World Real Webshooters

Glad you learned how to finally clear your cookies Frank.;) Anyways...great ideas guys.

Yeah.

Well, okay...

You can make some goo...sure, that's possible. But, how do you plan on putting the mixed solution in a cylinder and having it shoot out? I mean, the idea is that it's liquid, and then becomes a solid once it's released into the air. With this stuff, you have to make it beforehand....not to mention that you (sadly) can't swing from it :(

I hope that didn't sound rude, I was just thinking about it and realized you couldnt really do it that way. :)

I agree, I need someone who knows CO2, technology and electrical expertise to help with my working shooters.

OK, I got a few web fluid ideas.
One inolves borax mixed in water, and elmer's glue. All you do is pour glue in the borax solution and it will automatically form a rubbery blob type thing.

Another involvesthe borax solution and a thing called guar gum, which is a powder substance. All you do is mix the guar gum with water, and mix the guar/water solution with the borax/water solution, and stir it until it turns to slime.

There's this Polyvinyl alcohol thing (described in one of the links), that, mixed with the water/borax solution turns into the goo too, and both are very fluid :)

Its good to see that we all share similar ideas. I'm new here...well, not exactly. I was a member here a year before the first Spider-Man movie came out. Man,those were some crazy days.

Anywho, I once had the same idea as many of you who about making webshooters. But, my idea included actually shooting webs. I know it may sound crazy, but I found many websites (that deals with halloween decorations) that sells this chemical in which you can use to make realistic spider webs. See, you had to put the chemical into a container, secure the container onto a drill with a perpaler(sp?) behind it, and be able to shoot out the webbing. But when I first found out about this stuff, I had no money or other means to buy the stuff. Now, I have a paypal account and a job, but I can't find the stuff for a decent price on line.

I hope we can discuss this more. Until next time...

Interesting idea about the fluid for Halloween Cobweb shooter. Anyone ever play around with that stuff? Does it harden on contact with air? If it was compressed, it could shoot out far and harden, maybe stick to stuff, but, it would probably break if pulled. I mean forget swinging from anything, you couldn't even pick up a can of soup with it, but it would look cool. Plus, i hear it s b**ch to get off things, clothes, walls, etc...

I've read about them on lots of halloween sites they seem promising.I should check some sites and see whats up.

Thank you for the welcoming. Well, I've been to many sites and most of them are either selling it for $70, or were sold out. I'm still searching though...

thanks for the link.....why is it on every page that has hthese they never show pictures....oh well

Well silly string starts out as a compressed liquid, then upon expansion and contact with air becomes solid (semi). That stuff fires about 20-30ft, so a modification of this as opposed to solenoid driven spinnerets would be most practically possible.
There's that lame, giant, takes up most of your arm toy web shooter that basically has a can of silly string strapped onto a kids arm and the palm press merely pushes down the release nozzle. But the basic theory behind it is sound.

Imagine a miniature (approx 10mm D, 40mm L) aerosol can of silly string (for arguement's sake as we've yet to have a really good idea for feasible webbing) with the release hole on the top as with many new deodorants. Just in front of this hole is a small metal plate (20mm L, 10mm W, 1mm thick) with a hole in the middle slightly smaller than the size of the plastic nozzle on the end of the aerosol (nozzle 5mm D, 5mm L; plate hole 3mm D). Set behind the metal plate is another of the same size that has a semicircular groove slightly smaller than the aerosol can (approx 8mm D). The aerosol rests in this groove as a means of fixing the can in place/loading the cartridge. The groove rests in between the end of the can and the start of the nozzle.
The grooved plate has two short, fixed arms on either side (6mm L). The first plate is attached to these arms by way of sliding up and down them (sandwich-like)
A current is sent through the grooved plate to turn it into an electromagnet due to the workings arranged just behind the aerosol can where the other fixing point for the can is. This mechanism is triggered by two micro switches in the palm of the hand - both must be pressed for power to run to the mechanism
When this happens, the first plate is snapped back to the grooved plate, thereby bringing the nozzle down with it. The pressure is released as with any other aerosol, and the fluid is fired.

Sounds dumb I know, and it might take several micro-solenoids behind the cartridge housing to illicit enough force. But it makes the issue of several container linked up, and CO2 issues a bit easier.

I think we are trying to think to big. It could be as simple as getting a very small can of silly string and use the concept of the crappy store bought one and just press down the button to spray stuff out. But make everything about 1/3 the size. It should be about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and 4-5 inches long.

The problem is, no one knows how to make silly string, plus, canning it into aerosol cans is expensive, not to mention it would run out every 4 or 5 presses. You would need to have custom cans made and that is very expensive. Unless a toy company decides to do it and sell it, an individual does not have the starting capital to do this. You need something you can buy in bulk and keep refilling, because CO2 cartridges are really cheap, the question is how far will it make something shoot, I have not tested anything yet, I mean, they make really small co2 cartridges, 8oz would fit on the wrist just fine and with a good design of a shooter could fit in perfectly. Again, we need someone with fabricationg experience to make a hollow shooter that fits on the wrist to hold liquid, has spot to attach co2, and tubing to the soleniod.

Using CO2 capsules for BB guns would be alot cheaper than anything in aerosol cans.... and ALOT stronger, meaning it would shoot farther...

CO2 has something like 800PSI I think and normal aerosol cans wont get you more than 100(in general)...

Real webshooters would be very nice, but if any of you guys can think of anything to make webbing, youd beat scientists that are paid 150K a year and been working on it for 10-15years... Theirs is alot of substitues out there for movie props, one thing that could work is fiberglass, but how do you get it to mix enough and what do you for it not to dry when using? questions I cannot answer =P

edit: Just imagine the range youd get from silly string at around 8 times the pressure... Would take someone's eye out lol

I hear fiberglass can be tricky...not to mention if you get it on your skin..... very itchy

These are some great ideas guys. With all of our ideas, I feel that we can achieve something. It may not be webbing thats strong enough to hold our own weight, but this webshooter could be used as a prop for those who like to make Spider-Man costumes. Man, its cool to actually discuss this with people who knows about Spider-Man.

If only we could take this up with a silly string company. I know it would be expensive to do it by yourself. We should try to contact the company that makes the webshooters for toys. Tell them about what we are thinking, an dmaybe they could at least make some mini web cartridges.

the reason they dont do it already is because of safety issuse with kids...you know...chemicals...do not ingest sort of thing....but i have to agree wholheartedly with webshooterx....we could make some interesting props for costumes

One thing I was thinking about is use the big silly string cans on your belt or somethin, and have a tube running to the shooters, when it gets to the wrist area use the CO2 as propellant... like somehow use a Y connector to the tube so that the CO2 can propel it foward even more...

But it probably wouldn't come out as a string since the CO2 would break them in the tube...

But yea going with that idea would be the smartest way IMO because, you wont be able to have alot of fluid of whatever directly on your wrist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"