drag in characters previously portrayed as superheroes into it? If you want to make a superhero movie that looks nothing like any previous superhero movie....then don't tie it in with the XMen. Create new characters that are not called mutants and don't have the MARVEL logo on it. Sounds like a bait and switch situation to me.

To give you an idea what I am talking about.....when I saw the trailer last night....my wife and daughter were there too. The trailer starts....the MARVEL logo appears....my wife smiles (she likes the XMEN movies) my daughter sat up and said cool....then the trailer plays.....when it ends, my wife says "What the hell was that?" and my daughter turns up her lip and said "Not interested."

Maybe you're right that people will reject it. But to my mind superheroes aren't a genre, and just because they're in the same universe they don't have to look and feel the same. I know that is how Marvel does it, but I wish it wasn't. It's why Deadpool and Logan can kind of exist in the same world but be their own thing. Logan looked nothing like superhero movies before it, and it was so fresh. It also helped it was great. I don't really see a reason superheroes can't be in the horror genre, especially when in the New Mutants' case they have apparently fought a Demon Bear and gone to Hell (even if it is called "Limbo.").

If they can make a good horror movie within the X-Men universe, we're the richer for it. Whereas we have X-Men: Dark Phoenix later in the year, for better or worse, for a more straightforward superhero tale.

^ Exactly. I don't see why superhero movies can't break the mold and adventure into other genres instead of just being typical "superheroes team up to save the world." I think it's important they try to integrate other genre's of movies in order to stay fresh. I think there's a reason Deadpool and Logan were received so well by audiences.

I think the problem or at least my problem is that it looks like a generic horror movie. From the trailer at least. If it wasn't called New Mutants I wouldn't be interested St all.

And nowadays where we get a generic looking horror movie seemingly every month, that's not that good

I think the problem or at least my problem is that it looks like a generic horror movie. From the trailer at least. If it wasn't called New Mutants I wouldn't be interested at all.

And nowadays where we get a generic looking horror movie seemingly every month, that's not that good

This is exactly what I meant. Thank you.

I think the problem or at least my problem is that it looks like a generic horror movie. From the trailer at least. If it wasn't called New Mutants I wouldn't be interested St all.

Yeah, if the Marvel badge wasn't there I would just have written it off as another low budget indy horror movie.

I'm still looking forward to it, but it was a criticism that was pointed out to me which I agree with it

Why is low budget a bad thing? It gives them a chance to be more creative instead of just throwing spectacle to hide the fact you have a mediocre product

Well I prefer the property to showcase good production values as well. I didn't see that in the trailer. Disney didn't hold back with Gotg. So why should Fox with the New mutants?

I think this is the case where they thought they could earn more profit by keeping the budget lower, and lower the risk of losing money which is fine business wise but IMO the New Mutants deserve better treatment.

GoTg and New Mutants aren't the same so I have no idea why you expected the same. That's on you

As far as looking cheap, I don't see what about it looked cheap.

The story they wanted to tell doesn't require a large budget. Simple

Wow, that little piece of marketing is hella cool.

Why is low budget a bad thing? It gives them a chance to be more creative instead of just throwing spectacle to hide the fact you have a mediocre product

Do we even know what the budget is?

GoTg and New Mutants aren't the same so I have no idea why you expected the same. That's on you

As far as looking cheap, I don't see what about it looked cheap.

The story they wanted to tell doesn't require a large budget. Simple

Production looks cheap. I've seen other Fox trailers when I watched Murder on the Orient Express. Red Sparrow, Greatest Showman, Shape of Water and Maze Runner looked X-cellent in terms of production/look. New Mutants looked like an indie film or a made for TV show.

Production looks cheap. I've seen other Fox trailers when I watched Murder on the Orient Express. Red Sparrow, Greatest Showman, Shape of Water and Maze Runner looked X-cellent in terms of production/look. New Mutants looked like an indie film or a made for TV show.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :huh:

A low budget is by definition a restriction on art. When you have a high budget you have the flexibility to come in under budget. When you have a low budget there is a chance that part of the filmmaker's vision might be compromised somewhere.

And when you have overinflated budgets, it can distract and detract from the things that make a film really good because filmmakers get preoccupied with spectacle and what have you.

That's also if New Mutants has any restrictions - the budget could be just right for what the film wants to achieve.

A low budget is by definition a restriction on art. When you have a high budget you have the flexibility to come in under budget. When you have a low budget there is a chance that part of the filmmaker's vision might be compromised somewhere.

Constraints actually help art in a lot of cases. Creativity often comes from limitations. Read an old interview from Frank Miller about the Comics Code during his time on Daredevil and he'll say how it was a positive thing (or look at the crazy excess he's had post-Code, such as Holy Terror and compare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"