Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scouring of the shire is a beautiful moment in the books, one painfully absent from the films. The film ending is a bit too trite and simplistic. It just skips along to a Hallmark moment at Grey Havens without an interlude that reminds us of the costs of war.

I thought the idea of Saruman in the Shire was kid of stupid, he was only mentioned in the books. He had no scenes and then all of a sudden there he is wanting revenge on the hobbits by over turning their world. How the hell did he know about them, it was never alluded to that he knew of them at all in the books. He himself was vaguely alluded to within the story.

The cost of war? All the men who lost their lives in the story, Bilbo never recovering from his wounds and emotional scars. The only cost of war that affected the shire was that one hobbit that betrayed everyone and was then forgiven, oh and the party tree was destroyed. In the end the shire was a ok! In the end a guy like Saruman (as I said before there was no mention of him even knowing the hobbits exit) how lame it was for him as a real baddie taking such lame revenge. He's Saruman the white for god sakes, if he wanted revenge he should of done it to Aragon, that's more his grandeur as the big bad dude; he was alluded to!

So I guess the cost of war is an attack from your enemy after you've defeated him? So after WWII with all the celebrations Hitler should have not committed suicide and should have destroyed New York City to get back at us, by your logic!

Last edited:
Yeah, and Grima stabbed him atop the tower, if I recall correctly? So it is basically the same death as in the book.

Nope. He got his throat slit and didn't fall 500 feet onto a !@#$%^&* spiked wheel!
FA2CI9v.gif

The scouring of the shire is a beautiful moment in the books, one painfully absent from the films. The film ending is a bit too trite and simplistic. It just skips along to a Hallmark moment at Grey Havens without an interlude that reminds us of the costs of war.

Agreed, but the movie was long enough as it was (even without the Extended Edition), I don't think movie goers could've handled another 30 minutes to do the Shire scene justice.

Nope. He got his throat slit and didn't fall 500 feet onto a !@#$%^&* spiked wheel!
FA2CI9v.gif
Grima did him in both versions, he slit his throat in the book and stabbed him in the back in the movie. Peter just added in the cliche of the villain falling from a high presipice.

Last edited:
My favorite of the Hobbit trilogy.

Still doesn't hold a candle to the LOTR Trilogy.

I just realized something. I don't think I've ever seen the extended version of Return of the King.

The biggest thing I took away from The Hobbit?

Bilbo > Frodo

Yeah. I think somewhere along the line I ended up missing it and thinking to myself I watched it. I've seen FotR, TT, and AUJ in their extended format but I'm pretty sure RotK I missed. Need to go watch it I suppose.

Haven't seen the extended version of DoS either.

From an interview with Peter and Philipa.
http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/19/peter-jackson-philippa-boyens-the-hobbit-interview/

Now that the entire franchise is done, are there any characters from "The Hobbit" that you're sad you can't move into "Lord of the Rings"?

PB: You're the person to ask that!

PJ: You mean retrospectively?

PB: Tauriel.

PJ: Tauriel.

PB: I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is.

PJ: We're really three or four years away from eight and nine year-olds discovering these movies and watching them in this order and will be wondering why she doesn't show up in "Lord of the Rings." Maybe we'll get Evangeline down to New Zealand, shoot a bunch of stuff, chop it up and put it into a box set.

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays when Elrond appears at Dol Goldur? I'm leafing through the extended soundtrack right now, on iTunes.

Oh boy.

Boom, Regwec and Darth are going to have a field day with this.

PJ: We're really three or four years away from eight and nine year-olds discovering these movies and watching them in this order and will be wondering why she doesn't show up in "Lord of the Rings." Maybe we'll get Evangeline down to New Zealand, shoot a bunch of stuff, chop it up and put it into a box set.

Ph1texZ.gif

Its like Peter Jackson wants 2 out do George Lucas

I thought the idea of Saruman in the Shire was kid of stupid, he was only mentioned in the books. He had no scenes and then all of a sudden there he is wanting revenge on the hobbits by over turning their world. How the hell did he know about them, it was never alluded to that he knew of them at all in the books. He himself was vaguely alluded to within the story.

Yes it was- try reading it. The chapter "Flotsam and Jetsam" shows evidence that Saruman had been meddling in The Shire for some time.

The cost of war? All the men who lost their lives in the story, Bilbo never recovering from his wounds and emotional scars. The only cost of war that affected the shire was that one hobbit that betrayed everyone and was then forgiven, oh and the party tree was destroyed. In the end the shire was a ok!

That...isn't what happened. Again, try reading the book.

In the end a guy like Saruman (as I said before there was no mention of him even knowing the hobbits exit) how lame it was for him as a real baddie taking such lame revenge. He's Saruman the white for god sakes, if he wanted revenge he should of done it to Aragon, that's more his grandeur as the big bad dude; he was alluded to!

The whole point of Saruman's revenge is its pettiness, because that shows how far he has fallen, and makes a final point about the corrupting influence of a lust for power, which is one of the major themes of the entire Tolkien myth cycle. The key moment comes when Frodo won't have Saruman killed, because he pities him, and Saruman is enraged and humiliated at being pitied by such a meek and humble being.

This is all made quite clear in the book...

So I guess the cost of war is an attack from your enemy after you've defeated him? So after WWII with all the celebrations Hitler should have not committed suicide and should have destroyed New York City to get back at us, by your logic!

:huh:

That comment is so bizarre that I don't really know what to do with it.

Firstly, you seem to be confusing Saruman and Sauron. They are different characters: check out the movies if you don't want to read the books.

Secondly, Saruman's coup in the Shire is not merely a revenge attack as such, but an attempt to grasp at any thin straws of power that he can. By this point, he has fallen from his lofty position, but remains obsessively proud and hungry for power. The Shire offers him the opportunity to be a big fish in a tiny pond and, given his reduced circumstances, he grabs at it.

Thirdly, an important point is that much of the damage is done by (paraphrase) "stupid Hobbits who only want to be important". Tolkien is making a point about the petty officialdom which followed England's victory in WWII, after which the state absorbed swathes of industry, commerce, infrastructure etc. In Tolkien's mind, England was aping its defeated enemy, which is just what happens in the Shire. He is also making a broader point about the heroes in a war rarely being the ones to enjoy the peace that follows. Though the Shire is somewhat repaired, Frodo remains estranged from it, and never really gets "home".

:funny: I can only assume they are being tongue-in-cheek with those comments.

Right?

:csad:
To be honest I don't know anymore. We have but one question to ask ourselves: When will this canon meddling end?

Yes it was- try reading it. The chapter "Flotsam and Jetsam" shows evidence that Saruman had been meddling in The Shire for some time.

That...isn't what happened. Again, try reading the book.

The whole point of Saruman's revenge is its pettiness, because that shows how far he has fallen, and makes a final point about the corrupting influence of a lust for power, which is one of the major themes of the entire Tolkien myth cycle. The key moment comes when Frodo won't have Saruman killed, because he pities him, and Saruman is enraged and humiliated at being pitied by such a meek and humble being.

This is all made quite clear in the book...

:huh:

That comment is so bizarre that I don't really know what to do with it.

Firstly, you seem to be confusing Saruman and Sauron. They are different characters: check out the movies if you don't want to read the books.

Secondly, Saruman's coup in the Shire is not merely a revenge attack as such, but an attempt to grasp at any thin straws of power that he can. By this point, he has fallen from his lofty position, but remains obsessively proud and hungry for power. The Shire offers him the opportunity to be a big fish in a tiny pond and, given his reduced circumstances, he grabs at it.

Thirdly, an important point is that much of the damage is done by (paraphrase) "stupid Hobbits who only want to be important". Tolkien is making a point about the petty officialdom which followed England's victory in WWII, after which the state absorbed swathes of industry, commerce, infrastructure etc. In Tolkien's mind, England was aping its defeated enemy, which is just what happens in the Shire. He is also making a broader point about the heroes in a war rarely being the ones to enjoy the peace that follows. Though the Shire is somewhat repaired, Frodo remains estranged from it, and never really gets "home".

First of all, you are rude as ****! Yes I've read the books, no I'm not confused in who Saruman and Sauron are! Boy do you have a sh***y attitude!!!

Last edited:
Okay, but then you would probably agree that Saruman and Hitler are imperfect analogies of one-another.

Saruman was more like a mash-up of Mussolini and Lord Haw Haw.

Okay, but then you would probably agree that Saruman and Hitler are imperfect analogies of one-another.

Saruman was more like a mash-up of Mussolini and Lord Haw Haw.

Saruman is meant to be a Pope corrupted by the temptations of the devil. At which point God replaces him with Gandalf after he martyrs himself defeating a demon. Tolkein was raised by a Catholic priest.

Gandalf is not just a 'wizard', he is a spiritual advisor and fighter against evil. His best quality is inspiring people to goodness and greatness. Saruman started playing God, messing with life with the orcs and goblins (only Eru can create life). He became obsessed with his own power. Isolated himself in his tower. While Gandalf was among the people.

Last edited:
From an interview with Peter and Philipa.
http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/19/peter-jackson-philippa-boyens-the-hobbit-interview/

Now that the entire franchise is done, are there any characters from "The Hobbit" that you're sad you can't move into "Lord of the Rings"?

PB: You're the person to ask that!

PJ: You mean retrospectively?

PB: Tauriel.

PJ: Tauriel.

PB: I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is.

giphy.gif

This bit tho about made me jump up and down with glee!

And what about a book?

PJ: As Guillermo was picking up to go, we talked about it. He said, "Wouldn't this be great?" And I said, "Yeah, when the time is right." Which, I think, from Warner Bros' point of view, is when the three movies are out on DVD, so my three films will be out and done. We all have a great idea and intention for all of Guillermo's design work, all eighteen months worth, will be out in some form, whether it's a book or a DVD supplemental feature. But he's keen to do that and I'm very keen to do that too. It'll happen at some point.

muegpg.gif

I hoped to own the LOTR films in 4K some day, but if Pete pulls a Lucas and insert new Tauriel material I just don't know. I don't hate the character. I think she could have been a strong female character and she is but that damn trite love triangle just ruins the entire character. Pete says he wanted to give the franchise a strong female character but then he goes and makes her revolve around one of the male characters. Why can't we just have a strong female character that doesn't become infatuated with the first pair of Mr. Sexy eyes she comes across?

The one thing I will applaud the film in is that it didn't wait hours to get to the actual seven nation army.

:o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"