Pacific Rim - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it... I think Hunnam might make a good Luke Skywalker, as long as he doesn't do that weird accent he does in Pacific Rim.

The combination of your message with that image is quite interesting. I think Heath Ledger completely broke standard expectations for acceptable acting in summer films. Its no longer enough for the acting to merely be solid. Say what you want about Hunnam but its not as if Mark Hammill was nominated for any Oscars in '78.

I dislike speaking ill of the dead but I don't think Ledger would have gotten the nom if he hadn't died. Did he deserve it? yes. But it wouldn't of happened.

I dislike speaking ill of the dead but I don't think Ledger would have gotten the nom if he hadn't died. Did he deserve it? yes. But it wouldn't of happened.

He might not have won necessarily, but he definitely would have gotten the nom. That buzz was in full swing before he died from trailers and set reports alone.

I mean we're talking about a year in which RDJ was nominated for acting in black face, satire notwithstanding.

Yeah... I hate to say it but I think the Academy would have ignored it because it's a comic book role.

The Academy hates comedies almost as much as comic films and again they nominated the man in this role.

170px-DowneyKirkLazarusTTCostume.jpg

I wish they would've let Hunnam just speak in his regular voice, could be another case where trying to maintain an accent just keeps you from doing much else.

Heath definitely would have gotten a nom. I think in the wake of his death a lot of people forgot just how big the buzz was for his performance. Would he have won if he hadn't died? Tough to say but I think a nomination was definitely in the cards.

What's more puzzling to me is how much of a pass this movie is getting because "that's what GDT was going for"

He was going for characters that are terribly flat? I get the cliched accents. But there is literally nothing unique, or even interesting about the characters in this movie.

I'll say it again, you replace GDT's name with Bay,Abrams, or any other director and the tune would change.

I'm glad this movie is under performing, it's been my least favorite of the summer.

Agreed 100%. I normally agree with Richard Roeper, so when he gave this a positive review, I thought, "well maybe it's decent after all."

I'll give them credit for some great special effects, but this movie makes Independence Day look like a masterpiece.

Idris Elba is a good actor, but you can tell he was straining, because there was absolutely nothing in this script.

Just saw Pacific Rim today. I really liked it, but seriously...as a longtime, over thirty year fan of Godzilla movies does anyone even doubt that I would not love this movie?

P.S. Ron Perlman was great!

The end credits scene was awesome. It looked like something obvious was going to happen. Then bam lol

The end credits scene was awesome. It looked like something obvious was going to happen. Then bam lol

Does the end credit scene happen literally right at the end of all the credits? I'm seeing it again this weekend and missed it the first time but reading the description of it i don't know if it's worth waiting 10 mins or so of credits to see what seems like a pretty short thing?

Heath definitely would have gotten a nom. I think in the wake of his death a lot of people forgot just how big the buzz was for his performance. Would he have won if he hadn't died? Tough to say but I think a nomination was definitely in the cards.

He probably would have won anyways. Christoph Waltz and Javier Bardem both won for similar roles and with similar acclaim around the same time.

I think with someone as young as J-Law winning his win may have been justified.

Plus it would have been a makeup award for Brokeback Mountain.

The Academy LOVES makeup awards.

Does the end credit scene happen literally right at the end of all the credits? I'm seeing it again this weekend and missed it the first time but reading the description of it i don't know if it's worth waiting 10 mins or so of credits to see what seems like a pretty short thing?

More like only 2-3 mins in.

He deserved to win. I don't think he would have won if he hadn't died but I think he would have been nominated. I've recently changed my mind on the that one because at first I doubted him even getting a nom if he hadn't died.

All I can say is... don't hold out much hope.

Yeah it aint looking good, I thought throughout the week it would have over-taken Grown-ups 2 but thats not happening, 5th place is the best we can hope for it seems.

I thought the movie was pretty good as a fan of old films,and anime like this it was a treat to see it in live action. So i'm pretty bias on how I feel about the movie.

Del Torro has an amazing eye and vision that really jumps off the screen it's beautiful to look at. If it was at all possible I would of loved him to make Star Wars, I'm not a fan of many directors but this guy is one of the best.

Here's where i'd like to post my own personal review of Pacific Rim and what i thought of it:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2439423488/tt1663662?ref_=tt_ov_i

There’s no simple twist or confusing about this film. It’s simple. Giant robots vs giant monsters. The challenging quest is how to visually make the battles scenes as impressive as possible- and as often as possible. </SPAN>

I was expecting a start like various giant monsters appearing by sea,air,ground,lava, and seeing the tons of destroyed cities which featured tv clips of fearful, tormented human faces that had to endured loss of beloved lives, and burials, followed by military action actually battling the monsters and their display of power on helpless fighting jets, tanks and artiliary

Then followed by some brains that finally somehow devise THE plan of constructing giant robotics to combat the giant monsters. But the film wasted no time in placing much of this in the full first minute of the film.
I’ll admit that I had difficulties catching up to why the government decided to shut down the “Jaeger program after disappointingly losing some fighting soldiers, only General Marshall to squeeze out the remaining time he had towards the program.

The early part of the film gets off fast and to the point of not only seeing/introducing the giant Jaeger robotic program but also explaining the program (size, weaponry, requiring 2 pilots instead of one, the critically mental bonding drift the two pilot have to have together in order to be successfully victorious) and the earlier part quickly gave us the glimpse of how these jager robots fight head on with the monsters and how they could win …or lose to the monsters.
And I admit that this is solely want I wanted to see – as often and as possible against various types of monsters and continous full display of each jaeger robots’ powers.

After the 1st big robot fight,… it really cools down afterwards to attempt to get going the character development and human emotions of the military soldiers, the head general, and the quirky scientists who would attempt to bring the sense of humor element to the film.

This is where it gets a bit slow and drags in spots and I felt myself wanting to push the film ahead past these spots to observe far more of the robot/monster fighting.
As you can guess there is a tie in factor with the scientists in regards to the giant invading monsters that also features a brief cameo appearance by Ron Merlman as Hannibal Cauh, so pay close attention to both his explanatory words and his appearance as you can.

And honestly the best character I got into and thought was the most interesting came from Mako Mori (actress Rinko Kikuchi), who pilots and handles one of the Jaeger robot fighters more than any of the characters.

A good interesting well done piece was put into Mako’s thoughts and past life in tragically involved her and one of the giant monsters.
Much more how she managed survived. I actually thought that was “wonderfully creepy” which this near deadly incident also again leads into seeing why one of the Jaeger being declared shut down as well as rejuvenate it into a rescue attempt – and easily the big highlight of the film when we see multiple jaeger giants vs multiple giant monsters en route to seeing the displaying powers of different robots( rocket launchers,swords, hand saws/blades,laser hand cannon,etc.) vs various powers of the giant monsters.(flight, ability drain/disrupt energy, usage of talons, tongue, tails, projecting burning saliva, etc) and not do we get to see the robots fight on the ground, but also in the sea waters as well as in the air.

The CGI visual special effects in how the robots/monsters look,,display their powers and the battle sequences were brilliant and definitely worth seeing and admittedly had me wanting more and more,- the last time I saw giant robotic beings was the Transformers movies which I could never get into because the fighting scenes between the argobots and decepticons just always looked like a big ball of colors and I could never tell who was fighting who and couldn’t make out how/what choregraphically was going on when they were fighting.
But these Pacific Rim fighting sequences are far different from the Transformers. You clearly see what’s happening
and on display.

Frankly I felt I didn’t get enough of that element and thought of other ingredient and areas where director Guillermo Navarro could have utilized much more – -such one as say corrupted pilots mishandling and misusing a jaeger robot -against other jaeger robots.
I thought the final battle at the end with the monsters was ordinary and predictable, and I was actually surprised that
The most powerful “category 5” monster was taken out so easily.

Overall I did enjoy Pacific Rim, and thought this was a new touch in Godzilla/Robotron-like special effects and adventures. I definitely thought it could been made better -but I still enjoyed.
On a scale of 1 to 10- I’d give it a 6.5

The Academy hates comedies almost as much as comic films and again they nominated the man in this role.

170px-DowneyKirkLazarusTTCostume.jpg

RDJ killed it! I kept telling myself that it's only RDJ but I just couldn't because I believed he was an actual black man! :woot:

There's a credits scene?,What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"