Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 18

They never should have been three movies. The Hobbit wasn't a LotR type story, but the studio got dollar signs in its eyes and PJ either couldn't or wouldn't say no. It's a nice small story that was turned into a bloated, ugly, CGI mess.

I especially despised the added nonsense with the Master of Laketown. I found all of that to be just dumb.

Last edited:
You mean three movies. Two movies actually made sense. Even Guillermo del Toro's version was going to be two.

Still, there are incredible elements that are in them and I'm glad Peter Jackson ultimately made them even just to have Martin Freeman as Bilbo, Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug and the return of Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis. The parts that are directly from the book, he nails completely.

You mean three movies. Two movies actually made sense. Even Guillermo del Toro's version was going to be two.

Still, there are incredible elements that are in them and I'm glad Peter Jackson ultimately made them even just to have Martin Freeman as Bilbo, Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug and the return of Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis. The parts that are directly from the book, he nails completely.
I agree with the things you highlight as strengths. Howard Shore was again excellent with scoring duties. I liked how Thorin was presented for the most part, and thought the expansion of Bard was palatable. The investigation of Dol Guldur was logical to show in live action, rather than explaining Gandalf's absence away at the end through dialogue.

I actually didn't mind them bringing Azog back from the dead, either. It gave added reason for the dogged pursuit which intensifies after they encounter the Goblin King.

I don't get hot and bothered about The Hobbit movies like some do because I can easily isolate them in my mind as a seperate entity. The book is always going to be at the top of the tree.

I have tremendous sympathy for Peter Jackson and the situation he was faced with making the Hobbit. They have some prequel trilogy vibes for sure but were made in very different circumstances. Unlike Lucas who managed to maintain creative control over his films, Jackson was answering to suits who were the reason why rubbish like an elf/dwarf love triangle were added. Because of the success of LOTR and the expectations set, he may have ended up with less control than when he was an unknown. I don't think he even wanted to make them either. He was on board for Del Toro to do his thing, and ended up the center of a New Zealand actors' union dispute, so might have stepped in just to preserve everybody's jobs.

The Hobbit could be done in one film, but it's a lean book with a lot of stuff in it, so it would be a squeeze. It makes sense to make it in 2 films, especially when you factor in costs. I also think it's understandable to want to make the most of Ian McKellen and explore what Gandalf was doing while he was away from the company. I get why you'd massively expand the battle for the sake of cinema. Other stuff is more questionable.

They never should have been two movies. The Hobbit wasn't a LotR type story, but the studio got dollar signs in its eyes and PJ either couldn't or wouldn't say no. It's a nice small story that was turned into a bloated, ugly, CGI mess.

I especially despised the added nonsense with the Master of Laketown. I found all of that to be just dumb.

You should definitely check out the M4 Hobbit edit. I think it might really satisfy, it's remarkable what careful curation has done for the film's tone..

I didn't know that about where it ended. The tackling isn't a good creative choice but at least it culminates. I'm not saying it's good, but there's something to it where there's a sense of completion to it. But this is all a result of the bigger issue of a three film decision like you said.

I guess that's just where we differ then with the BOTFA. I see your perspective, and maybe I could be convinced if I was shown, that's just where I'm at.

I feel the usual doubt I feel when I've asserted new information, but yeah I believe the original 2-film plan was to split the story at the end of the company's escape from the elves. Once the plan was changed, the warg attack/eagle rescue was tweaked to act as the finale. As you said, it works well enough, but ripples out and causes problems down the line.

I can definitely see how the battle itself is largely superfluous, Bilbo is knocked out for the duration in the book afterall, but I think there is enough meat in the build up to justify its presence. It's a lot about Thorin and his decline of course, but Bilbo himself plays a significant part, fulfilling his job as burglar and stealing the Arkenstone to try to bargain his friends out of a war.

A lot of what's in the film BOTFA can go regardless.

Last edited:
the movies have a lot great stuff, like the locations (the design, not how artificial they looked in the end...), Martin Freeman as Bilbo,...
But what I dislike the most is that ridiculous video game action with unrealistic jump‘n run sequences...in goblin town, during the fight with smaug in erebor and mostly on raven hill.
When this movie was announced, a lot of people where concerned, if it will be like the starwars prequels. It turned out being exactly like it with unnecessary cgi and action sequences.
I kinda enjoyed the barrel flight, because it was like a theme park ride.

They never should have been two movies. The Hobbit wasn't a LotR type story, but the studio got dollar signs in its eyes and PJ either couldn't or wouldn't say no. It's a nice small story that was turned into a bloated, ugly, CGI mess.

The Hobbit isn't a small story. Its an adventure covering hundreds of miles, has 13 protagonists, deals with the ancestral home of the Thorin's family, a gigantic treasure, a Goblin king, a notorious dragon, Bard and his family history, and a massive battle between 5 armies. And during all that Gandalf is disappearing to go deal with some serious ****.

It only seems small because Tolkien glossed over a lot, didn't develop the characters in depth, doesn't deal with Gandalf's adventures at all, summarized lots of events and stretches of time, and weirdly had Bilbo unconsciousfor the climax. A film adaption didn't have the same luxuries as the book. Trying to cram the book's story into a single film would have either resulted in a very loose adaption or a very rushed and poorly developed film. Fans of the book would have whined about Jackson not including their favorite bits, and the liberties he would have needed to take to condense the story.

I remember following the production of this so closely and being so disappointed by the end result. Definitely taught me to temper my expectations from then on.

The love and effort was there. The planning was not. Peter Jackson made his very own prequel trilogy, but his circumstances were more sympathetic in my opinion, and the films are better. There are consistently strong performances here for one, a ton of legitimately good moments and a couple exceptional ones. Many of the worst traits of the films appear to have been studio mandated (like expanding roles for Legolas and the love triangle with Tauriel) or compromised by time (over-use of cg). Doesn't necessarily make the experience better to know that, but a lot of the issues with 'The Hobbit' were imposed on the film-maker, not the weaknesses of the film-maker.

It's a shame that it didn't pan out organically, but I'm grateful to Jackson for doing a really good job with the scenes that mattered. You can trim the fat and there's a jewel in the center. Again, I can't say that about the Star Wars prequels.

Question for the more knowledgeable members than I am.
In LoTR, (and the books too but I don't remember) it was said that Orcs usually travel at night but were boosted by the will of Sauron to move by day.
In The Hobbit, Orcs move by day apparently casually, was this also because of Sauron and is there an explanation for that in the book ?

Question for the more knowledgeable members than I am.
In LoTR, (and the books too but I don't remember) it was said that Orcs usually travel at night but were boosted by the will of Sauron to move by day.
In The Hobbit, Orcs move by day apparently casually, was this also because of Sauron and is there an explanation for that in the book ?

In the Hobbit book, the Orcs are able to move by daylight during the Battle of the Five Armies because they have a swarm of giant bats flying overhead to blot out the sun.

In the movies, I guess it's because they're being driven by Sauron. But it should be made clear that Sauron's role is not nearly as explicit in the text as it is in the movies. So this was somewhat of a liberty taken by Jackson.

Last edited:
It was also, that the orcs only were able to invade Gondor, because Sauron sent darkness from Mordor.
The Uruk-Hai (both Isengard and Mordor)were able to walk in the daylight

The Uruk-Hai, I had no doubt.
The question occurred to me about the Orcs while watching again The Hobbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"