Days of Future Past Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's how I explained the movie to my sister: [BLACKOUT]"OMG, they fixed everything!!!"[/BLACKOUT] :woot:

Does that mean I can throw out my X3 blu ray now? ;)

To be fair, there are 'some' cool scenes in X3.

It's how I explained the movie to my sister: [BLACKOUT]"OMG, they fixed everything!!!"[/BLACKOUT] :woot:

Surely this is the first time in cinema history this has happened?

Okay here is my review, it is long because I waffled without realising. Truth is I could write about 3 more pages. its a bit spoilery

X-Men Days of Future past opens to a grizzly and bleak setting where corpses line the streets and both humans and mutants are forced in lines like cattle to an abattoir. This is where we first hear Ottman’s score and it is beautiful, encapsulating the mood of the future completely before blending into a piece of music that we are all too familiar with.

The film uses the dark future as the bookends to the story, which is a smart move from Kinberg as it allows us to firstly see how inevitable the mutants’ deaths will be but also sets up just how far the sentinel program has come and how this is no longer a war for coexistence but one for survival.

Within the opening scenes with the new mutants we see how Singer has truly taken on board fan reactions. He establishes the mutants powers and how they are working as a team, there is little need for dialogue because in a time like this, who would have time to talk.

Kitty, through sending Bishop back in time leads us into a scene that most fans of the original trilogy were waiting for the most. Xavier on the blackbird of the future locating Kitty before landing in the monastery that will be the location of the true last stand (Seriously, the emotional weight in this last stand out shined the whole of x3), Storm exiting the jet first looking battle hardened with Wolverine right behind, then comes Xavier and a with a brief pause, Magneto.

Something feels a little off with the first meeting of the X-Men and the New Mutants, as if there should possibly be a little more done to establish the two meeting (the new mutants look like they have never heard of the x-men and more so look like they don’t like them).

The time travel process begins and when Logan returns to the past there is a brief glimpse into what it would be like to be Deborah-Lee Furness (The lucky, lucky woman).

From here on in we get a completely different film. Singer truly delivers on the humour that he includes in most of his x-films and there are some seriously stand out comedic moments mixed with heart wrenching tragedy, including Wolverine trying to convince Xavier to become the man he is in the future (which is both hilarious through the way Logan is still adjusting to being in the past, all the while looking into what Xavier has become).

The action is rife throughout the entire film with the recruiting of Quicksilver being a particularly funny encounter.

Singer and Ottman really deliver on continuing the Bondesque feeling that Vaughn created with first class. From the moment the group enter the pentagon the music shifts into something more playful giving each character a moment to shine. None however shine quite like Quicksilver.

There is not one moment in Quicksilver’s scenes where the audience isn’t hooked. Peters truly delivers on the playful and quite irritating character that could give the audience whiplash if he wasn’t holding their neck in place. The set piece that Singer has created for the character is something actually better than the Nightcrawler sequence from X2 that is one of the most highly regarded set pieces in Comic book movie history.

Fassbender has the accent completely nailed in this film, really getting McKellans mannerisms into his own performance whilst showing that Magneto has never been more resourceful (You try and stitch yourself up). He is constantly one step ahead of Trask (who whilst Dinklage has received mixed reviews, delivers on the militant activist who believes he is doing the right thing. Nothing says ‘justified’ like a person who doesn’t hate mutants, but sees them as a solution to a greater goal).

Jennifer Laurence for me was not the highlight of FC as I found her dialogue clunky and sometimes downright cringe worthy, however under Singers watchful eye she seems to really be embodying the Romjin Mystique that captivated an audience all those years ago. With call backs to X2 in particular we see just why she would turn into the human hating assassin and partly feel sorry for her (Singer knows how to make the villains of the X-World come across as actually being justified in most of their actions).

It is however Hugh (Did I mention how lucky Deborah-Lee was) Jackman and James McAvoy who completely steal the show. Hugh has never looked more or sounded more like Wolverine and there is one moment in particular at the front door of the school in the past where he sounds just like Steve Blum from the cartoon.

McAvoy more than delivers in every scene he is in, we really see how his take on Xavier is both polar opposite to Stewarts but refreshingly similar in that when they play opposite each other they truly feel like the same character at completely different points in their lives.

Jackman has an incredible part in a scene where he slips between time and he plays the young 70’s Logan again effortlessly, It is however McAvoy who steals that scene from him though through the means of acid (The audience in my screening cracked up at this).

McAvoy gets across the impatience that the young Xavier seems to have and the struggle he will have to become the wiser and noble Xavier of the future.

The film builds to a climax in both time settings. The future has been glimpsed at occasionally through the story but it is now that the audience will be hanging from the edge of their seats whilst in the past we truly see the Magneto that was established in the first three films. He will kill anyone (Even mutants if he has to) to preserve the future for mutantkind.

For the fact there is very little dialogue for those in the future it doesn’t feel wasted. Storm who has never looked better (although I still prefer long hair) takes the front of the assault. Halle Berry may have been limited due to her pregnancy but when you add up the amount of sentinels that actually die at the end you will realise that rightly so it is her and Magneto that take out the most. The future is not without its fair share of mutant fatalities however. Storm goes first in the most gut wrenching fashion. These sentinels show no feeling and take no prisoners, dispatching most of the mutants quickly, gruesomely (Colossus in particular) and for those in the audience, emotionally.

More time would have been nice for the future part of the film but it is understandable why Singer chose to film and cut the way he did, I personally love Rogue but when thinking of adding her sequence to the film I struggle to think where it would have been added without making little sense to the plot.

By the time the climax is reached in both time periods you can’t help but feel that the film could end there, without us knowing the outcome for both periods of time. It doesn’t end there however. Anyone that has any place in their heart for the original trilogy will probably let out a squeal when they witness the end.

The door to the future is left well and truly open.

1. I think the film is great from start to finish.
2.With so many characters, some were bound to be left behind, but just like X2 with Syrin and Colossus, you don't really feel that they are. More that they are well used cameos
3. I personally wanted more of the future but that is because they are my prefered cast.
4. If X2 and FC are your favourite (which they should be), this is the film for you.

Oooo I think this is my first time on the X-men side of this board, hi folks!

Not gonna bore anyone with a long winded review, so ill just keep it short and sweet with bulletpoints.

-This is Mystique's film, it's clear they are cashing in on J.laws talent and popularity and this film shows, everything in this film surrounds her and she plows through this flick with style, sexiness and anger. Her performance is really good and you can tell that the producers really want her to be the new face of the franchise.

- The relationship between Eric and Charles, is the backbone of this film yet again and it's taken to new emotional heights, the wonderful and limited use of McKellen and Stewart serves to highlight the relationship between McAvoy and Fassbender, and it's their battle for the soul of Mystique in which these films really find their emotional ground.

- Wolverine is refreshingly so, NOT the main action hero of the film, rather he's the beating heart of it, our narrative window, our eyes and ears. He doesn't affect the story much, rather he observes and gets the ball rolling, ultimately it's out of his hands, but the stakes are so high for him on a personal level, you appreciate his growth all the way from the first film to this one, it's sort of a full circle moment for him.

- Everything else is just done so well, the action, the peril, performances are strong across the board, loved the fact that Ottman is back to bring his theme song to the film. The film reminded me a LOT of Inception, in fact I was a tiny bit surprised that Hans Zimmer's Time didn't play in the end.

- Oh and Evan Peters as Quicksilver? Show stealer.

[BLACKOUT]Plus his wonderful quick line that hints to his parentage[/BLACKOUT]

Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

Hey all, I view this forum quite a bit so decided to sign up and contribute haha. For me I had to rate it a 6. I think as a film (to the mainstream audience, as pretentious as that sounds), it was good but as an X-men film, it disappointed. At the end of the day though, with so many characters and so many storylines, it's unlikely the vision you have isn't going to be the same as the director's which is fine.

I just wanted a bit more action. I don't see the point of putting in sentinels if they weren't going to do much. The past one's barely featured and the future one's were so ridiculously overpowered the team never really stood a chance. I'm not after a mindless action film but this is the first time we've seen sentinels properly in 7 films. I get they didn't have the fx/budget in the previous one's but ever since Michael Bay's cheese fest transformers pics, shouldn't be that hard to do.

Quicksilver was awesome though and the acting was top notch, just wanted more of a final battle.

Last edited:
Oops, don't know if that was spoilers or not. How the Helen of Troy do I do spoiler tags in a edit?

Edit, then hit Go Advanced, the options are there.

I just got back from my first viewing. I thought the film was good, had really good acting and a solid story. I'm glad the focus wasn't just on Wolverine for once. I liked the ending too, gives a bit of closure but it also opens up other possibilities, and that post credits scene had me smiling like an idiot. I'd give the film an 8/10, it was great, but I had some minor gripes. My favourite CBM of the year so far is Captain America: The Winter Soldier, followed by DOFP then TASM2. Now I've just got to wait for my most anticipated film, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Cap 2 was a solid and generally very well made adventure, and probably the best film Marvel Studios has done. But I found it to be explosions over emotions. Not enough emotion (Evans/Cap is bland, the scene with Peggy could have been much more emotional and not just thrown in there), and everything (and I mean everything: every vehicle ever on screen, and most buildings) blew up. For that reason I gave it a 7/10, I don't think I can push that to an 8, it just wasn't dazzling enough.

DoFP is not perfect and I do want to see it again to rank it against the other X-Men movies. But after first viewing I give it 8/10.

Cap 2 is a very well constructed movie. I cannot find a real fault with it per se, other than Cap has no character arc, which kind of leaves the center of the movie sagging (though Nick Fury has a nice one). The movie while well made, honestly feels like a superbly done cartoon to me more than the 1970s thrillers Marvel purportedly emulated. Maybe it is because Cap vs. Hydra feels like a version of GI Joe vs. Cobra to me. It just is "well that's nice."

Days of Future Past is a little cluttered, especially near the beginning, but the characters who matter (Xavier, Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast, probably in that order) all feel fresh and interesting and the ending feels explosive without relying on too many CGI explosions. It is much more visceral to me. And I care what happens after [blackout]Mystique picks Wolverine up, or what changed 2023 is really like.[/blackout] I cannot say I care what happens to Cap in a post-SHIELD world. Like the first Iron Man, it is the best realization of the Marvel Studios formula. But I am tired of that formula. Days of Future Past did not feel formulaic at all, which is why it worked so well.

going to see this in an hr from now, seems like its only showing in 3D, hope its good.

Just got back from seeing this movie and man, did I love it. Best X-Men film for me, topping X2 and First Class. As an X3 hater, I thought what they did in this film was just great.

Last edited:
yes or no, are there any post credit scenes that I need to stay and watch?

excellent,thanks.

I'm rather sad to say that I thought the movie was average. Not bad and not unwatchable, but kinda flat and rarely more than serviceable. I'd rate it way way below FC and X2, and even X1.

First, the stuff I really dug:

- Quicksilver. I sure as hell didn't expect him to be the highlight of the movie from those first frankly ridiculous shots. But I thought he was one of the few things in the movie with a genuine spark and bounce. The sequence with him rearranging the room in slow motion was absolutely brilliant, and the only truly thrilling action sequence of the movie. It's a pity he doesn't hang around.

- The two scenes between Erik and Charles on the plane. They really echoed back to the awesome chemisty and tension/affection these two had in FC. Also, the scene between old!Erik and Charles at the end really tugged on my heartstrings, I won't lie. I can see now why I loved that second DoFP trailer so much, since a lot of it was made up of these three scenes.

- Speaking of the plane scene, I think my favourite Erik moment in the movie is when he quietly says that he hasn't had a drink in many years, takes a sip and briefly closes his eyes in pleasure. It's one of the very few human (heh) moments for him in the movie.

- I can't say I looked forward to Wolverine, and I'm still not that interested in his solo movies, but DoFP reminded me again just how much Hugh Jackman owns the role. At the start of the movie, after sitting through those boring future!mutants, I was pretty much relieved to see Logan walk in chomping on a cigar.

- Probably a back-handed compliment, but considering the premise the movie could have been so so much worse and a total incoherent mess. So it's to the writers' credit that it actually moves through the story in a clean, lucid manner.

Now the not-so-great stuff:

- Apart from a couple of things mentioned above, there really was nothing about the future segments that stood out to me. The future!mutants were all totally forgettable fodder, Sentinels looked ridiculous rather than scary, action was just ok. The film races through the devastated international locations and exposition so fast there's simply no chance to make anything feel lived in. Stewart and McKellen are both criminally underused.

- I've anticipated the problems above, knowing beforehand that the future scenes will be brief and crammed with characters. What's really disappointing though is that much of the 70s, to me, fell just as flat, and that pretty much all of the relationships that should really matter here felt woefully undernourished.

- The relationship between Logan and young!Charles probably fares the best, since they actually spend a reasonable amount of time together and the film has to work on establishing and developing this new relationship instead of simply coasting on the work done in the previous film(s).

- I've looked forward to Charles' storyline and the consequences of what happened to him on that beach the most. But despite all the noises made in the interviews about how this is really his movie and suchlike, I thought that overall his arc kinda gets lost among all the plot and action and cutting between the time periods, and doesn't come through anywhere near as powerfully as Erik's origin story did in First Class. I also thought that, despite not having an angsty arc in that film, FC!Charles was actually a more intriguing and complicated character. And I think I'd actually have been more interested in learning how Charles got out of his depression in that original timeline, without the help of Wolverine and talk with old!Charles (which, make no mistake, was a cool scene).

- It was pretty much a given that, after his arc in FC, Erik's storyline was never going to be as compelling as it was in that film. Still, they surely could have done better than simply recycling X2 almost beat by beat: Magneto is in prison, Magneto gets busted out of prison, sticks with the team, leaves the team, turns the humans' inventions against them, escapes in the end. Ho-bloody-hum. Also, as much as I love Fassy, when it comes to supremacist mutant speechy-fying he's got nothing on Sir Ian's magnificent Shakesperean delivery. Sorry Fassy.

- My other major gripe is that whatever old!Magneto says, they never needed Magneto on the team. Not at all. The excuse that he was necessary because he was on good terms with Raven, like, years and years ago is rather flimsy. Especially when weighed against the massive risks of having Magneto on the loose and doing things his own way, like he's done in every single previous film. He's purely a self-created problem for the team and he's busted out of prison not because it makes sense but simply for the sake of adding tension to the story and being a bad guy in the absence of a truly dynamic villain.

- At this point, they seriously need to either come up with a fresh storyline for Magneto or write him out.

- Oh and JFK stuff felt really tacked on and pointless.

- I was very excited when I saw Peter Dinklage cast in this movie, but he doesn't have much to work with. His Trask is neither fun like Bacon in FC, nor does he have strong personal reasons and ties to the main characters that made Stryker interesting in X2. He's basically a plot device.

- Jennifer Lawrence was rather hit/miss. Her delivery in the airport scene was a tad flat and cringey. Mystique's vacillation between Erik and Charles was an interesting idea, but like most things in the movie it felt underdeveloped. Also, she might be a better actress than Romjin but in terms of pure physical presence she's no match for the original Mystique. That didn't matter so much in FC where she wasn't supposed to be kick-ash, but here the comparison is inevitable.

I still love the actors and characters on the goodwill from the previous movies, so hopefully Apocalypse will be better. Don't think I'll be in a hurry to watch DoFP again though.

Ok second viewing is done. And it is even better the second time. Wow just so captivating. The cinema was sold out. And it is the biggest cinema. Every moment there were the best reactions from people. Quicksilver was the highlight. They will definitely be bringing him back. The reception was fantastic.

The big final battle had me still on the edge. I almost get anxious while watching it. Both times that's happened for me. I feel so nervous and anxious and my body was numb. That's how much I care for those characters. While yes Storm didn't get to say too much she definitely made an impact. While small I think this is the best power display we have ever seen of her. Yes Sunspot had no dialogue he still had a nice little chunk of battle time devoted to him and it was great. I do wish we saw more of the original cast but the story is so captivating you don't even notice. Will be watching again tomorrow night.

And James, Michael, Jennifer, Peter and Hugh just nail every bit they are in. You can tell Jennifer has had a few more years experience. She was top notch. Nicholas was good but was just there you know. Still loved him. Bishop and Blink were the standout new mutants and of course Quicksilver. Can't wait to see the future of the franchise.

Is Singer still credited as the director of the flick?

Whoa...just caught the movie.

It is in the same league as The Avengers & Dark Knight. Finally fox has made X-men relevant again.

This movie could be the biggest grossing movie of the year (or 2nd to transformers 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"