Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - Part 18

Finally watching it now! Extended edition :word:

The Hobbit films had a lot of light in their scenes, almost every grass and rock seems to be imanating some kind of light. Did that have to do with it having been filmed in 64 fps?

Just bought the extended edition blu ray box set. It looks nice with my LoTR extended box set.

Last edited:
I still need to pick it p myself. There's just so many movie related items I need to get lol

No thanks.

However, HBO taking on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Yes, please.

No thanks.

However, HBO taking on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Yes, please.

No studio would remake those anytime soon. Especially not LOTR.

Just leave it all the **** alone. What's done is done.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Tolkien material. As long as Jackson has nothing to do with em.

I think PJ's had his fill of Tolkien. He won't go back to it and there aren't any more properties they can really use anyway, at least none as accessible as LotR and The Hobbit. The Tolkien estate isn't going to let anybody else anywhere near the rest of Tolkien's work.

I think PJ's had his fill of Tolkien. He won't go back to it and there aren't any more properties they can really use anyway, at least none as accessible as LotR and The Hobbit. The Tolkien estate isn't going to let anybody else anywhere near the rest of Tolkien's work.

Not anytime soon anyways.

Give it time. It's not over yet. I wish that wasn't the case but we don't live in that world.

The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy is a masterpiece so attempting to remake or do a mini-series would be in vain for a while now. There might be an even more faithful attempt somewhere down the line, but I doubt it could be as good.

There could be a more faithful Lord of the Rings adaptation, sure, but I doubt it could trump the performances, costumes, makeup, or epic battle sequences of Jackson's trilogy.

The Hobbit films had a lot of light in their scenes, almost every grass and rock seems to be imanating some kind of light. Did that have to do with it having been filmed in 64 fps?
They did have to light most scenes differently to account for the higher frame rate (48), but that wouldn't have the effect you're thinking off. It's more of their color grading style. LOTR had it too, but they bumped it up for the Hobbit trilogy.

There could be a more faithful Lord of the Rings adaptation, sure, but I doubt it could trump the performances, costumes, makeup, or epic battle sequences of Jackson's trilogy.

I am sure it would, to be honest. A lot of performances in the PJ trilogy were weak, and some were embarrassing (in large part this is probably down to PJ's direction- he seems to believe that Elves permanently stare into the middle distance while speaking in monotone). The costume was generally fine though some of it was uninventive (ring wraiths as empty suits of armour a la Scooby Doo) or inappropriate (far too much late medieval plate armour and too many long blonde wigs, Samurai Elves). The battle scenes now look largely like swarms of CGI miniatures rushing together and colliding which is, of course, what they are.

There is much that the trilogy did very well, but there is little that I think could not be done better.

It would only be worth remaking if it was handled very differently, as well as spending a good deal of time on scenes and characters that were cut. Just being better in every way wouldn't be enough justification for a remake just yet (for me).

I agree - it would need to be different and ideally better. I think it could be.

I am sure it would, to be honest. A lot of performances in the PJ trilogy were weak, and some were embarrassing (in large part this is probably down to PJ's direction- he seems to believe that Elves permanently stare into the middle distance while speaking in monotone). The costume was generally fine though some of it was uninventive (ring wraiths as empty suits of armour a la Scooby Doo) or inappropriate (far too much late medieval plate armour and too many long blonde wigs, Samurai Elves). The battle scenes now look largely like swarms of CGI miniatures rushing together and colliding which is, of course, what they are.

There is much that the trilogy did very well, but there is little that I think could not be done better.
:up:

A Hobbit/Lord of the Rings television series with the same production value as Game of Thrones would be a dream scenario for me.

my biggest struggle with the inevitable remake will be not having Mckellen as Gandalf and Shore's music

I haven't listened to these particular episodes, but 'The Tolkien Professor' podcast has a bunch where they discuss how they would go about making the Silmarillion as an HBO style series.

might be old news to some, but what a joke. $800 to get all the extended films in one box set. The "normal" priced box sets will only contain the theatrical editions

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-new-middle-earth-6-film-collection-release/

PJ says he has nothing to do with this release
“In addition there was the added difficulty of Warners needing to access the original negative and scan the outtakes, bloopers, and additional sequences. They declined to do this, which made Michael Pellerin and my original plans for the comprehensive documentary we hoped to produce for this box set, impossible to produce. Neither Michael nor myself are therefore involved in this release. Maybe Warners will support our planned documentary for the 25th anniversary, because we would love to make it one day.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

might be old news to some, but what a joke. $800 to get all the extended films in one box set. The "normal" priced box sets will only contain the theatrical editions

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-new-middle-earth-6-film-collection-release/

PJ says he has nothing to do with this release

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

WB takes pointless double dipping to a new low. I can build a shelf for free.

And WB not letting them have access to the original negative is such a *****e move. After all the money PJ has made for them. :cmad:

Can't imagine who would drop that kind of money just to get a shelf. Everything else in the set is already available for much, much less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"