Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 18

If anyone is interested in seeing my JRR Tolkien book collection, you can see it at:

http://www.cloudvistas.com/the-world-of-j-r-r-tolkien/

If anyone has a lead on something you think I might want to purchase, let me know.

I'll probably get the movie at some point, but I'm not in a big hurry like I have been for some others.

If anyone is interested in seeing my JRR Tolkien book collection, you can see it at:

http://www.cloudvistas.com/the-world-of-j-r-r-tolkien/

If anyone has a lead on something you think I might want to purchase, let me know.

I'll probably get the movie at some point, but I'm not in a big hurry like I have been for some others.
Nice collection there Cali!! Yeah I just got the theatrical bluray/dvd/Digital at walmart (downloading the digital right this second)

I'm just gonna wait for the extended blu ray, I waited for the others so will just have to be patient again.

LOL It's just I want both versions. The Digital also has a piece "The last and First Dragon" extra that will be on the Extended but only available on the Digital right now

When does the extended blu-ray come out? Around November/December?

Most likely November, just like the other two.

Watching TBOTFA again, why do I feel like Bard is the character with the most screen time in this film?

Most likely November, just like the other two.

Watching TBOTFA again, why do I feel like Bard is the character with the most screen time in this film?

Yes Bard was given twice as much screen time than what my Tauriel got & Bard will probably get a lot more screen time in the extended cut.:cmad:

Did Kili ask Tauriel to marry him in Elvish language?

Last edited:
Nice collection there Cali!! Yeah I just got the theatrical bluray/dvd/Digital at walmart (downloading the digital right this second)

Thanks. As you can tell by the way I blather on, I've read virtually all of them and many of them many, many times. My favorite book (not from a reading standpoint, but from a "this is a cool book" standpoint) is Smith of Wootton Major. It's almost 50 years old and is in just about perfect shape.

I guess that sort of explains why I'm so disappointed in PJ. Oh well.......

Thanks. As you can tell by the way I blather on, I've read virtually all of them and many of them many, many times. My favorite book (not from a reading standpoint, but from a "this is a cool book" standpoint) is Smith of Wootton Major. It's almost 50 years old and is in just about perfect shape.

I guess that sort of explains why I'm so disappointed in PJ. Oh well.......
I just like the different variations. I can't AFFORD all those different books tho lol
I want that one set probably 30 years ago hard cover, I think it was 12 books. But that would be even more expensive today

I just like the different variations. I can't AFFORD all those different books tho lol
I want that one set probably 30 years ago hard cover, I think it was 12 books. But that would be even more expensive today

Yeah. The first US editions were published between I think 84 and 96. Some are relatively inexpensive (Lost Tales) and some aren't. I had some of them that were in great shape so I had a leg up. The cheapest I've seen a complete set is just over $1K, but most of those aren't in quite as good condition as mine. It didn't cost me near that to round out my collection, but a couple of them didn't come cheap. I did a LOT of research in order to get the best deals. Probably "The Lays of Beleriand" is my best copy (First Impression) and in like new condition. That was a hard one to find in the condition I wanted.

Well, I may or may not have just purchased a few items from Noble Collection (Letter opener replica of Thranduil's sword and Tauriel's knife (would have preferred Legolas' knife - but I don't think they ever made one) as well as the "Dwarven Treasure Coin" set) *Head desk* I'm terrible. That puts my list of middle earth film collectibles (of one sort or another) at

Argonath bookends (from Fellowship of the Ring EE)
Smeagol statue (from The Two Towers EE)
Minis Tirith (from Return of the King EE)
1/3 Scale Sting Miniature (Friend gave it to me as a gift)
1/6 Scale Thorin Oakenshield statue
"No Admittance" magnet
The Seal of Thorin (stone pendant/necklace)
Orcrist, Sting, & Glamdring Letter opener set
Thorin's Map & Key
Thorin's Key key chain
Bilbo's Contract
Bilbo & Gollum Statue (An Unexpected Journey EE)
1/6 Scale Thranduil statue
Erebor Bookends (Desolation of Smaug Theatrical Collector's set)
"Barrel Rider" statue (Desolation of Smaug EE)

(Waiting to arrive)
Thranduil's Sword Letter Opener
Tauriel's Knife Letter Opener
Dwarven Treasure Coin Set

All that leaves is whatever they have with the BOTFA Extended Edition collector's set. I'm nuts *lol*

Well, I may or may not have just purchased a few items from Noble Collection (Letter opener replica of Thranduil's sword and Tauriel's knife (would have preferred Legolas' knife - but I don't think they ever made one) as well as the "Dwarven Treasure Coin" set) *Head desk* I'm terrible. That puts my list of middle earth film collectibles (of one sort or another) at

"No Admittance" magnet
Thorin's Map & Key
Thorin's Key key chain
Bilbo's Contract

(Waiting to arrive)

All that leaves is whatever they have with the BOTFA Extended Edition collector's set. I'm nuts *lol*

I have the EE stuff from the DVDs. That's it. God, these marketing people are intentionally trying to drive me crazy. They don't have the knife of Legolas (and it was a noted weapon in the book) who Tolkien wrote fondly of and do have the knife of someone that never existed in the Tolkien universe. :cwink::huh::loco:

"No Admittance" magnet
Thorin's Map & Key
Thorin's Key key chain
Bilbo's Contract

(Waiting to arrive)

Don't they have rings???

Don't they have rings???
Oh, there are various ring replicas --- oddly enough I simply haven't gotten one (i'm kind of scared to say, yet?? I don't know if I'll get one.... maybe around the time BOTFA Extended comes out I'll splurge....again *lol*)

I finally saw this the nite before last. It's the first one of the six I didnt see on the big screen. IMO its the best of the prequeals. Still, it has to much of legolas doing over the top crazy stuff, ie, running up falling rocks. but overall i'd give it an 8/10.

It's not in the same ballpark as the orignal lotr's trilogy, but it's in the parking lot, next door, at McDonalds.

At the parking lot at McDonalds in the next city sure :up:;)

I finally saw this the nite before last. It's the first one of the six I didnt see on the big screen. IMO its the best of the prequeals. Still, it has to much of legolas doing over the top crazy stuff, ie, running up falling rocks. but overall i'd give it an 8/10.

It's not in the same ballpark as the orignal lotr's trilogy, but it's in the parking lot, next door, at McDonalds.
lol I snicker every time at that lol

"No Admittance" magnet
Thorin's Map & Key
Thorin's Key key chain
Bilbo's Contract

(Waiting to arrive)

heh My daughter thinks I'm nuts for getting both extended and Theatrical versions lol

heh My daughter thinks I'm nuts for getting both extended and Theatrical versions lol

My daughter is young, so she still thinks that is normal behavior. I have the theatrical and extended versions of all the LOTR and Hobbit films (not counting the extended BOTFA of course).....I love them all.

I'm currently watching all the extra discs that come with the extended versions (almost finished with disc 2 of TH:AUJ)......man, Jackson gives the fans plenty to watch. :yay:

My daughter is young, so she still thinks that is normal behavior. I have the theatrical and extended versions of all the LOTR and Hobbit films (not counting the extended BOTFA of course).....I love them all.

I'm currently watching all the extra discs that come with the extended versions (almost finished with disc 2 of TH:AUJ)......man, Jackson gives the fans plenty to watch. :yay:
Yeah I have all the sets too so far. I explained that if it weren't for Hobbit and LotR MANY MANY things wouldn't be around like my of the RPG type games

From the Encyclopedia of Arda review of Battle of Five Armies:

The Nazgul have a strange ghostly quality (and indeed at one point Elrond tells one of them, 'you should have stayed dead'). This ties in with the eariler films' references to the 'tombs of the Nazgul', but it doesn't really have a basis in Tolkien's Nazgul, who were simply Mortal Men whose lives had been stretched over millennia by their Nine Rings. There are certainly ghosts and spirits in Tolkien's world, but the Nazgul weren't among them.

It's perhaps not entirely obvious what happens to Sauron at the end of the Dol Goldur sequence. Galadriel tries to banish him 'back to the Void', but she thinks that instead he will flee into the East. It's not obvious from the movie (unlike the books) that this was Sauron's plan all along: he anticipated an attack and used it to cloak his planned withdrawal to Mordor (which is how he comes to be there in The Fellowship of the Ring).

Thorin is desperate to recover the Arkenstone (though as we now know for sure, Bilbo secretly took possession of it in The Desolation of Smaug). Previous films have vaguely hinted that there was something faintly mystical about the Heart of the Mountain, and that it somehow conferred the power of command on its holder. Indeed the whole purpose of the Quest (in the film's version of events) was to recover the Arkenstone so that Thorin would have the power to command all the Dwarves. That power doesn't seem to have been necessary after all, as Thorin has no apparent problem to calling on Dain's army without any need for the Heart of the Mountain. Ultimately the movie leaves the nature of the Arkenstone as an unexplained mystery.

Bard demands that Thorin turn over a share of the Mountain's gold based on his promises back in The Desolation of Smaug, but he fails to mention a rather stronger claim: part of the gold is actually his. Smaug gathered the treasure of Dale into the Mountain, so as heir of Girion, Bard and his people clearly have a reasonable claim to have that treasure returned to them. Bard makes this claim explicitly in the book, but though the same right applies in the film, too, he chooses not to mention it.

Gandalf finally reveals Sauron's purpose in marching his Orcs on Erebor: it has a strategic position that is 'the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the north'. This is one of those points in the film where it seems to be using its own independent geography, because Angmar is about five hundred miles west (not north) of Erebor, beyond Mirkwood, the Great River and the Misty Mountains, and has no obvious connection to the Lonely Mountain whatsoever. What's more, Angmar has been a dead and empty land for more than a thousand years at this point, so if Sauron really wanted to reclaim it, there's absolutely nothing to stop him. Finally, Gundabad is right on the borders of Angmar, so its armies are marching hundreds of miles to attack the Lonely Mountain in order to recapture a country that's practically on their doorstep in the other direction.

Taking it as read that Sauron needs to hold the Lonely Mountain, that still doesn't explain why he sends out two separate armies against it. When he laid these plans, it had been held by Smaug - who's evidently at least sympathetic to Sauron's cause in the movies - for nearly two hundred years. At the time the army set out from Dol Goldur, then, there was no battle for it to fight at Erebor, and in fact no need for it to be there at all. Sauron's scheme only makes sense if he somehow already knew that Smaug was going to be slain, and how things would unfold afterwards.

Neither Legolas nor Tauriel have any part to play in the book's version of the battle, for the straightforward reason that neither of them is in the book at all. In the movie, Legolas' part is significant enough that he becomes the slayer of Bolg. Bolg in the book is crushed by Beorn, who has a huge part to play in the battle, breaking the enemy lines and putting them to rout. Beorn is there in the movie version, too, but so briefly that he's barely noticeable.

The scene where Legolas takes leave of his father has no book equivalent (because Legolas isn't in the book) and indeed it's the first hint we've had from any source that Legolas and Thranduil are estranged. Thranduil recommends that he seek out Arathorn, and says, 'he is a good man', then goes on to mention his son 'Strider' with the potential to be a great one. These comments don't mesh with the book's timing; on Tolkien's chronology, Arathron had died eight years beforehand, while Strider was just ten years old at this point. This seems to imply that these characters have slightly different timelines in the movie universe (though when Aragorn gives his age in the Extended Edition of The Two Towers - eighty-seven - it matches up with Tolkien's original dating).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"