Paul Dano is Edward Nashton aka "The Riddler"

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by TheGuy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Ryan Registered

Love all these new Riddler pics. I remember back in the day people were researching what comprised the Joker's outfit. Anyone done any research into what the Riddler is wearing?

2. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

3. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

4. AndyTrevino This says a lot about our society

The cold weather face mask is a big one. He's also wearing "birth control" goggles or something like that for the glasses it looks like.

Ryan likes this.
  5. AndyTrevino This says a lot about our society

It can be cruel, poetic, or blind. But when it's denied, it's your violence you may find.

WatchProtect likes this.
  6. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Here's my prediction for Riddler's story.

Edward was a poor kid. They said if you work hard, get good grades, you can make something of yourself (smart = successful. Only the intelligent survive), and so Ed makes that his goal. But turns out darwinistic capitalism is a little trickier than that, especially if you have mental health issues as Ed does, and if your family can't support you, whereas someone like Bruce just walks into whatever college he pleases because of his family name. So, Ed goes nowhere in life, and like Bruce, he becomes a bitter recluse.

Edward uncovers that a group of powerful wealthy Gothamites (Waynes included) halted the construction of a very expensive, but very necessary seawall to account for rising tides in the decades to come, which if left unaddressed, would start flooding the poorer neighbourhoods of the city.

Ed lives a lonely life, so in his last ditch effort to make something of himself, he turns to "true Justice", like Batman, to be a "hero" for Gotham's poor, donning a mask, a name, all that. First, he goes after the politicians who aren't really going to change anything, especially since they're all in bed with the city's criminal underworld anyways, and then attempts to drown the "cesspool of a city" (ala Zero Year), expediting the process, showing the rich how much they were screwing the poor, and making them all pay for lying, for ignoring the plight of the less fortunate and the mentally unstable.

This is how he's going to make people take notice, by levelling the economic playing field, only allowing the intelligent to survive, as that was what he was told that life was all about. And though he says he's doing it for justice, really it's vengeance. He wants to dig the knife into those more fortunate than him, and those who had been turning a blind eye, like Bruce.

#1056 FeedOnATreeFrog, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    WayneMB likes this.
  7. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

Gotta say I love how they're portraying the Riddler. I mean outfit aside, just his portrayal as a Zodiac type killer with creepy clues and an even creepier voice. They did well making the villain an intellectual threat this time.

#1057 BrollySupersj, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  8. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I do wonder how if they'll explain how The Riddler knows Bruce's identity or if he just knows cause he's smart enough to put two and two together.

9. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Darkness (he/him/his)

I'd assume the latter

The former would create a plot hole of why he's the only one and it'd downplay his intelligence

10. chintai80 oh hi.

i'm also digging how they seem to be comparing and contrasting bruce and edward nashton here.

both of them putting on masks, using a fake voice to make themselves into something elemental and larger than life.
    and to contrast, both are fighting for their own views of what "justice" is.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  11. The Batman The Dark Knight

I don't get the feeling that he knows Bruce is Batman. That seems more like trailer trickery to me.

Babillygunn, emielaen and AndyTrevino like this.
  12. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

What is your favorite Riddler line thus far? Mine is "I've been trying to reach you..."

I think that's how I'll greet people when I call them over the phone.

13. The Batman The Dark Knight

Probably "You're not as smart as I thought you were".

I think that's probably something I'll end up saying to someone I call on the phone. :o

DKDetective likes this.
  14. Blade Hoarder Registered

Ten bucks Batman throws that line back at him at the end.

15. WatchProtect Registered

My favorite is the "You're really not as smart as I thought you were."

I agree I dont think he knows Bruce is Batman either, I kinda hope he doesn't because I feel like a lot of villains know the heroes identity nowadays.

16. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

How did he figure it out in Hush? I can’t remember if there was something specific or if he just figured it out.

17. Mindreaper21 ?????

The Lazarus Pit

18. Mindreaper21 ?????

Bringing this to the Riddler thread.

From what I can tell, The Riddler is flexing his intellectual superiority. He just has an actual motive that’s along the lines of Zero Year and Earth One as well. He can do both. There’s nothing wrong with that. He’s doing the same things he’s been doing in the comics, but in a more serious tone and as less of a gimmick.

Also it’s literally the early years for all of the characters. Batman, Catwoman, and Riddler are all starting off with handmade outfits. Everyone has to start somewhere.

blackmidi and AndyTrevino like this.
  19. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I guess the mere inclusion of a moral crusader aspect is what feels decidedly un-Riddler to me, not just the fact that it's apparently superseding his usual motivation of proving his genius for its own sake. No, there's nothing wrong with him demonstrating both of those aspects to his motivation. No one said there was anything wrong with it. I was just airing my hesitation.

And please, don't try to justify the characterisation to me by saying it's early days lol. It's unnecessary to do so. As I said, if it works for me, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I don't need The Batman to be perfect.

20. shauner111 Registered

He is not a good person and his ego runs wild. Trust me. He is not Dexter Morgan.

21. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

It's part of his arc at least according to someone on Reddit who went to one of the test screenings.

Riddler does start as someone doing bad things for admirable reason but he doesn't end that way
    [ He does something really bad that kill's many innocents just for the hell of it.

#1071 BMW 224, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    AndyTrevino and C Prometheus like this.
  22. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

My guess is they've combined the characters of The Riddler and Hush.

23. Mindreaper21 ?????

The only thing Hush-like about this Riddler is that he was probably a friend of Bruce. Thomas Elliot was a rich sociopath that tried to kill his parents by cutting the brakes to their car. He succeeded in killing his father, but his mother survived thanks to Thomas Wayne’s surgical skills. Elliot had to watch his mother suffer until she died of cancer. He hated the Wayne’s for this. He hated Bruce because Bruce inherited his parents fortune after their death, which is what Elliot was trying to do. He goes on to become a surgeon all the while plotting revenge against Bruce. The Riddler shares Batman’s identity with him and Elliot fakes his death then becomes Hush. After he was caught, he was later kidnapped by Joker and had his heart removed and replaced with a pacemaker. Elliot turns to Batman who eventually betrays him. Then he goes on to use his surgical skills to cut portions of people’s faces off to look like Bruce in order to kill him and inherit his fortune.

None of that is like this Riddler at all.

#1073 Mindreaper21, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  24. wychwood Registered

I identified the jacket he's wearing. It's a 1980's german military parka. It looks a bit greener in the stills, not sure if it's dyed or it's a color grading thing. I might hit mine with some RIT but all the details match up exactly.
    This is mine:

AndyTrevino and Ryan like this.
  25. Art Vandelay Registered

I have a feeling his jacket is waxed. It has a slightly glossy look in the publicity photos.