Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
about two years ago I finally read my copy of Children of Hurin that my dad bought me. From googling I can't quite figure out if there was actually anything new in the book or not. I'd previously read the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost tales and whilst reading Hurin I thought, I've read this all before. Google seems to be telling me it was a compilation of the bits and pieces from previous books but I can't see anything saying if any new material was added.

So I still never got around to seeing Five Armies. And at this point I think I'm just going to wait to pick up the extended version. Anyone have any ideas when that one will be coming our way? I know the theatrical is coming out in March so what do you figure? 4-5 months after that?

So I still never got around to seeing Five Armies. And at this point I think I'm just going to wait to pick up the extended version. Anyone have any ideas when that one will be coming our way? I know the theatrical is coming out in March so what do you figure? 4-5 months after that?
If it follows the pattern of all the other extended editions (including all 3 LOTR EE's), it probably won't be until later this year (November or so). Though it's possible they could change it up and release it sooner.

I thought about that as well with the November release. Guess just wishful thinking on my part that maybe they'd do it late in the summer. Wish I didn't have to wait til next winter haha.

If it follows the pattern of all the other extended editions (including all 3 LOTR EE's), it probably won't be until later this year (November or so). Though it's possible they could change it up and release it sooner.

They havent changed it up for the last five movies so I wouldnt count on it happening this time. The Extended Editions always come out in November (FOTR, TTT, AUJ, DOS) or December (ROTK).

I'm holding out for extended editions for sure.

Bleh sucks to have to wait until next winter :/

It won't be worth the wait.

So you somehow feel the extended edition won't be better than the theatrical? Like I said I haven't seen the film yet. But from what I gather from most people is that the film suffered because it lacked things. And those things presumably will obviously be on the extended edition.

Personally, I feel the movies suffer because they are pumped full of second-rate fan fiction, extraneous character-complication ("development") and crude CGI used to render absurd and repetitive climaxes.

If anything, it is a blessing that we saw no more of PJ's horrific interpretation of Beorn, or the creepy CGI Dain Ironfoot.

about two years ago I finally read my copy of Children of Hurin that my dad bought me. From googling I can't quite figure out if there was actually anything new in the book or not. I'd previously read the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost tales and whilst reading Hurin I thought, I've read this all before. Google seems to be telling me it was a compilation of the bits and pieces from previous books but I can't see anything saying if any new material was added.

anyone?

Personally, I feel the movies suffer because they are pumped full of second-rate fan fiction, extraneous character-complication ("development") and crude CGI used to render absurd and repetitive climaxes.

If anything, it is a blessing that we saw no more of PJ's horrific interpretation of Beorn, or the creepy CGI Dain Ironfoot.

There's just something about the sets in the LOTR trilogy that doesn't quite gel with those in the Hobbit trilogy. Watching LOTR, it is almost like you are really there in the Shire. Its like you can feel its warmth, the grass between your toes, smell the age of Bag End, the dust in Moria, the loam and dampness when the Hobbit are hiding from the Black Rider. I don't get any of this from the Hobbit.

So you somehow feel the extended edition won't be better than the theatrical? Like I said I haven't seen the film yet. But from what I gather from most people is that the film suffered because it lacked things. And those things presumably will obviously be on the extended edition.

I just think it was poorly done and the story strayed in some weird, unbelieveable (yeah, I know Middle-earth never really existed) ways. I felt like PJ just sort of mailed this one in. What's he going to do in the extended edition? Remove some of the characters that aren't in the book (almost did a spoiler there)?

I didn't find it completely unenjoyable, but only because I just sort of convinced myself that it really wasn't The Hobbit. It was just PJ telling some story and it was okay. After painfully getting through $#!t formers: Age of Stinknation, TBotFA was a walk in the park; just not that great of a park.

As far as when the extended edition will be released, who knows? It may be that they released the last two EEs when they did because they wanted to drum up excitement for the next two movies (released like a month later). Now that there (thankfully) isn't a fourth, maybe they'll release it earlier.

Not sure about The Children of Hurin and how much new (or different takes on the stories) material it had. I haven't read it in a long time, so I'm not too sure.

There's just something about the sets in the LOTR trilogy that doesn't quite gel with those in the Hobbit trilogy. Watching LOTR, it is almost like you are really there in the Shire. Its like you can feel its warmth, the grass between your toes, smell the age of Bag End, the dust in Moria, the loam and dampness when the Hobbit are hiding from the Black Rider. I don't get any of this from the Hobbit.

LotR was definitely done better. Could have been even better, but, hey, I'm probably not going to be satisfied until I see Bombadil, Fog on the Barrow downs, Farmer Maggot, a real meeting with Gildor Inglorion, Glorfindel, The Scouring of the Shire, and so on.

Yeah, yeah....I know, wasn't fit for a film and so on.....personally, I chalk it up to a lack of creativity on the part of those responsible for the film for not being able to make it interesting in their own minds.

Finally got my Exclusive tee from my kids. :more:
g5QCDaD.jpg

ncMUqSI.jpg

That's a pretty cool effect for a T-shirt

Today, not only did we get the DVD/Blu-ray release of The Battle of the Five Armies, but we also got the Honest Trailer and How It Should Have Ended videos too. Both are fairly accurate and hilarious.

[YT]r4xxym2tyEM[/YT]

[YT]TZm_Zth0rhw[/YT]

I think I might wait it out for just the 4K extended version. For once not going to buy everything. With new standards that would be up to 6 different versions.

I bought the theatrical versions of the movies because apart from being a completist, I would buy them for the special features since they aren't included in the special features on the extended versions. This time around I wouldn't have been missing anything. Virtually all of the special features have been on Youtube for a few months now. At least they never half-ass the extended edition special features. It's a shame. I remember when the Lord of the Rings theatrical versions came out on DVD, they were loaded with cool bonus features that weren't ported over to the extended editions that made them worth picking up and holding on to.

Those Honest Trailers are all the same. Funny at first and then just mindless fanboy/girl complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"