Official UFC Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's styles dude. Styles and match-ups. Holly Holm is a world class striker. She knocked out Rousey. Then she gets submitted in her next fight against Miesha Tate. Someone who Rousey beat twice. MMA math is not absolute. Correia is a very dangerous striker I think.

Alexis Davis was a talented striker as well with a background in jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai before she got into MMA.

QaLdOpo.jpg

It's styles dude. Styles and match-ups. Holly Holm is a world class striker. She knocked out Rousey. Then she gets submitted in her next fight against Miesha Tate. Someone who Rousey beat twice. MMA math is not absolute. Correia is a very dangerous striker I think.

Alexis Davis was a talented striker as well with a background in jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai before she got into MMA.
That is my entire point Vile. For the truly elite MMA fighters, styles and match-ups were not an issue. They ran through everyone at their best. It is why I say there are no elite fighters at 135 for women. It is why I compare the division to the very early years of MMA, when the selling point was grappler vs. striker, judo vs. BJJ, etc.

Argh was working & only got to see the Co-Main & the Main Event.. :cmad:, both of which I watched on my phone though while I was supposed to be working... :sly:

Cody Garbrant put on a superb performance, he absolutely tooled Dominick Cruz, very happy to see that as well because I find Dominick Cruz's style quite annoying at times to watch. I feel his style of striking is more about frustrating his opponents as opposed to one that simply picks people to bits. I don't hate him or anything but it was good to see Cody flip the script on him & out-Cruz-Cruz.. but with power. Easily Garbrant's best performance to date IMO. Him & TJ is going to be a good contest.

Nunes put on a good performance, she's good at controlling range & because of that her power in her hands is at maximum by the time it's got to your face. Risky fight for Ronda to take, after a year away & after a violent KO lose, probably would have been more wise to take a fight with someone that didn't have as much power just to try & get some mojo & confidence back on the feet. She got rocked/stunned by the very first right hand Amanda hit her with that ended up turning into a right, left, right flurry if I recall that immediately hurt her & put her on the backfoot. The fight game can be cruel & unforgiving, if your head isn't in it completely or you have many doubts/fears, you should think carefully before entering a cage or ring.

That is my entire point Vile. For the truly elite MMA fighters, styles and match-ups were not an issue. They ran through everyone at their best. It is why I say there are no elite fighters at 135 for women. It is why I compare the division to the very early years of MMA, when the selling point was grappler vs. striker, judo vs. BJJ, etc.

Except they are. Everyone gets defeated at some point. No fighter is unbeatable. If we go by your logic then no one is ever truly elite.

You can't tell me Lyoto Machida wasn't an elite level fighter when he became champion. And yet, Shogun's kickboxing style gave his karate style a lot of problems when they fought.

Come to think of it Punk put up a better fight.

I think that this is the first defense of the belt shows how shallow the devision is. It's basically a toss up whoever fights. There is no top tier.

Except they are. Everyone gets defeated at some point. No fighter is unbeatable. If we go by your logic then no one is ever truly elite.

You can't tell me Lyoto Machida wasn't an elite level fighter when he became champion. And yet, Shogun's kickboxing style gave his karate style a lot of problems when they fought.
Lyoto Machida was an elite fighter, who while small for light heavyweight, competed and beat many very good and even a few great fighters and then moved down to 185 and showed his skill there as well. He has had many great fights. He spent a lot of his career competing in era with plenty of very good fighters. It is no different then say Roberto Duran in his days as a boxer, or Ali. Ronda has never done that. Did Lyoto ever get washed because someone could simply sit and punch, or wrestle? I don't remember that. Look at his losses. How many went to decision and controversial at that?

Ronda lost because she can't take a punch and has no idea how to beat someone who can sit and throw. Look at her head movement. How is that elite? How?

Losing happens. How you lose matters, and what you learn from it. GSP is a perfect example. After he got cocky with Serra, he changed, for the better. If GSP career ended there, would he have been elite? No. Evolved and sealed up his weaknesses.

Last edited:
Agree with you Darth. Ronda has been exposed for exploiting a weak division and not growing with the competition.

I agree that Ronda is pretty much done at this point. Forty eight second knock out? Yeah, it's time to hang it up. Especially after all that time she spent training and convincing everyone she was ready to return.

She'll be there. Stephanie has been pushing hard for it. Losing made the deal easier like with Lesnar's return.

Completely different circumstances, though. Lesnar lost because he was sick and one of his opponents was juicing, Rousey lost because she simply wasn't ready.

No way she could negotiate the same deal as he even if she did decide to go with WWE (which I doubt will happen).

this fight proved Ronda needed a tune up fight she got froze when she ate the first punch should of took on someone like Juliana Pena

Ronda is not going to the WWE. If the WWE does sign a fighter with a legit MMA background, it'll be former UFC Fighters Matt Riddle or Shayna Baszler.

R.I.P Ronda Rousey's career

I love it when someone falls victim to their hubris. If she wasn't trying to play the role of the female Floyd Mayweather, her fall from grace would not have been so severe.

this fight proved Ronda needed a tune up fight she got froze when she ate the first punch should of took on someone like Juliana Pena
So what you are saying is she needed someone who wouldn't punch her in the face?

I didn't mention it last night, but Garbrandt was amazing.

She got dumped from her two starring roles, and that was after she got destroyed once. No one of consequence wants anything to do with her anymore. She will have cameos at best, and even those are probably gone for the most part. She is obviously not the "baddest woman on the planet".

Exactly.

Hell would she even want to do them? She basically became a hermit for a year after one loss. Waiting another year, which can be an eternity for a rising Hollywood star could be too much

Last edited:
Exactly.

Hell would she even want to do them? She basically became a hermit for a year after one loss. Waiting another year, which can be an eternity for a rising Hollywood star could be too much
I think she did want to to them. It would be a source of money without having to fight anymore, which she clearly doesn't have the appetite for after getting beat up. She mentioned making the movies before coming back. But it looks like they couldn't get them funded and it is because she got destroyed.

It seems this was her attempt to get that train back on the tracks like Conor and failed horribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"