New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

Discussion in 'The New Mutants' started by Thread Manager, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

It's a Fox production but Fox is a subsidiary of Disney. There hasn't been any indication that Marvel Studios has any involvement. Of course, there hasn't been any indication that anyone has had any involvement with this since the merger.

2. imbruglia

imbruglia Registered

well.. any news?

3. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

With Feige mentioning the mutants in SDcC, its safe to say that foX's The New Mutants aren't gonna be the new mutants in the future... its another nail in the coffin. If it still goes to theaters, it could be a limited release or a throwaway release? i just don't see Disney putting more money into this Xpecially when Feige already made it clear that the mutants are coming to the MCU.

Maestro216 likes this.
  5. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I mean, all he said is he didn't have time to talk about the mutants. That doesn't really give a time table or anything like that (beyond that it's not in Phase 4).

6. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't see Feige wanting "new" mutants before mutants are even introduced in the MCU. Perhaps they'll change the title and even remove any reference to the word "mutants". They'll just be the called the New Metas.

Maestro216 likes this.
  7. DillySuperDilly

DillySuperDilly Registered

After Kinbergs fox exit whos gonna stand up for this movie lol

Maestro216 and psylockolussus like this.
  8. Filmfreak

Filmfreak Registered

Yeah I find it strange that Feige would mention the X-Men brand in the MCU as Mutants while there is a movie called New Mutants coming next year that he probably wants no affiliation with. At the same time SDCC this year reinforced my belief that New Mutants has no place in Disney +, when the latter is clearly and offcialy being sold as a part of Phase 4. And though I still find to this day a theatrical release with minimum promotion the most probable scenario, Hulu seems more and more likely each day we got no news. But the reshoots I can't see them happening.

psylockolussus likes this.
  9. DillySuperDilly

DillySuperDilly Registered

I wonder if they would have any of the cast members that says "mutants" come in & replace mutants with something as in ADR as said above & completely distance this movie from X-Men / Mutants ? Didnt fox do that when Doom was Victor Domashev & they changed it in post ?

10. Dark Raven

What word sounds like mutants that they could easily dub in ADR?

11. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Dark Phoenix didn't have a Disney logo or a Marvel Studios logo on it. New Mutants would be the same. The movie could be out and done years before an X-Men movie is even announced. Like I said, I have no idea if this is ever going to come out, but Feige's mention of mutants has nothing to do with it.

12. Dark Raven

After the Dark Phoenix debacle, if people still think this is at least going to make back some money, they're mistaken. Dark Phoenix didn't exactly help and performed worse than Fant4stic financially.

Maestro216, psylockolussus and jignat like this.
  13. Filmfreak

Filmfreak Registered

Unlikely to make profit as it may be, the production money have alredy been spent for this movie, so spending a bit more on promotion to minimise the loss seems more than plausible.

14. imbruglia

imbruglia Registered

P&D would be like 50m which the budget of this movie and damage to future of mutant usage in mcu.
    it's so mess that we still know nothing. maybe at D23...(August 23~25)

15. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

It's a sunk cost fallacy without the sunk cost. Disney has not lost a cent on this property so far. It likely didn't even change the purchase price for Fox.

ludovica likes this.
  16. Zyraquis

Zyraquis Registered

This wouldn’t be even an afterthought in the merger. Now the tough decision is that you have a rotten product in hand that comes with a mega purchase whether you just release it as it is to recoup whatever $$ you can but risk hurting your overall brand, sink more money into it to make it less rotten or dump it into a platform quietly as an extra freebie to the subscribers. Given what happened to Dark Phoenix, I would dump it to a TV platform, forget about it and move on. It’s not worth any extra effort and resources. If it’s any good, Fox would have released it some time ago.

17. psylockolussus

It should have been released in Hulu, like last Halloween.

Though even if Disney completely shelves it, the gp won't mind. As there are so much stuff coming from Marvel Studios in the neXt five years.

18. imbruglia

imbruglia Registered

yeah. this literally has zero buzz and mention. really bad for marvel comic supeorhero movie.
    media don't even bother to check what's going on.. lol

19. The Original Bamfer

The Original Bamfer Big, Bald and Beautiful

It sucks, but I’ve no hope for this.

20. psylockolussus

I don't think it sucks, if its a bad interpretation of the New Mutants. Well they aren't students of Xavier right? No iconic yellow and black costumes? Cecilia Reyes isn't even a mutant in this? Also, it looks a tv movie made for Syfy. Yeah I'm thanking Disney if it doesn't get released.

21. Dark Raven

What if they just call this Mutant X: The Next Generation and release it on Disney +? Then people will simply think it's a spin-off of that old TV show instead.

Weather Witch likes this.
  22. Weather Witch

Weather Witch Registered

:D

23. samsnee

samsnee Ok

Dark Phoenix lost Disney $170M. I doubt this will see light of day. The marketing and promotion costs wouldn't be worth it.

Xarus, psylockolussus and Dark Raven like this.
  24. imbruglia

imbruglia Registered

170m was for all fox releases tho. but yeah..

25. StarLord

StarLord Hunting

Even so, they specifically mentioned Dark Phoenix.

''Disney pinned this on the performance of “Dark Phoenix,” a flop that represented the latest chapter in the X-Men franchise as fans knew it, which only grossed $65 million domestic on a $200 million budget (overseas grosses were kinder, to the tune of $186 million). Losses were also attributed to marketing costs on upcoming titles (like “Ford v. Ferrari,” which was the only film Iger singled out from the inherited Fox release calendar).''

Disney Flushes Fox Film Development, ‘Redirects’ Strategy After Big Q3 Loss