Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed enough with the first one that I rented the sequel at redbox and will do the same with the next just so I can finish the story.

I am eagerly awaiting the Battle of Five Armies. Hopefully Jackson can break the trilogy curse that plagues cinema.

I am eagerly awaiting the Battle of Five Armies. Hopefully Jackson can break the trilogy curse that plagues cinema.

Considering both TLoTR and The Hobbit are one long film broken into three parts rather then a trilogy... you are going to be waiting a long time :p

As I understand it, the 'trilogy curse' as it's referred to relates to having two good movies followed a bad or otherwise disappointing third.

So that's been out of the question since December 2012. :O

I am of the camp that liked the preceding two films in this trilogy, and felt ROTK fell to the curse (although its problems were mostly from the source material.)

Considering both TLoTR and The Hobbit are one long film broken into three parts rather then a trilogy... you are going to be waiting a long time :p

Heh.

Im expecting Battle of the Five Armies to have all of the problems of ROTK cranked up to the nth degree and with the added bonus of the issues that come with a prequel trying to tie directly into another film (FOTR). So Im expecting this film to be the cream of the crop of cinema disasters. To describe the LOTR Jackson always used the analogy of a train speeding down the tracks while he desparately ran ahead trying to lay track. Well I have an analogy, the Hobbit train is pulling into the station, the conductor is stroking, the throttle's hung up and the breaks are shot to hell.

Im expecting Battle of the Five Armies to have all of the problems of ROTK cranked up to the nth degree and with the added bonus of the issues that come with a prequel trying to tie directly into another film (FOTR). So Im expecting this film to be the cream of the crop of cinema disasters. To describe the LOTR Jackson always used the analogy of a train speeding down the tracks while he desparately ran ahead trying to lay track. Well I have an analogy, the Hobbit train is pulling into the station, the conductor is stroking, the throttle's hung up and the breaks are shot to hell.
I couldn't have said it better myself. It will be an exercise in futility. After the climax of DoS can you really expect anything else? It is going to be that ridiculous, mixed with the long winded RotK finale.

Return of the King is my favourite of the original trilogy. I'm excited to see what Jackson does with the third film.

Are there things I would change about this trilogy? No doubt about it. However, I'm just glad they're being made and they aren't complete disasters.

One of my concerns with the battle is
that they'll mess up the deaths of Kili and Fili by having Tauriel die by Kili's side and Fili either die somewhere else or not die at all. Then when Thorin's buried in Lonely Mountain, Kili will be buried with Tauriel and there will be a big deal made about their tragic doomed love (that nobody in the audience liked or cared about) and Fili will be ignored or close to it.

Trilogy curse has been broken multiple times, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is probably the best example.

That's only a trilogy in the loosest sense, Lord.

True, loose trilogies are usually the easiest way to make a strong 3rd part, Iron Man 3 for example worked so well for being a different thing from the previous ones, but was more of an Avengers sequel. I frankly don't see any problem with Return of the King that makes it weaker than the other 2, the extended edition's one of my favorite movies.

RotK is great. Definitely my favorite one.

But usually the worst film is the third. It happens more times than not.

Trilogy curse has been broken multiple times, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is probably the best example.

But the two movies prior to it were good- a totally different situation to The Hobbit.

But usually the worst film is the third. It happens more times than not.

I can't think of an example where that isn't the case, even if the third movie is pretty good. Lord has probably cited the best example, but I personally prefer 'Fist Full'.

That reminds me, I'm due to watch the Man With No Name Trilogy soon.

But the two movies prior to it were good- a totally different situation to The Hobbit.

In that case, Episode III has been the best of the SW Prequels

That reminds me, I'm due to watch the Man With No Name Trilogy soon.

I was thinking the same thing. Might be tonight...

In that case, Episode III has been the best of the SW Prequels

Yeah, that's a fair observation. It still felt like the best polished turd, though.

Y'all forgetting Toy Story.

3 was better than 2.

I would also Ultimatum over Supremacy. Though is that series discounted due to Legacy?

Y'all forgetting Toy Story.

3 was better than 2.

I would also Ultimatum over Supremacy. Though is that series discounted due to Legacy?

No Legacyis a continuation of Ultimatum and tge CIA woman that helped Jason is in Legacy. And Jason and the events of the first three films are mentioned.

All the Bourne movies bore me to tears, but then the spectacle of Mett Demen jogging around while looking squinty and confused has a limited appeal to me.

Ah, that's a good one! Temple of Doom is a piece of ****, I don't care what anyone says.

RotK is great. Definitely my favorite one.

Same for me. Not only that, it's the best film I've ever seen.
Never understood why anyone would think FOTR is better (although that's also one of the best movies ever).

I think the first Hobbit film is great, but I can see why it's not everyones cup of tea.

I like the second one quite a bit, but it wasn't as good as I expected/hoped, definitely found it to be a drop off from Journey when I went into it expecting it to be better.

I guess the fact that so many around here that don't like ROTK (or atleast think it's the worst) are so down on this one is a pretty good sign for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"