Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hoped to own the LOTR films in 4K some day, but if Pete pulls a Lucas and insert new Tauriel material I just don't know. I don't hate the character. I think she could have been a strong female character and she is but that damn trite love triangle just ruins the entire character. Pete says he wanted to give the franchise a strong female character but then he goes and makes her revolve around one of the male characters. Why can't we just have a strong female character that doesn't become infatuated with the first pair of Mr. Sexy eyes she comes across?

I think that there are probably enough characters in LOTR. The slight expansion of Arwen's role helped to somewhat shift the gender balance towards women before Eowyn is introduced, and it is difficult to see where Tauriel could possibly fit in even if including her was desirable. If PJ really wanted to insert semi-independent material featuring a female character, he should introduce Goldberry, with or without her sonorous husband.

Edit: Let's do this- Tamsin Egerton for Goldberry, Nick Frost for Tom Bombadil.

Last edited:
The fact that they are considering releasing GDT's design work is the best bit of news I've heard about this project for quite some time.

As for the Tauriel bit, it hardly comes as a surprise to me. Needless to say that if they actually did try to do that, I wouldn't be buying it.

Oh boy.

Boom, Regwec and Darth are going to have a field day with this.

Ph1texZ.gif

He's joking right? Isn't he? :csad:

I sincerely doubt it.

Surely enough in 20 years time we're gonna get another LOTR adaptation. They'll even get Peter Jackson's blessing and everything. And it'll be even truer to the books! "There are many things from Tolkien's work that were not touched upon in the previous adaptations," says Auspicious Director. "We plan to make great films by mining that great material left undone. That means seeing Tom Bombadil and The Scourging of the Shire!"

Just like they'll do another Harry Potter adaptation in 25 years to compete. They'll get J.K. Rowling's blessing and they'll be even truer to the books.

I would like another adaptation, even if it is no better, because that at least would introduce some plurality to common perceptions of the stories and characters.

By this point, I just see it as redundant. I get people here are unhappy with some of the omissions, but re-adapting an entire trilogy of books just to see Tom Bombadil and The Scourging of the Shire doesn't seem worth it. Of course, I know those wouldn't be the only things added. There would of course be the new director's vision, new actors, little choices. But honestly, it's a massive undertaking that isn't worth doing because at the end of the day, most people except the hardcore Tolkien fans are quite happy and aren't asking for another set of LOTR films. Pick apart what you didn't like here and there, from a macro sense, most people thought they were satisfying and consider them achievements to the point where there's no desire to have to see yet another three year process of adaptations.

I gotta be honest too, because already criticized the multiple endings to ROTK, people aren't gonna be much happier when there is a whole other major action sequence and climax when the whole journey that took place over three films is finally over.

But my God, the studio wouldn't care. You get a Josh Boone type to do it, the first film will make the entire trilogy's film and marketing budget back and then some. So why the hell not from a monetary standpoint?

Now The Hobbit, I would argue is worth doing again as one film. I don't think any of us would disagree here. It can be done. Now the ironic thing is that more things would have to go, but if it means telling a much better and cohesive story, I'm okay with the cutting of the Mirkwood Spiders or doing something with the climax. The book is very piecemeal but all it takes is a great writer to make it work.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree, but most literary classics are adapted endlessly over time, and that helps to ensure that criticism of the original texts does not become stale. And that kids studying the book at school don't have to read it. I am sure nobody told Kenneth Branagh that they were "happy" with Laurence Olivier's Henry V, so not to bother.

If a stellar adaptation of The Hobbit were made in 20 years' time, whether for TV or the big screen, I am sure much of the audience would naturally want to see the same creative team move on to the sequel.

I kinda see it as redundant too. Also, I think the budget will always be a major factor. 20 adaptations of Jane Eyes will equal one remake of Lord of the Rings.

I somewhat agree, but most literary classics are adapted endlessly over time, and that helps to ensure that criticism of the original texts does not become stale. And that kids studying the book at school don't have to read it. I am sure nobody told Kenneth Branagh that they were "happy" with Laurence Olivier's Henry V, so not to bother.

If a stellar adaptation of The Hobbit were made in 20 years' time, whether for TV or the big screen, I am sure much of the audience would naturally want to see the same creative team move on to the sequel.

In principle, you are correct. But getting to the practical side of it, LOTR is just a huge undertaking. Granted when Jackson did it, things were much more difficult. But Shakespeare has been around for centuries where seeing yet another Shakespeare adaptation is just normal. Plus, they're easier to manage, hence their multitude of adaptations.

We watched Branagh's Hamlet to read along with the play, but as much of a chore as it might have been to get through without the movie, we could have done fine without it, and even if it might have been more appreciated years later, the story always remains. Hamlet, like LOTR as the source will always be there to be loved.

It's a wonder nobody has re-adapted The Wizard of Oz into a film. Not these spin offs, the actual source which is totally different from the movie. There must be a reason.

I think that would be the way to do it. Adapt The Hobbit first. That would be most ideal. Practically speaking though, from a studio perspective, since we already saw The Hobbit as the last adaptation, they may think we might want to do LOTR next so it's not redundant. That changes things and where the annoyance may occur. But you do The Hobbit, yes, that will make an easier pill to swallow following into possibly doing LOTR.

Maybe HBO could do a series of all three books? Not necessarily three parts tv movies, but episodic where one season might cover Fellowship. That I would be open to and would be VERY interesting. But as Octoberist said, budget is difficult. That type of budget even for HBO. LOTR in some cases and to some people is the definition of an epic. Execution is just as important but at the same time, it demands a big budget to match that great filmmaker's vision. Cinema achieves this part over tv any day of the week.

Like most things though, like an re-adaptation of Jaws or splitting up a single book into two or three parts, cinematically speaking, I just deem it unnecessary. If you do something with someone's work, you do it once, you do it right, leave it be.

Last edited:
Jane Eyes is some scary ****.

Maybe HBO could do a series of all three books? Not necessarily three parts tv movies, but episodic where one season might cover Fellowship. That I would be open to and would be VERY interesting.

I think that is the best option. The BBC radio adaptation of LOTR works extremely well, partly no doubt because it is divided into 13 one-hour installments, rather than three three act movies.

As ideal as that would be, that would still be a massive undertaking, even for HBO. Game of Thrones works incredibly well for HBO, but there's a difference in both stories where GOT and its source material is more manageable on a television budget that only HBO could truly achieve. But to achieve Tolkien's vision? $70 - $80 million wouldn't quite live up to hardcore Tolkien fans vision of his epic Middle-Earth would it? Not in this day and age.

I'm not sure. A lot of LOTR, and certainly FOTR, is really quite intimate in scale in all details other than the landscape.* PJ doesn't exactly do subtlety, and I would argue that many of his sequences were more overblown than was really required. For instance, Moria could have been tighter and more claustrophobic until the party reached the bridge of Khazad Dum. I have often thought that Solomon Kane's fight in the charnel house would be a good model to follow- it features some excellent Definitely-Not-Orcs.

*I would definitely film in Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
HBO Middle-earth series is the way to go.

I'm not sure. A lot of LOTR, and certainly FOTR, is really quite intimate in scale in all details other than the landscape. PJ doesn't exactly do subtlety, and I would argue that many of his sequences were more overblown than was really required. For instance, Moria could have been tighter and more claustrophobic until the party reached the bridge of Khazad Dum. I have often thought that Solomon Kane's fight in the charnel house would be a good model to follow- it features some excellent Definitely-Not-Orcs.

With the right execution this can work. But whether you like it or not, Jackson set a standard with epics in execution. Especially since LOTR kind of defined that, so it makes things trickier for an audience to accept. Going from his sequences in Moria to something smaller scaled is underwhelming from an audience perspective. Then they know it's made for tv where its conscious of itself and its limitations. This is the problem with superhero shows, though granted, they never dealt in HBO money. But the same principle applies.

But if somebody like HBO is really serious and they make an event thing out of it, and pour $125 mil into each season, then it could work with the right execution. But right now, it's unlikely. HBO seems quite content with making GOT their own LOTR, hence their unwillingness to make them movies which have been debated. But those actually work better for the small screen.

Last edited:
Lucas has his flannel, Jackson has that one cardigan that he likes. That might be the source of evil.

A Moria which was smaller in space could still be bigger in ominous tension, particularly when more time is available to it. I think Moria in the book plays out a bit like the alien ship exploration in Alien. The most chilling moment is that sound- like a hammer, but not quite- gently tapping somewhere in the mine...

While Jackson has made some bad decisions with the trilogy, he is nowhere close to being as bad as Lucas was the prequel trilogy.

A Moria which was smaller in space could still be bigger in ominous tension, particularly when more time is available to it. I think Moria in the book plays out a bit like the alien ship exploration in Alien. The most chilling moment is that sound- like a hammer, but not quite- gently tapping somewhere in the mine...

Absolutely, I agree. All in the execution. Leaving those darker places to the imagination? You tap into that, you have something wholly unique where if it's done right, viewers will love that.

Fellowship I can see you can get away with more. However, the following two would be much more difficult to manage. But if Fellowship is a success, this will give more leeway to give them more money. But how much more money? How much more are they willing to give when LOTR wouldn't be the only thing they are producing? Money is the driving force here.

HBO just can't **** up. And they wouldn't as their reputation would be riding on it.

HBO does a great job of making the limited budget for Game of Thrones. There are times where i'm like "This is way better looking than The Hobbit". But the reality is that most of the locations they use aren't fantastical and are more grounded, besides that one castle that has that giant hole, or the desert palaces.

While Jackson has made some bad decisions with the trilogy, he is nowhere close to being as bad as Lucas was the prequel trilogy.

Well he definitely picked up Lucas "ability" to write decent dialogue for characters in love.

I mean c'mon...

Tauriel: "Why does it hurt so much?"
Legolas Daddy: "Because...it was real."

:barf:

Do those lines actually happen? :(

Do those lines actually happen? :(

Yep. And I'm I'm in agreement with everyone else on this. That's some star wars prequel "sand" dialogue. Just ****. That seems to be the lowest point the dialogue reaches tho so there's that slight not so great upside.

I'm honestly dreading having to listen to that BS.

If Jackson adds Tauriel 2 The Lord Of The Rings. He will officially be making Lucas look good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"