• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Popular comic stories that you didn't really care for.

I can appreciate what he did in terms of making comics 'dark' again, but Miller loves to just jump off the deep end with that gimmick. To the point where it's essentially a parody of itself (and I've heard people argue that DKSA and All-Star Batman were meant to be read ironically, but IMO if readers can't distinguish between when you're being serious and when you're just having a laugh, you've failed as a writer)

Also, as for the F-Bombs in the Star Wars universe, I believe the canon expletive is 'kark' (or at least it's the one they use in Legacy)

I think DKR is meant to be taken seriously while ASB&RtBW is meant to be read for the lulz.

I didn't care for Death of Superman and Funeral for A Friend. So much that I skipped it entirely.

I dug the actual fight between Supes & Doomsday; everything else I could've done without.

I loved all of the Reign of Supermen characters. It's a shame most of them are either gone or tucked away where no one gives a s*** about them.

I think DKR is meant to be taken seriously while ASB&RtBW is meant to be read for the lulz.

Really? Because I find it impossible to take DKR seriously.

I loved all of the Reign of Supermen characters. It's a shame most of them are either gone or tucked away where no one gives a s*** about them.

Is Steel even alive? I don't even know anymore.

I thought Steel was in Infinity Inc. Where no one gives a **** about him.

Exactly.
Really? Because I find it impossible to take DKR seriously.
Well, more so than ASB&RtBW. Who knows what could've happened in those 15 or 20 years that changed Bruce's character into what Miller presents us with in DKR? Calling Dick ******ed within five minutes of saving his life, well, that's harder to justify.

Mark Millar hit the nail on the head when he said that Frank Miller just writes whatever stories he wants. The blowback is that said approach is confusing as hell. That's primarily why I don't bother buying comics written by Miller anymore. If he's not going to give the effort to make sense, why should I stick around for the ride when I can get in-continuity comics that are consistently better than what he's writing?

Crisis on Inifinite Earths - Though I do/did enjoy Infinite Crisis. I havent picked up Final Crisis yet though :(.

Planet Hulk

Spider-Man's One More Day

I can assure you "One More Day" is not at all popular.
I add "Carnage" & "Maximum Carnage" to my list. I liked them at first, but they are a prime example of the style-over-substance mentality that infected comics severely in the 90's.

I liked Maximum Carnage. It's a very simple "evil drags good through hell but good triumphs over evil in the end" sort of story. You don't get many of those anymore. I don't think Maximum Carnage is very popular these days either, by the way.

It was mainly the ending that ruined it for me-the "good bomb" was too damn hokey for words.

Heh, yeah, that was a bit silly. It was the '90s. What're you gonna do?

I will concede that there were a lot of good elements in the story, apart from that nonsense. I especially liked the ways that Spidey was either tempted or encouraged to turn his back on his moral code.

I liked the unrepentant evilness of Carnage and Shriek. Complex, layered villains are great and all, but sometimes there's something really rewarding about a story where a clear, unabashed evil gets stomped on by a solid good.

But Spider-Man is a flawed good. THat's a huge part of his appeal, IMO.

Flawed as a character, sure, but not flawed in his moral convictions. He may be tempted and he may falter from time to time in small ways, but he'll never go bad or anything. He's pure good in the sense that he doesn't compromise his morals for personal gain or declare himself judge, jury, and executioner or anything.

True. He's come close, though. Hella close. But he does not waver.

Yeah. I like the think that Spider-Man is that extra-good sort of good like Superman and Captain America. If there were a superhero Untouchables, they'd all be members.

What's intersting about that is that Spidey doesn't consider himself on par with them. But his self-sacrificing heroism comes through every single time he's put to the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"