The Dark Knight Rises Predict how TDKR will be critically received.

Yurka

Let The Games Begin!
Reaction score
This conversation has popped up a few times so I figured it could use its own thread. With the tomatometer from Rottentomatoes in mind, how do you think The Dark Knight Rises will be received by fans and critics based on what you've seen so far? For those of you who don't know how RottenTomatoes, or the tomatometer works, get out!

Kidding. The tomatometer is calculated by taking the number of positive or "fresh" reviews, and dividing them by the total number, giving a percentage of positive reviews. Therefore, Batman Begins has a 85% (222/261) and The Dark Knight has a 94% (265/283).

Essentially, rate how you think the film will do, and reasons why you think so.

I think it's going to be in the 80-90% range. It could go lower than that but I don't see it going lower than 75%.

I think in the range of like 83 - 95 at best. 83 I doubt, but thats the lowest Ill say. Nolan dosnt even have anything going below 80 with the exception of his first movie fallowing, which was his first. 70 would be a big disappointment with him and I dont see it going close to that low. 95 not likely either, but the highest I am willing to think it COULD go. If I had to pick a number, If I had to narrow it down more 88 - 93 is what I think, but 83-95 is I think reasonable to say considering I dont know what to expect

The Prestige is 76% and I consider that his best film. :(

I can't really give a score but I can see a lot of "The Dark Knight was better. Heath Ledger's performance can't be topped".

Really? I guess I missed that one. Okay, so 2 going below 80, which dosnt change what I said to much. Oh and while I dont consider Prestige his number 1 best, I will say it deserves more than a damn 76%. I would boost it up about 10 or more points to maybe 90...ish. I would definitely put it above Inception. Inception to me is a 76. My list of best Nolan films goes...

1) Memento
2) The Dark Knight
3) Batman Begins/ Prestige (Tie)
4)Maybe Inception, but idk because Ive never seen Insomnia or Fallowing.

Im expecting TDKRises to make the top 3 somewhere

Spider-Man 3 ... 63% FRESH
X-Men: The Last Stand ... 57% ROTTEN

Well it's unlikely to be lower than that no matter what happens.

I don't let sites like MetaCritic/RT dictate what I like or what I go to see. Most film reviewers are liberal men that live in significant cities and that's what these sites reflect. Just like that recent study that the Academy for the Oscars is made up mostly of old white men and reflects their tastes.

By critics, it'll probably be adored.

By the general public, they probably won't like it as much. (Wah, wah. Where's da Joker?)

Financially, I just don't see this making as much as TDK. I dunno why...

Spider-Man 3 ... 63% FRESH
X-Men: The Last Stand ... 57% ROTTEN

Well it's unlikely to be lower than that no matter what happens.

I don't let sites like MetaCritic/RT dictate what I like or what I go to see. Most film reviewers are liberal men that live in significant cities and that's what these sites reflect. Just like that recent study that the Academy for the Oscars is made up mostly of old white men and reflects their tastes.

Agreed entirely. I find there is hardly ever a movie critics praise that I praise. TDK was one rare instance I agreed. Another would be Empire Strikes Back. Cant think of others.....its rare. V for Vendetta for example is one of my all time favs, and thats like 72%. For me, its way beyond that

The Prestige is 76% and I consider that his best film. :(

Nolan is maybe the only director I know of in which I can't rank his films. They're just all fantastic. I can't pick a "best" or "worst". His worst, which, ironically I would probably have to say is "Memento", is still better than 90% of movies out there.

I chose 81-90% on the poll. I have no doubts that the entire cast will be fantastic, the cinematography will be beautiful, and the overall story will be captivating.

What worries me the most is the already obvious social commentary aspects, and the notion that this is the "last" film so no punches will be pulled. While I have plenty of faith in Nolan, I'm still hesitant to give my full support on this on in that he may try something a bit too ambitious and it could bite him in the butt.

By critics, it'll probably be adored.

By the general public, they probably won't like it as much. (Wah, wah. Where's da Joker?)

Financially, I just don't see this making as much as TDK. I dunno why...

If Spiderman 3 made more money than Spiderman 2.....TDKR is MORE than capable of beating TDK.

Nolan is maybe the only director I know of in which I can't rank his films. They're just all fantastic. I can't pick a "best" or "worst". His worst, which, ironically I would probably have to say is "Memento", is still better than 90% of movies out there.

I chose 81-90% on the poll. I have no doubts that the entire cast will be fantastic, the cinematography will be beautiful, and the overall story will be captivating.

What worries me the most is the already obvious social commentary aspects, and the notion that this is the "last" film so no punches will be pulled. While I have plenty of faith in Nolan, I'm still hesitant to give my full support on this on in that he may try something a bit too ambitious and it could bite him in the butt.

WHAAA!?!?? :wow:

If Spiderman 3 made more money than Spiderman 2.....TDKR is MORE than capable of beating TDK.

Well, you see TDKR and SM3 are flipped in a way.

Spider-Man 3 had Spider-Man's most famous villain among the general audience (Venom) so more people saw the movie hoping to see him. TDK featured Batman's most famous villain among the general audience (Joker) so more people went to see that. TDKR doesn't have a fan favorite villain just like SM2 didn't.

And I never said it wasn't capable, it's more than capable. But SM3 was also more than capable of not sucking so...

WHAAA!?!?? :wow:

Lol, thats my point. All of his movies are so good, in some way I consider them all favorites. I adore Memento, but of Nolan's filmography, I would consider it my "least" favorite.

Lol, fair enough. It has to be his most intelligent in terms of how its put together tho. Not many movies tested my attention span like that one. It dosnt have the repeat watch/ entertainment value of his later films, but still, its near perfect

Well, you see TDKR and SM3 are flipped in a way.

Spider-Man 3 had Spider-Man's most famous villain among the general audience (Venom) so more people saw the movie hoping to see him. TDK featured Batman's most famous villain among the general audience (Joker) so more people went to see that. TDKR doesn't have a fan favorite villain just like SM2 didn't.

And I never said it wasn't capable, it's more than capable. But SM3 was also more than capable of not sucking so...

Im not so sure its as much about Venom as it is about the success of SM2. I think thats more important. I mean, Avatar 2 is coming around 2015/2016, and I think its pretty much safe to say it will make the top 3 biggest box office hits if it dosnt beat the first. TDK was more successful than SM2, I think that momentum is what makes TDKR a huge hit.

I don't think it will be as well received critically simply because I believe there will be some form of backlash against Nolan. I just get the feeling from certain critics that people are just waiting for him to fail at something.

How the hell is The Prestige in the 70s at RT?!?! It's easily Nolan's best work, in the screenplay department anyway.

As for this movie, I think around the same as Begins. What was that, 86% or something?

After seeing TDK and Inception, I think box office wise, it's going to break the record.

Critically, I believe it will be a success; Nolan always has a way of getting better with each film he makes somehow. Action sequences, cinematography, special and visual effects, performances, etc. I want it to be the GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME, and in all honesty, despite Heath Ledger's unforgettable performance as the Joker..... I do honestly believe it CAN be topped.

I know, I committed a sin saying that. But fact is, just as TDK was to BB, it was different in many ways but at the same time improving in other things as well. It cannot be truly compared, only followed. Why people won't accept this film for being possibly better is that they have this grudge that after TDK, it just can't get any better. While I admit the film is practically flawless and near perfection as near perfection gets, Nolan has always had the balls to go bigger and try new things. And so far after EVERY FILM he's made, he has earned that recognition with flying colors. Whether Hollywood accepts it or not, he is the world's greatest director and story teller that I have so far see come to the big screen.

It will NEVER be the same without Heath's Joker in the series, but when making TDKR, everyone knew the story wasn't at end just yet and the story had to go on. You can outdo what the Joker did to Gotham easily, but it's just a matter of people willing to accept it. And if you know the source material fairly well like myself, this is the film that has to go out with a BANG! It has to increase and get bigger, yet coming to the conclusion that we as fans have been waiting for adapted to in film... successfully. And if you've read Knightfall, you know no other villain could bring this amount of conflict like Bane ever could.

Sure, Joker is Batman's arch rival, but Bane's gotten so much closer to defeating him; in fact, he's the only one who's gotten the closest. He broke Batman of his physical and mental capabilities of cleaning the streets of Gotham for a good amount of time, and at that point... there really looked like there was no hope. I feel that naturally if you don't have a Joker to work with in this franchise anymore, then Bane's next in line. Simple as that.

And by the looks of it, it's coming to a full circle as well, if Batman does the impossible and overcomes all of the obstacles we're seeing right now... I can GUARANTEE YOU that me and the rest of the audience will stand up from our chairs and cheer.

We need to come to our senses and conclude that the only way to go is up.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

And Christopher Nolan certainly isn't afraid to dream a lot bigger than TDK.

Fwiw, I consider Batman Begins as fundamentally Nolan's worst film, by quite a distance. I also loved The Prestige, and so cannot understand how it is rated reasonably low.

Anyway, I think TDKR is going to atleast equal the TDK numbers. I also think it will be critically acclaimed, probably on the same level as TDK(which had so much hyperbole surrounding it). I don't envisage it staying in cinema's for 6 months like Inception, but this film is going to absolutely huge this year. Whether it will live up to the hype is doubtful, because nothing ever does, and TDK was a surprise to critics and the GA atleast.

I think the critics will be ruthless about any flaws. Because people love to look for ways of criticising something so popular and widely well regarded so that they don't look like sheep.

For every 5 reviews saying 'That was a fantastic film', there will be one saying 'Everyone's saying it's fantastic, but here's why it's not'.

Of course, if it's completely blow you out of the water amazing, even the people who would usually pick at it might hold there hands up and admit it :)

Begins doesn't get enough credit. In fact, I think it's criminally underrated. Yes, it's without a doubt Nolan's most saturated film due to studio interference and Goyer painting some scenes with more comic book flair, but the fact it planted the seed for this grand trilogy makes it a masterpiece in and of itself, even if it doesn't show vividly on the surface.

Think about it. If we didn't have Begins, we wouldn't have been introduced to the amazing supporting cast that extends to Oldman, Freeman and Caine. We wouldn't have a Bruce Wayne on an idealistic crusade to inspire Gotham with hope, tipping the scales from the fear perpetuated by organised crime, corrupt officials, and the chaos brought by the adversaries he himself manifests in the Joker and Bane. All the philosophy and intellectualism that people love in TDK probably wouldn't have even made it in were it a stand-alone film and not resting on promises it set out to fulfill from Batman Begins.

Good as Inception, Memento and The Prestige are they lack one thing the Begin's plot had: a legacy that could span two more films, one most assuredly being a masterpiece.

I don't think it will do as well as TDK among the GA, as the success of TDK rode on the Heath's death. Not to say Tom won't give an equally earth-shattering performance, but he's still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"