Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by FilmNerdJamie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Next confirmations, to bring even more hype, needs to be Famke and Jackman imo! :)

2. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

This is really rad news. Can't wait to hear the next nugget of info.

3. Van Petrol

Van Petrol Guest

Ah ha! Awesome news! :up:

4. magneto23

magneto23 Well-Known Member

So I guess TLS will no longer be acknowledged? Fine by me if that's the case.

5. Mrpaul

Mrpaul Spider-Man's in the MCU

Awesomeness

6. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

See, I don't see how The Last Stand can be apart of this continuity. First Class already established that Xavier is paralyzed when he and Magneto were in their mid-to-late 20's. Also, let's not forget that Moira McTaggert already exists in 1962. If Xavier was not paralyzed at the end of First Class, then I can see them trying to put all of it together and retconning Dr. McTaggert as someone else.

I can't see anyone bringing this up as blowing things out of proportion or being too analytically since Xavier being paralyzed and Xavier/Magneto meeting young Jean Grey were both pivotal scenes in their respective films.

7. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

The Wolverine follows X3 continuity. I highly doubt its being taking away as never existing in the franchise. Since we are dealing with ALt timelines in DOFP all 3 original X flicks can be out the window or changed in some sense. It depends what they do, but X3 is still canon as far as X films are concerned from what Mangold and Jackman said.

8. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

We've all been bringing this up like forever so you are not alone in wondering how the films can fit together.

I think the problem has been that each film has been made without fully taking into consideration the other films that existed at the time, and without considering the franchise as a whole.The filmmakers just did what worked best for the individual story they were trying to tell.

Hopefully it becomes clear what is being acknowledged, ignored or accounted for.

9. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I'm guessing that Stewart will be able to feature, because someone from the future (maybe Cable?) will come back to the time of the original trilogy but before the events of the Last Stand. That would be the easiest way round it without having to explain how Stewart's Prof X is still alive. Not everyone is going to remember what happened in X3 with that aftercredits scene.

Then maybe there will be scenes that happen during that period, and some that happen during the First Class period. I doubt though that Stewart and Mckellan will be the ones to time travel to the 60s and meet McAvoy and Fassbender.

I don't see any problem with Rebecca Romijn returning though. She did a cameo in FC.

But how about Kelsey Grammer?

10. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much screen time they will have o_O

11. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

each day I feel even more that this movie will be really big for Fox.

Im not saying 1 billion, but I see big things for this sequel. The hype around this movie is increasing month after month, and when they announce Hugh and other original actors it will be even bigger. And next year images from the set, the teaser trailer...

Omg..... I feel like a kid with all of this

12. SpideyFan866

SpideyFan866 Well-Known Member

Exactly. and with said, I think The Wolverine may have a few answers as to where this timeline currently stands, at the very least, as far as Logan.

13. Warhammer

I just don't know how they are doing to do it. First Class contradicts The Last Stand in so many ways. Like I said on the first page, they're going to have fun trying to piece these films together. The only no-no within a franchise is not messing up continuity. We can forgive seeing anti-mutant McCoy on television in X2. We can forgive MacTaggert being in The Last Stand since her camero was pretty much shoe-horned in there. It's just everything else.

You're right. Hopefully it does become clear soon. My inner fanboy comes out with situations like this.

14. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Yeah theres problems that cant be fixed. Personally I think FC will run off its own timeline by the end of this film. So directly it wont connect to X1,2 or 3. Theres alot they can do, I think the further they step from the original triliogy continuity the better the future for these films will be in terms of new filmmakers doing what they want. It will be interesting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. Warhammer

Yeah, for the longevity of the franchise and for a possible second sequel, distance needs to be made. Oh yeah and my fault. Definitely meant cameo, not camero.

16. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Delighted with this news, its all finally coming together, and as someone who has a severe dislike of X3, I wouldnt mind at all if it was erased through time-travel or alternate timelines.

I trust Singer to deliver either way.

17. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

What do you mean by anti-mutant McCoy? Did you mean NON-mutant?

18. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe they'll say that continuity has already been messed up because someone has already time travelled within the films without them being aware of it. So rather than seeing a future traveller going back and then potentially disrupting the timeline, maybe someone already has done that all this time but we just don't know it yet. Perhaps Cable or whoever will look at all the events of the films on a screen and wonder why nothing seems to match up.

19. Warhammer

Well yeah, he was an non-mutant too. But in his cameo, he was anti-mutant. He was like "Maybe we should round them up by the truck load."

20. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

He was being sarcastic..

21. Warhammer

I don't think so. Do you know what sarcasm means?

22. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Yea he was obviously being sarcastic. And he was talking to Sebastian Shaw.

23. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!

I am drooling in anticipation at seeing them on screen again as Magneto and Xavier. They had terrific chemistry.

24. Warhammer

Oh snap. I just rewatched that scene. For the longest time, I thought McCoy was anti-mutant in that scene. I had no idea he was being sarcastic, but it makes sense. My fault, guys.

25. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

Irregardlessly, you can be damn sure that the time travel stuff wont make a lick of logical sense. Sooo sick of this premise in tv/movies/comics (only "AI run amok" is more overused).

That said, I will be there opening week, barring terrible reviews. To me, X-2 is a master class in editing and its in my top 5 SH movies. With a good script, I have faith in Singer. Plus, Im actually curious to see if they can sort out all the continuity issues in one movie (this is the real reason they're doing time travel btw). Vee shall zee.

I really miss Rebecca Romijn as Mystique. Shes not a great actress or anything, but I think she was basically perfect in that role. Jen Lawrence is beautiful and talented, but she looked very odd in the makeup and just didnt bring much to the character. Miscast, but there can certainly improve on things and maybe I will change my mind. Characterization-wise, there is absolutely no continuity between the FC Mystique and the X123 version. Very different people, and not just the different actors appearances.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012