Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right? the closest thing is the Frazetta/Bakshi Fire and Ice animated movie look wise. Nekron looked ALOT like Elric

I've never read Elric, but I just downloaded the e-book just now.

Is there a video of Wagner's Ring available for purchase?

I'm trying to get back in touch with ancient mythology, a subject that fascinated me quite a bit in college.

I believe there are many; I remember watching a production on DVD with a former girlfriend who was a music student. Many are probably on YouTube now. The music is heavenly, but it's worth reading around the story unless your German is far better than mine.

There is also an edition of the text illustrated by the brilliant Arthur Rackham, though I have never seen a copy.

There's so many high fantasy novels, along with space opera books, that they all..kinda blend into this giant mass. I blame the modern day book covers, haha.

So it's hard to pick and chose.

I can't really make much out.

Aside from ambushes by Faramir in TTT and by Gothmog and then Sauron in ROTK, has PJ shown any Middle Earth battle tactics aside from "run forwards"?

images
That's absolutely glorious. :up:

strange marketing for hobbit. i expected it to be everywhere since its the end of the second PJ trilogy.

Someone remind me, why does Thorin no longer have Orcrist?

Thanks.

I find it interesting to wonder how scenes that PJ left out of his trilogies (or, in my opinion, screwed up) could have played out on film.

A few key ones, as illustrated by Ted Nasmith:

TN-Fire_on_Weathertop.jpg

TN-Frodo_and_Haldir_in_Lothlorien.jpg

TN-Saruman_is_Overtaken1.jpg

TN-The_Aid_of_the_Wild-men.jpg

TN-Storming_the_Bank.jpg

Someone remind me, why does Thorin no longer have Orcrist?

Taken by the elves when they were captured in Mirkwood
Interestingly, I was watching the music video for The Last Goodbye again, and there's a moment at 2:53 that I'm pretty sure is from "Battle..." (because I don't remember seeing it in AUJ or DOS - though I admit I could be wrong on that) and Thorin looks to be holding Orcrist again.

Interestingly, I was watching the music video for The Last Goodbye again, and there's a moment at 2:53 that I'm pretty sure is from "Battle..." (because I don't remember seeing it in AUJ or DOS - though I admit I could be wrong on that) and Thorin looks to be holding Orcrist again.

Yep, take a look at these TV spots. In the first one there is a massive close up of Thorin holding it so it seems he gets it back...

before he dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvgDhjWSqM4

Yep, take a look at these TV spots. In the first one there is a massive close up of Thorin holding it so it seems he gets it back...

before he dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvgDhjWSqM4
Ohh.... awesome tv spots :woot:

Interesting, glad to know I wasn't imagining it ;) Wonder what happens for him to get it back (last we see it in Desolation, Legolas has it in hand).

There's so many high fantasy novels, along with space opera books, that they all..kinda blend into this giant mass. I blame the modern day book covers, haha.

So it's hard to pick and chose.

If someone was willing to spend the money they could possibly create a trilogy for the Stormlight Archive series. But it would require a dedicated director, a large budget and writers that know the source material extremely well.

Dain looks pretty good.

the 2nd tv spot has Dain swinging a massive hammer

and here he is on his war boar (hammer looks small here though:huh:)
10801837_10152919223576340_5222558385486381987_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1426719723_bc1f9f2fb656c41dd28a847a8b5c59aa

It may get bigger. The dwarves are skilled engineers and Del Toro wanted some of the dwarves helmets armor and weaponry to be mechanical. Perhaps Dain's battle hammer is a holdover from Del Toro's involvement...I have no idea how it would work, but in the words of John Howe "When you start trying to explain the "why's and how's" of fantasy it loses some of its magic.

Last edited:
There should still be stylistic consistency, though. Even though the Hobbit movies have muddied the waters, a mechanical hammer would still stick out.

There should still be stylistic consistency, though. Even though the Hobbit movies have muddied the waters, a mechanical hammer would still stick out.

To me it wouldn't. A race that can build Erebor with its massive furnaces and forges and its half a kilometer open spaces must be mechanically minded and we haven't actually seen any battle ready dwarves in the films. We've seen them in light armor and with light axes for traveling. So proper dwarf battle armor and more advanced dwarf weaponry wouldn't be inconsistent at all. BTFA is the proper time to reveal this stuff. Hell that fancy armor Thorin is wearign on the empire cover is completely ludicrous. It'd never work. Yet I fully believe that the dwarves, created by Aulë god of the smiths, could make it work. Is it so hard to also accept a mechanical battle hammer also?

Last edited:
I don't see what's terribly wrong with the dwarf armour, any more than the inappropriate plate armour used for Gondor in the LOTR movies.

Mechanical hand weapons stray far away from the pre-medieval world of Middle Earth, however.

one thing that i dont get (nor like) is that it seems like Thorin et al get this awesome armour, but wear it in the battle

I don't see what's terribly wrong with the dwarf armour, any more than the inappropriate plate armour used for Gondor in the LOTR movies.

Mechanical hand weapons stray far away from the pre-medieval world of Middle Earth, however.

The plate armor gondor used would actually allow some movement and armor like that has actually been used by mounted knights.

The armor Thorin is wearing wouldn't function. At all. There's too many individual plates and it'd be like trying to move from within a steel statue. I'm fine with it tho. Its damn gorgeous. And like I said the dwarves are supposed to be fine craftsmen.

As for Middle Earth, it may be pre-medieval but its not the same as our real pre-medieval world. Dwarves are magical beings created by a god and they are gifted with skill from him. I have zero problem accepting a mechanical battle axe from the dwarves. Its not like its I'm advocating the dwarves have complicated engines or anything. Its just gears springs and levers type of mechanical. Not even steam punk. Even in the pre-medieval real world types springs levers and gears existed. We didnt have mechanical battle axes but we arent dwarves living in a magical world.

But honestly Im just speculating to explain how he goes from little hammer to big hammer. Maybe he finds the big hammer in Erebor. Or maybe Dain has a few hammers and picks one depending on his mood.:funny: This is the most likely scenario. Dain prolly wouldnt march to battle with one hammer.

P.S. Sorry about any weird spelling errors or lack of spaces between words. I had to get a different phone and the spellchecker on this thing is beyond stupid and very stubborn. I try to catch all its "corrections" but some get by me.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're seeing in Thorin's armour that makes it especially impractical. The greaves and gauntlets are much the same as Maximilian armour; the skirts don't present a problem; the upper arms are plain old scale, and the breast plate appears to be solid with busy crap over the top.

I imagine it actually exists as a costume, anyway.

If someone was willing to spend the money they could possibly create a trilogy for the Stormlight Archive series. But it would require a dedicated director, a large budget and writers that know the source material extremely well.

The Stormlight Archive is going to be 10 books. The first book alone would struggle to fit a trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"