Pacific Rim - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I See Spidey meant just in general. That phrase gets bandied about a lot in rather meaningless ways for a lot of movies.

Personally I don't think there can be a "next Star Wars" for film because there is already Star Wars. The changes in filmmaking and marketing and merchandising it wrought are still with us.

If anything could be described as "this generation's Star Wars", though such a description is meaningless, it would probably have to be the Harry Potter franchise. It did for publishing essentially what Star Wars did for film. It has the world building and then all the ancillary materials, the marketing the merchandising. Before that series, there weren't midnight release parties for books and things. It helped establish YA fiction as a distinct and highly marketable genre and other franchises attempt to closely follow the template it laid out, much as many film franchises have been built around the Star Wars model. Also along with essentially establishing the YA blockbuster, the Harry Potter franchise spawned what was (is?) the highest grossing film franchise of all time, not adjusting for inflation. I think with Skyfall Bond might have retaken that though. It is often cited along with LotR and Spiderman at the beginning of the last decade as a major touchstone for the current emphasis on pre-established propoerties. It contributed its content to pop culture while also changing how pop culture is made.

Long story short, even if Pacific Rim were far more successful and was currently spawning an action figure franchise and copycat films, it would just following the star wars model, rather than being "the next star wars" by establishing some new paradigm.

I've seen Star Wars brought up in this very thread and all over the internet before the film was even released. If you haven't seen that, I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back