Days of Future Past Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

Will be great to see them on the big screen again. I'm curious if it will be part of a new alternate universe, or maybe a retcon of the events during X-Men 1-3

I really think some are wanting this to be more complicated than It needs to be.With Bryan Singer directing we should look at this not just as sequel to First Class but his
previous X-Men films(X-Men/X2)

The future with Sentinles should be viewed as possable future for the X-men/X2 Characters.This allows Bryan to do both sequel to previous films he directed(X-Men and X2) as well as film he produced(First Class) and the time travel plot Is attempt by returning actors In this dark future to prevent this world they are now living In from coming to pass.

This film seems a bit like Star Trek Generations where they're trying to bridge two different eras through time travel. It seems a bit odd as the 2nd film though, and a sequel to First Class. One might've thought it would've happened first and then allowed the new X-Men franchise to stand alone without having appearances from the original cast.

I really think some are wanting this to be more complicated than It needs to be.With Bryan Singer directing we should look at this not just as sequel to First Class but his
previous X-Men films(X-Men/X2)

That sounds worryingly like Superman Returns (a follow-up to the best of the previous films) - and we all know how that turned out.

That approach can work with X-Men.With superman part of problem was those wanting a reboot and being closer to present Superman comics.And the fact so much time has passed.This was same approach he was going to take with Battlestar galactica when he and Tom Desanto were trying to launch a contunion of original series throw out Galactica
1980.Throwing out what doesn't work Is totally In line with Bryan Singer's past works.

That approach can work with X-Men.With superman part of problem was those wanting a reboot and being closer to present Superman comics.And the fact so much time has passed.This was same approach he was going to take with Battlestar galactica when he and Tom Desanto were trying to launch a contunion of original series throw out Galactica
1980.Throwing out what doesn't work Is totally In line with Bryan Singer's past works.

The problem with SR is that it didn't launch a fresh future for the Superman franchise. Instead, it added a child who would need to be addressed and included in future films, so it created obstacles and locked the franchise in a corner. That's why they are now doing a reboot Man of Steel.

They have to bear in mind what the state of the franchise will be at the end of DoFP. Superman Returns did it wrong in making it hard to move forwards, Star Trek did it absolutely right. First Class also left me wanting to see more, and I hope that DoFP will do the same and not just wrap up all the existing films for good.

Superman Returns tried to much to fit it in the Donnerverse without making it it's own entity. That's why it didn't work. I don't think X-Men will have that problem.

And what happened with Mockingbird Lane? Throw out what was hugely successful in the past for...?

Mockingbird Lane was a reimaging of Munsters.Some people here think the reimaging of battlestar Galactica which I hated was so great.

X-Men films was started by Bryan Singer.all the sucessfull ones were eather directed by him(X-Men,X2) or produced by him(First Class)

I don't want them ripping off J.J. abrams Star Trek any more than I do The Avengers.Abrams' let's use one event to chance so much and doesn't show much regard for Trek
history since I am more Intrested In turing Trek Into Star Wars.

The multi-universe thing Abrams used was a gimmick to not get old Trekkies pissed off. Apart from that, it's a reboot. It's a completely different case here.

Yeah, new Trek wasn't to fix continuity errors or give it an overhaul. It was so that the old continuity wasn't thrown out the window but could be said to still exist, just in a different time line. It was to free up new Trek so that they could do different things and not be constrained by old continuity so that everything could be fresh.

That's completely the opposite of X-Men here, where they are trying to throw out whatever doesn't work (Last Stand, Origins) as a result of their own missteps, and eradicate it from existence through this plot device.

Considering what happen to Eric and Charles in X-3, their parts will likely be minor cameo's the Scott was in X-3 or Logan was in FC.

That's completely the opposite of X-Men here, where they are trying to throw out whatever doesn't work (Last Stand, Origins) as a result of their own missteps, and eradicate it from existence through this plot device.

Thats not really clear yet though, X3 is being used in The Wolverine. And we have no idea what continuity is being kept from X 1 and 2 in DOFP. They could very well just start a new timeline for the FC crew so they dont rely on the originals continuity, making FC essentially a reboot which would be a similar situation to Star Trek. Im sure Fox is thinking about the future of these films, how long the original actors will/can return may not be that long after this film is released.

That sounds worryingly like Superman Returns (a follow-up to the best of the previous films) - and we all know how that turned out.

Yes, ignoring the "bad films" because the earlier films were so good is not a good idea.

I'll say one thing. With all this time travel stuff, The Wolverine sure will be interesting in regards to how much they address the previous films (X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine in particular). Will they address that the latter film existed or are they going to pretend it never happened? How will that rumor of the [blackout]Jean Grey cameo[/blackout] pan out if true? And if Hugh Jackman joins X-Men: Days of Future Past, will it end up contradicting anything?

It may or may not be a tricky situation.

And what exactly will make Days of future past better by keeping The Last
Stand In contunity?

I think there's a good way for keeping The Last Stand in continuity, it just how they will handle the story. But it seems like Bryan Singer wants ignore X3 and Origins: Wolverine so he could continue what he originally wanted for X3. Who knows maybe after DOFP, we would get a movie about the Dark Phoenix again. They just have to accept the fact that Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine happened, they exist, a lot of people watched them, even though they sucked, they have to learn to move on. What if The Wolverine sucked and X-Men: Days of Future Past sucked? Are they gonna try to ignore them also? No, right.

I'll say one thing. With all this time travel stuff, The Wolverine sure will be interesting in regards to how much they address the previous films (X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine in particular). Will they address that the latter film existed or are they going to pretend it never happened? How will that rumor of the [blackout]Jean Grey cameo[/blackout] pan out if true? And if Hugh Jackman joins X-Men: Days of Future Past, will it end up contradicting anything?

It may or may not be a tricky situation.

In the video chat James Mangold and Hugh Jackman said The Wolverine takes
place after three other films.But which films where they talking about?

I think we should wait till we see the final film before making any defentive statements on contunity.If we don't see or hear any referenses made to
X-men on screen In film Bryan Singer can do what he wants.

As for the
reported Famke Janssen cameo In The Wolverine Wolverine may simply have dream or hallunication of Jean similar to how Liem Neeson was used In The Dark Knight Rises

I think there's a good way for keeping The Last Stand in continuity, it just how they will handle the story. But it seems like Bryan Singer wants ignore X3 and Origins: Wolverine so he could continue what he originally wanted for X3. Who knows maybe after DOFP, we would get a movie about the Dark Phoenix again. They just have to accept the fact that Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine happened, they exist, a lot of people watched them, even though they sucked, they have to learn to move on. What if The Wolverine sucked and X-Men: Days of Future Past sucked? Are they gonna try to ignore them also? No, right.

They'll need another time travel yarn to undo the events of Days of Future Past and erase it from continuity. :cwink:

And if that one doesn't work...

And what exactly will make Days of future past better by keeping The Last
Stand In contunity?

And yet The Wolverine is set after X3, with Wolverine affected by the events of X3 and their aftermath.

They won't build a franchise and shared universe if they keep tossing films out.

They don't have to keep on referencing The Last Stand or XMO: Wolverine but they shouldn't be directly contradicting it either.

Some of the biggest complaints about First Class were about continuity and how it contradicted not only the non-Singer films but also Singer's own work on X1 and X2. The main issues raised were about continuity and contradictions.

On that basis, they should try to work with what they have. Otherwise, every single film they make is a semi-reboot. And that's what's got us into the mess we are in now.

Even if The Last Stand remains In contunity Days of future Past Is not about
finding some complicated way to connect It or undo the storyline.Now that will mean Cyclops and Jean won't be In future part of film.That Increases chances of Storm being In future part of film.

Everyone wants to ignore Origins.The Wolverine Is distancing Itself from that.and If Deadpool Is made so will It.

The future part of this film will likely be possable future for eather X-Men/X2 characters or X-Men trilogy characters If the event the time travel Is trying to stop goes forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"