Days of Future Past Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

Maybe if Brett Ratner and Gavin Hood ever come to work on the X-Men series again, they'll undo Days of Future Past and put X3 and Origins back into continuity again.

And yet The Wolverine is set after X3, with Wolverine affected by the events of X3 and their aftermath.

They won't build a franchise and shared universe if they keep tossing films out.

They don't have to keep on referencing The Last Stand or XMO: Wolverine but they shouldn't be directly contradicting it either.

Some of the biggest complaints about First Class were about continuity and how it contradicted not only the non-Singer films but also Singer's own work on X1 and X2. The main issues raised were about continuity and contradictions.

On that basis, they should try to work with what they have. Otherwise, every single film they make is a semi-reboot. And that's what's got us into the mess we are in now.

Yet In video chat Hugh Jackman and James mangold said the Wolverine Is set
after the three other films.But which three are they talking about?That means
at least 1 of 5 X-men movies Is being ignored.And the question Is will we see any references to X-Men on screen In the Wolverine.If not that gives Bryan
Singer opportunity to do what he wants with DOFP.

at least 1 of 5 X-men movies Is being ignored.And the question Is will we see any references to X-Men on screen In the Wolverine.If not that gives Bryan

Well, Mangold said 'Jean is dead, the X-Men have disbanded' so that means a future just after the end of The Last Stand. At the end of The Last Stand, Beast went off to be a UN ambassador, Storm became a headmistress whose first duty was to the kids, the main threat (Magneto) was seemingly cured, Rogue was also cured, and Cyclops, Jean and Xavier were apparently dead. So the X-Men would probably have disbanded as a peacekeeping force.

I think Mangold meant X1, X2 and X3. But he might also have meant X1, X2 and First Class.

The problem comes in directly contradicting any of the other films in a very obvious way.

He may have meant X1-3 but If nothing on screen actully says It they could say
first Class,X-men,X2.Now In July when we see the Wolverine and Wolverine says to character I was part of group that has disbanded then we can take yes It and days of future past does take place after the Last Stand.

Ohhhhhhwooooo awesome news! :woot: Great to know that the two original actors I actually wanted to come back real bad will return.

I wonder if there will be any interaction between the two generations, even if it's some telepathic mumbo-jumbo between old! and new! Charleses. It would be strange if they don't meet at all, especially if Charles and Erik are still the main characters in the movie.

Continuity-wise, since Singer actually mentioned alternate timelines in an interview I'm betting on them using an alternate future where X1-X3 did not happen. That would sidestep the whole problem of connecting FC to the original trilogy while still using the same familiar characters from the trilogy.

Maybe if Brett Ratner and Gavin Hood ever come to work on the X-Men series again, they'll undo Days of Future Past and put X3 and Origins back into continuity again.

:doh:

Don't do that...you're making my head hurt...

:word:

I think Mangold is bringing it up consciously for a reason...both thematically and narratively... Yes, his film will exist "on its own" in present day/post X3 continuity (probably one of the primary reasons he agreed to take on the project), but he also wouldn't be specifically mentioning the issue itself without it being important somewhere...even if not until the end/mid-credits...

Notice Jackman's sly "whatever happens after" comment in that interview, as well...the plan is clearly already afoot to "re-align" things [whether The Wolverine is a conscious part of that or not]...and Jackman's in on it.

Singer should just call this new film X-Men: Do Over.

Well Xavier could be from the alternate Days Of Future Past timeline.

If the event that happens in the 1960s creates two different timelines. The first timeline being the original one which is the original X-Men Trilogy and the second timeline which is the Days Of Future Past timeline.

In the Days Of Future Past timeline none of the events from the Singer and Ratner X-Men movies took place so characters that died, depowered, ect may still be alive and vice versas.

With Xavier we might get a Wolverine and The X-Men or X3 type thing where he transfers his consciousness or someone elses into another body.

I can see that.

Or maybe like in the X-men cartoon where Bishop and Cable were traveling to protect their respective futures.

Magneto is the depowered one from X3 trying to get his past self to do something to stop what happens in that future.

And an alternate universe Xavier either goes back or mentally coaches a younger X-Man to help his younger self stop the DOFP.

This is great news but I won't get really excited unless I hear Marsden is returning.
Cyke needs his due in at least one of these films.

Am i the only one that doesn't like this...at all?

X-Men and X2 are great movies, specially the second, but they are not good X-Men adaptations.

I was hoping First Class was a new take on things, a restart......sad to know it isn't so.

You didn't realize that from... watching First Class? :dry:

This news is very exciting! I loved Stewart as the Prof and McKellen was a epic villain.

I wonder if this will anything like Star Trek First Contact where Picard and crew went back in time. It could be a cross between that and Star Trek Generations.

My only concern is having different actors playing the same character at different ages. It's such a pet peeve of mine...

I wonder if they're going to try some kind of Looper makeup effect? ;)

I wonder if this will anything like Star Trek First Contact where Picard and crew went back in time. It could be a cross between that and Star Trek Generations.

We must travel back to the 60s, and stop whatever damage they've DONE!

My only concern is having different actors playing the same character at different ages. It's such a pet peeve of mine...

Personally I hope not. Unlike you, it has never been a pet peeve of mine. And it definitely won't be a problem in this case.

Personally I hope not. Unlike you, it has never been a pet peeve of mine. And it definitely won't be a problem in this case.

Worked fine for Star Trek '09.

I don't expect multiple generation-communication to become a "regular thing" for the X-film franchise...

:word:

Ugh I hope not. I really enjoyed that movie but the make-up for the younger actor looked so obvious it kept taking me out of movie all the time.

From the main page:

Today, The Huffington Post caught up with McKellen to ask him about the return.

"What a gas!' said the actor. "I mean, Patrick Stewart and I have been have just been playing "Waiting for Godot" throughout England and in the West End of London. So, we've stayed in touch. We can't believe it [laughs]. I thought these were Fassbender and McAvoy's parts, but -- no, no -- we're back. We'll give them a run for their money. I mean, I haven't read the script, so I don't know how much we've got to do. But, to be back in that world, and for Bryan to be doing it -- with all the success he's had in the meantime -- it's wonderful. Wonderful."

Speaking of Michael Fassbender, what did McKellen think of him as Magneto in X-Men: First Class? "I thought he was exactly that: first class. Excellent... I thought he was better than me. But, we weren't quite playing the same character because he was so much younger than me."

I'm so giddy! THIS is the return of the feeling I lost when it was announced Brett Ratner was doing X3.

Gotta love Sir Ian!

I wonder now if old! Erik and Charles might actually be on the same side for a change in this dark apocalyptic future. That would be interesting to see. Magneto teamed up with the X-Men in X2, but Charles wasn't really around for that.

Surprised that he hasn't read the script yet but great to hear his enthusiasm for the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"