Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me. Not only that, it's the best film I've ever seen.
Never understood why anyone would think FOTR is better (although that's also one of the best movies ever).

I think the first Hobbit film is great, but I can see why it's not everyones cup of tea.

I like the second one quite a bit, but it wasn't as good as I expected/hoped, definitely found it to be a drop off from Journey when I went into it expecting it to be better.

I guess the fact that so many around here that don't like ROTK (or atleast think it's the worst) are so down on this one is a pretty good sign for me.

ROTK is the best film you have seen?

Did you see it on a double bill with Simple Jack? ;)

It's amazing that anybody honestly thinks they can reasonably imply that any installment of LOTR is anything less than a great film on a technical level.

I've seen few films that even comes close, actually. LOTR (ROTK in particular, but the whole project) is a big part of what really made me interested in the effort and skill it takes to make movies.

Last edited:
Tacit Ronan said:
Y'all forgetting Toy Story.

3 was better than 2.

I would also Ultimatum over Supremacy. Though is that series discounted due to Legacy?

I actually found Toy Story 3 to be my least favorite in the Trilogy, was surprised by how well received it was, 2's probably my favorite one from the three.

Return of the King has some problems mainly with the third act and conclusion, some of which would suffocate Jackson's later films like the bloated editing. But I still think its a great movie in a great trilogy. I'd probably count Two Towers as my least favorite though if you go by the source material it's arguably incorrect to call it a trilogy in the first place.

Ten years and multiple viewings later, RoTK doesn't hold up nearly as well as its two predecessors.

It's not a trilogy until we get the Silmarilion.

It'll take Jackson 12 4-hour movies to shoot the Silmarillion, plus he's got to add in more characters and love triangles.

I'm pretty sure that the film rights for the Silmarillion belong with the Tolkien estate. Considering all of the b----ing Christopher Tolkien has done about the Jackson films, it's darned unlikely they will be sold to WB/New Line. Which is fine, as they would not translate well to film.

The copyright expires in 2043 in the UK, by which time it will be safely out of PJ's hands, one hopes.

It's amazing that anybody honestly thinks they can reasonably imply that any installment of LOTR is anything less than a great film on a technical level.

I've seen few films that even comes close, actually. LOTR (ROTK in particular, but the whole project) is a big of what really made me interested in the effort and skill it takes to make movies.
On a "technical" level RotK poorly written, poorly edited, poorly paced missing the structure and focus of the far superior FotR. RotK is also the one that suffers the most in the CGI and cinematography front.

Return of the King has some problems mainly with the third act and conclusion, some of which would suffocate Jackson's later films like the bloated editing. But I still think its a great movie in a great trilogy. I'd probably count Two Towers as my least favorite though if you go by the source material it's arguably incorrect to call it a trilogy in the first place.
The films are all very different. It is quite appropriate to call it a trilogy.

Ten years and multiple viewings later, RoTK doesn't hold up nearly as well as its two predecessors.
Boom agrees with me, Viggo agrees with me, need I say more? :woot:

I have to admit that Gollum in ROTK didn't look as good as he did in The Two Towers.

I have to admit that Gollum in ROTK didn't look as good as he did in The Two Towers.
The size, abudance and short turnaround on RotK did not lead to the prettiest film. It was like the warg scene in The Two Towers, on a bigger scale. The best CGI in either the LotR or the Hobbit is still to this day the Balrog. Majestic.

I was hoping that the trailer for the 3rd Hobbit would come up with Edge of Tomorrow, now I guess maybe Transformers? (even thou it's not a Warner movie)

The size, abudance and short turnaround on RotK did not lead to the prettiest film. It was like the warg scene in The Two Towers, on a bigger scale. The best CGI in either the LotR or the Hobbit is still to this day the Balrog. Majestic.

I thought the Nazguls' mounts were pretty good. They were the sort of CGI you take at face value, in any case.

Last edited:
So i recently downloaded desolation of smaug ( 720 P) . I'm waiting till the EE arrivés somewhere in december to buy it.
Anyway having watched the movie about half way in...i finally understand why many people are calling the VFX fake.
I watched Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D in High Frame Rate. I have to say... it baffles me just how much quality is lost when wathcing something in HFR and now in 720 P.
The VFX in HFR looked excellent...very very realistic. Not once ...seriously not once did i stop and think well that looks fake.

The gold thing will look fake however you see it, because gold simply doesn't behave in that way.

So i recently downloaded desolation of smaug ( 720 P) . I'm waiting till the EE arrivés somewhere in december to buy it.
Anyway having watched the movie about half way in...i finally understand why many people are calling the VFX fake.
I watched Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D in High Frame Rate. I have to say... it baffles me just how much quality is lost when wathcing something in HFR and now in 720 P.
The VFX in HFR looked excellent...very very realistic. Not once ...seriously not once did i stop and think well that looks fake.

Im in complete agreement with this. I will only see There and Back Again…ooops... The Battle of the Five Armies in HFR.

My problem with Return of the King is that Jackson tried to repeat the Battle of Helm's Deep on a larger scale. I think all the screentime should've been used to further flesh out Denethor and the Witch-King, among other things.

Poor Jackson. His perfect movie screwed by the lowest common theater standards. When will everything else stop Jackson from making masterpieces!!!!

The gold thing will look fake however you see it, because gold simply doesn't behave in that way.
Yeah, I love how some want to simply ignore this. :funny:

My problem with Return of the King is that Jackson tried to repeat the Battle of Helm's Deep on a larger scale. I think all the screentime should've been used to further flesh out Denethor and the Witch-King, among other things.
And it couldn't compare to the Battle of Helm's Deep at all. It is missing all the nuance, stakes, and fun of Helm's Deep.

Gawd I love these illustrations!
http://www.blackgate.com/2012/01/18/art-of-the-genre-remember-folks-the-hobbit-is-a-childrens-novel/
stm_v1_x09_e-1.jpg

mofm_v1_x5_e.jpg

batt_v1_x6_e.jpg

tgk_v1_x6_e.jpg

ritd_v1_x5_e.jpg

jg_battleoffivearmies_109_e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics