Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Andy Serkis is helping Mark Ruffalo out with the Hulk in AVENGERS Age of Ultron!

Did I miss something? I just read the title of the third one is The Battle of Five Armies, I thought it was There and Back Again.

Yeah I liked There and Back again because of Bilbo's book

Yeah same here. I thought it had a very sentimental feel to it. But I'm okay with the new one.

" the Hobbit: There and back again from the Battle of Five Armies" is just a TAD too long lol

G4LaJuW.jpg

nzF9JAQ.jpg

r0tHqOD.jpg

viMWymL.jpg

He reminds me of Edgar from Men in Black.

So I'm gonna guess either Edge of Tomorrow or Jupiter Ascending for the trailer?
I thought Godzilla would have been ideal.

Depends on how much work still needs to be done on the movie.
I wouldn't be surprised if WB will release just one trailer somewhere in Oct Nov

The DOS trailer was in June last year, I imagine they will follow that. This being the last one they are going to promote the hell out of it. There is no way they will wait that late to start.

While I thought the first trilogy were examples of great filmmaking, I think these Hobbit films are nothing more than just popcorn crap.

While I thought the first trilogy were examples of great filmmaking, I think these Hobbit films are nothing more than just popcorn crap.

I agree. They've been huge disappointments.

Surely nobody can manage to be disappointed the third time around, though? I think there are three variables-

1) You have been lapping up this crap all along, and you are hungry for more of the same.

2) Your expectations have been so utterly crushed by parts one and two that you will choose a seat near to the exit and watch it through your fingers.

3) You won't see it.

We should be getting a trailer this month.

I wonder if Jackson will make the battle epic in a completely overwhelming scale even though the actual battle is a footnote of a footnote in Middle Earth history. It will probably triple the scale of Helm's Deep and Pelenor Fields. How many times will Legolas surf off of stuff this time? Will his father join him? Will his friendzoned girldfriend murder two dozen orcs in a minute this time instead of one? What of the Dwarves? They were able to magically gain super strength in the barrel sequence and embed orcs to tree barks with one spear throw. Will they be even stronger here? Questions to ponder.

Surely nobody can manage to be disappointed the third time around, though? I think there are three variables-

1) You have been lapping up this crap all along, and you are hungry for more of the same.

2) Your expectations have been so utterly crushed by parts one and two that you will choose a seat near to the exit and watch it through your fingers.

3) You won't see it.

Option 3 for me, though I will probably watch it at least once on DVD just out of curiosity.

The only reason I'd go to see it in theatres would be if I was hanging out with a bunch of friends and the whole group decided to go. I'd join them as a social occasion. But I won't be seeking to see the movie on my own.

I must say that the sheer length of these movies is some impediment to seeing them at the theater. You can't really make an evening of it. They aren't an easy watch, either, and they certainly feel their length.

I think the Christmas release is in their favour. Seasonal goodwill and the desire to avoid talking to anyone for a few hours may encourage me to overcome my best instincts and put myself through it again.

Ill go see it just because Ive seen the other two and might as well see the end to this. But the film keeps slipping my mind. I have zero excitement for this film. If it got canceled i probably wouldnt even care.

Ill go see it just because Ive seen the other two and might as well see the end to this. But the film keeps slipping my mind. I have zero excitement for this film. If it got canceled i probably wouldnt even care.
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Its a damn shame this has happened. I really thought I would enjoy this trilogy more than the LOTR trilogy, but its such a mess and the complete opposite of efficient storytelling. There is a good and tight plot buried under mounds of crap.

Here's a pretty fair article detailing the differences between Desolation of Smaug and the book: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug.html

A shorter article would have been what is the same between the film and the the book.

Regarding geography, it is a mess in the films. Azog making it to Dol Guldor and Bolg making it to Mirkwood by the time the dwarves are captured is utterly impossible. The distance to and back from Dol Guldor is like the article said 500 miles or so...so either Azog or Bolg have bats to fly on or they can teleport or the company stayed at Beorn's for a month and the film skips this. Either way Jackson seems to care so little about the geography of middle earth. To the point of breaking plausibility. I know the majority wont notice it, but even on first viewing I thought this apparent fast travel was strange.

Last edited:
I'll be there for Thorin's story.

I didn't notice the geography discrepancies It felt like Jackson could've done a better job intertwining the story of Dol Guldur and Smaug to make the trilogy more cohesive. Alternatively, he could also have given each of these plots its own film while finding a way to give Bilbo plenty of screentime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"