Official UFC Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible? he's been with the UFC since the 90s? typically those terrible at their jobs dont keep the same job for near 20 years

who would be a suitable replacement?
That's nice. I find him terrible and grating and have for as long as I can remember.

Cody Garbrandt just comes off as really thin skinned in all the Embedded videos. I predict Cruz will handle him no problem.

Like it or not, Goldberg has been the voice of the UFC commentary team for years. He helped bring the sport to a wider audience and get it to where it is today. I think Goldberg has his flaws and IMHO far from perfect, but you can't question his diligence and how he's helped the sport for years.

Now if he gets replaced, who is even a good replacement? Not sure what Todd Harris up to these days, but I generally found he did a good job on UFC Tonight, WEC, and WSOF.

Here is my problem with Jim Rome. If you get Jim Rome to do it, could he really handle such a regular MMA gig? Can he handle the minutiae and more technical aspects of MMA?
Diligence at what? Not knowing techniques? Clearly favoring fighters? Bringing the cliches?

We live in a world of Jim Lampley.

That's nice. I find him terrible and grating and have for as long as I can remember.

Diligence at what? Not knowing techniques? Clearly favoring fighters? Bringing the cliches?

We live in a world of Jim Lampley.

He's been the voice of the UFC man. I think more than anything Goldberg has been fighting burnout lately and it shows. I feel like he's known a lot of fighters and techniques pretty well more often than not.

As for favoring fighters cliches, he's trying to create storylines and make the product more palpable for casual audiences. That might be tough for hardcore fans, but it helps bringing the more casual crowds in. You may not like it but Goldberg was the voice that helped UFC go mainstream.

He's been the voice of the UFC man. I think more than anything Goldberg has been fighting burnout lately and it shows. I feel like he's known a lot of fighters and techniques pretty well more often than not.

As for favoring fighters cliches, he's trying to create storylines and make the product more palpable for casual audiences. That might be tough for hardcore fans, but it helps bringing the more casual crowds in. You may not like it but Goldberg was the voice that helped UFC go mainstream.
You are applying way too much credit to Goldberg. He is a passenger, one most don't know or care about. Rogan is far more associated with it and well known. And even if you were right, how does that make him good at his job? Michael Cole has been the "voice" of the WWE longer then JR. Does that suddenly make him better?

That doesn't have to make him better. But the man did his job and he did his job well for many years. At one point, WWE courted him and wanted him to work for them in 2005, but he turned them down.

Joe Rogan has plenty of flaws that people have called him out on as well numerous times. I could list off probably dozens. Rogan does tend to show bias toward his favorites. He will make false calls. He will say someone has a sub and the fight's over, only for a fighter to find a way out of the submission or get out of it. Sometimes he overdoes it on hyperbole. Calling Tim Boetsch's comeback against Okami the greatest comeback in a fight ever.

Let's not forget how incessantly he was criticized for his mad love for Ronda Rousey. A lot of people harp on it.

Bas Rutten is a color guy not play by play.

That sort of terminology is a little lost on me. :O

I'll be honest, I don't really care if he (Bas Rutten) & Rogan are both quite analytical & similar. In regards to MMA in particular I think it would be best if both commentators know what they're talking about & know exactly what's going on at all times in grappling or striking exchanges. It would help further educate those that are perhaps only checking out the sport for the first time because they've seen Rousey, McGregor, CM Punk, Lesnar or whoever plastered everywhere & want to know what the fuss is about.

those ads help put on events

necessary evil

Oh no I agree, those adverts are one of many things other than PPV buys & gate that help fund the events & pay the fighters/backroom staff, but do you really need an arguably more advertisement focused commentator as opposed to someone who knows more about the sport?

At the start of Rogan's podcast he reads out about 10 minutes worth of ads, it's not that difficult IMO.

Goldberg is terrible. I can't wait for him to be gone.

Meh, I don't find him terrible but I agree with Darth in the sense that I won't really miss his calling of the fights.

Without question though he is the voice of the UFC, moreso than Rogan, but at the same time he's not as important as Rogan... how what I've just typed makes any sense I don't know, but it also does.. at least to me anyway. :woot:

The only 2 things I'll miss are at least his old 'Tale of the tape' videos before fights, it's moreso Rogan that handles that now & I'll also miss his line at the end of fights. "It is ALLL OVER!".

Hendricks is a disgrace who should not be allowed to fight. What the hell?

That's 3 of the last 4 fights he's missed weight, one of which was with Woodley that had to be scrapped & in turn gifted Woodley a title shot.

If he loses he'll no doubt be cut not just for losing 2-3 in a row, but also his repeated missing of weight.

Am I reading this right??

Vegas Odds has Rousey FAVORED????

Nunes is the underdog??? WTF

Am I reading this right??

Vegas Odds has Rousey FAVORED????

Nunes is the underdog??? WTF

not hard to see nunes has a tendency to gas when she doesn't get the 1st round finish and ronda can submit anyone

if shevchenko can take her down so can rousey
313817.gif

Betting odds are wrong half the time.

Look, if you like Nunes as the underdog and confident she will win, then lay some money down on her.

Nunes has a tendency to fade in the later rounds despite coming out strong. It happened to her against Cat Zingano. It also happened to her against Valentina Shevchenko, despite the fact that she still won.

Rousey is still Ronda Rousey at the end of the day. There's all this controversy of her refusing to participate in media. However, she still looks like she's in the best shape of her career. But we'll see. It's hard to know exactly where her head is at.

I'll be honest, I don't really care if he (Bas Rutten) & Rogan are both quite analytical & similar. In regards to MMA in particular I think it would be best if both commentators know what they're talking about & know exactly what's going on at all times in grappling or striking exchanges. It would help further educate those that are perhaps only checking out the sport for the first time because they've seen Rousey, McGregor, CM Punk, Lesnar or whoever plastered everywhere & want to know what the fuss is about.

Oh no I agree, those adverts are one of many things other than PPV buys & gate that help fund the events & pay the fighters/backroom staff, but do you really need an arguably more advertisement focused commentator as opposed to someone who knows more about the sport?

At the start of Rogan's podcast he reads out about 10 minutes worth of ads, it's not that difficult IMO.

Here's the template. The play-by-play guy is the meat and potatoes person of a broadcast team. The play-by-play calls the action as the term goes, he goes play by play. He's getting across things that happen move by move.

The color commentator or analyst gets more into the minutiae of the moves. Jim Ross is your play by play guy. He calls the moves. And Jerry Lawler is your color guy. He's adding color to the commentary.

It's not just play-by-play in the sense of a ball or puck, but in the broadcaster sense. The main or straight voice. Someone there to drive the broadcast, segue from one focus to the next, tackle the sponsor, and the intro/outro segments. This all seems seamless when it's done by a pro, when it's not the broadcast can look/sound a disaster. Goldy wasn't especially great at it, but was adequate and familiar for many years, and it passed. I don't think Bas or Rogan would particularly want to do it much less make the show a smoother process together than it had been.

Last edited:
That doesn't have to make him better. But the man did his job and he did his job well for many years. At one point, WWE courted him and wanted him to work for them in 2005, but he turned them down.

Joe Rogan has plenty of flaws that people have called him out on as well numerous times. I could list off probably dozens. Rogan does tend to show bias toward his favorites. He will make false calls. He will say someone has a sub and the fight's over, only for a fighter to find a way out of the submission or get out of it. Sometimes he overdoes it on hyperbole. Calling Tim Boetsch's comeback against Okami the greatest comeback in a fight ever.

Let's not forget how incessantly he was criticized for his mad love for Ronda Rousey. A lot of people harp on it.
My point is I don't think he does his job well, at all. Rogan does have a lot of flaws. but he also at least sounds like he know what he is talking about. That he is better then Goldberg isn't a compliment. It shows how bad Goldberg is imo. Him being the voice of the UFC doesn't change that for me.

Last edited:
Meh, I don't find him terrible but I agree with Darth in the sense that I won't really miss his calling of the fights.

Without question though he is the voice of the UFC, moreso than Rogan, but at the same time he's not as important as Rogan... how what I've just typed makes any sense I don't know, but it also does.. at least to me anyway. :woot:

The only 2 things I'll miss are at least his old 'Tale of the tape' videos before fights, it's moreso Rogan that handles that now & I'll also miss his line at the end of fights. "It is ALLL OVER!".
Nah, it makes sense. I see Rogan as a promoter of the UFC and MMA in general. Where as Goldberg's voice is associated with the UFC.

That's 3 of the last 4 fights he's missed weight, one of which was with Woodley that had to be scrapped & in turn gifted Woodley a title shot.

If he loses he'll no doubt be cut not just for losing 2-3 in a row, but also his repeated missing of weight.
He has such a bad history of this. I want to say Dana has said he wouldn't let him fight at the weight because of it, and here he is again, missing weight.

He should have been cut last time imo. Also his cuts are clearly not allowing to to perform at a strong level, so why is he doing this?

I appreciate Ronda for changing the business. Its too bad she's losing what may be her final fight tonight.

Holm took her soul. Rousey is broken and it is hilarious.

Cody Garbrandt proves that no matter how good someone is, there's a young and hungry stud waiting around the corner who will give you the worst night of your life.

Damn, what a decline. Can't imagine what is in Rousey's head space right now. Going from top of the female sports world to being destroyed indisputably twice in a row. Her stand-up weakness is so blatant, I can't believe she didn't improve at all from the Holm fight.

She has no chin whatsoever. As soon as the first punch landed she was shook and had no idea how to respond. It was so telling.

Cyborg might have murdered Ronda.

Nunes hot fire on the mic. :funny:

Damn, what a decline. Can't imagine what is in Rousey's head space right now. Going from top of the female sports world to being destroyed indisputably twice in a row. Her stand-up weakness is so blatant, I can't believe she didn't improve at all from the Holm fight.
What is she going to do, create a chin? Her biggest problem is she can't take a punch, at all. She crumbles after the first good shot and goes into freak out mode.

And she ran away again. No post fight. :lmao:

And there goes a chance to appear in the WWE for Ronda.

See you at WrestleMania 33, Ronda. Vince just opened his checkbook.

What is she going to do, create a chin? Her biggest problem is she can't take a punch, at all. She crumbles after the first good shot and goes into freak out mode.
Nothing anyone can do about how strong their chin is, but they can do wonders with defensive training and movement. Ronda literally had neither, I'm completely baffled by that.

Spent a whole year doing squat. I think she may have manged to look worse than her Holm fight. There's no way her career continues in any meaningful way unless she changes camp. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"