Resistance 3

I dont like that they have a health bar in this. It feels so archaic and I prefer the more industry standard of regenerating health

I dont like that they have a health bar in this. It feels so archaic and I prefer the more industry standard of regenerating health

Regenerating health has completely neutered the genre in my opinion. I hate that industry caters to casuals now.

Regenerating health has completely neutered the genre in my opinion. I hate that industry caters to casuals now.
Oh man, agreed times a bajillion! Regenerating health just makes games feel so cheap and easy.

Wow that gameplay footage looks nice the game looks so much better than they last showed it at Spike VGA awards

Trust me, they have more to show. ;) They are spending the last six months of development solely on tuning the graphics engine and refining the game play.

On the topic of the archaic health system, my two cents. It's a welcomed addition. I personally think, as a few have stated here, the archaic health pack system offers a plethora of design opportunities that just aren't possible with this "new age" regenerative health system.

For instance, you don't have to cater/script your battles. I think Resistance 2 is a prime example of that. Most of the battles were scripted to cater to the new health system. Where as, with Resistance: Fall of Man, the designers could design to their hearts content and not have to feel like they "had" to create this epic moment.

A better instance would be this. The cathedral battle in Resistance: Fall of Man. Sure the setting was awesome and the design build up was executed beautifully. First starting players off with the swarm of Leapers to dispatch and then, just when you think it couldn't get worse, the doors blow open and two Steelheads come charging the room.

Who knows, maybe in that Leaper battle you lost most your health? You might be down to about fifty percent and there are no health packs around. The encounter with the Steelheads becomes that much more memorable. They don't have to design these tense encounters. Some of the more memorable battles can be absolute flukes but still be dear to the players hearts.

I know most of my fond memories from R: FoM's campaign came from these little instances rather then the designers actually going out of their ways to create these "Holy **** esque" moments. All in all, I think it was a smart design choice and I'm glad they stuck to their guns and decided to bring this back.

I also like how they are approaching it. Not sure if you guys noticed this but, Hybrids will now carry health packs with them. Something I've been wanting for a long time since a lot of Intelligence documents state that Hybrids depend on this symbiotic relationship with the yellow solution found in the containers. Hybrids aren't able to fully regenerate certain wounds.

Insomniac states that it adds a certain type of strategy to the game. One where you can see which Hybrids will be dropping health and you can choose how to dispatch them.

Very cool!

Looking forward to hearing your guys' thoughts on what they show in the future. :D

Oh man, agreed times a bajillion! Regenerating health just makes games feel so cheap and easy.
They should just make the hardest mode without regeneration. Or have it be checkable or uncheckable.

Or... people should just quit running and gunning then ducking behind walls to recover. Lather, rinse, repeat. The regenerating health bar is completely and totally weaksauce.

IDA about it making games easy. One could say the same thing about having a bunch of health packs on queue to help you through a difficult section. Its not like you could rush into battle, bc take a few hits and you were dead. There was still strategy to be used and you needed to take advantage of the cover system. There were definetly parts of R2 where you could easily be overwhelmed and it where you had little time to regenerate your health and/or hide. Clever level design and gameplay should take away from it being too cheap and easy.

I wonder when they will show off multiplayer for this game i hope it is as good as KZ3

One day I'm going to quote The Lizard in a news story as a source and Insonminac will never trust him with their vital information again. Mwahahahaha.

Insomniac is hosting a truly awesome contest, allowing lucky winners to make a personal appearance in the upcoming Resistance 3. Find out the details of how to enter and the full prizes right here.

Before everyone gets too excited, it should be noted that the contest is for Europeans only (specifically, Australia, Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, and the United Kingdom aged 18 or over). Now that you’re either angry about the restrictions, or excited because you qualify, we can jump into what exactly this competition is about.
The premise is simple; photograph yourself appearing to have just survived a Chimeran attack, and write a small summary of why you deserve to be an extra in the game. Winners then travel to San Diego, California and meet the Insomniac team. That’s right, Americans can’t enter the contest, but winners will be flown to America to meet the Insomniac development team personally, while they get scanned into the game! Only the entrant may appear in the photo submission, and photos will be judged on the following:
  • Use of facial expression
  • Use of props
  • Use of scenery/set
  • Relevance to the video game series Resistance
  • Portrayal of a survivor scene
  • Overall the most valid explanation put forward as to why they should be an extra
There will be two winners selected, and each will win:
  • Economy class return flights for the winner and a guest to San Diego
  • Up to two nights’ accommodation in a 3* hotel or above (bed and breakfast)
  • A day spent at a development studio where the winner will be 3D head scanned and included as an extra in the video game Resistance 3 (“Motion Capture Session”)
  • The winner’s name featured in Resistance 3‘s closing credits
  • Time spent meeting the development team behind Resistance 3
  • Transfers to and from the US airport, the hotel and the development studio
Submissions can be made as of today, so go here now to enter, and make sure to check out the full set of official rules too! There’s no doubt some of these entries should be really good, so hopefully we’ll get a look at some of the top photos when the contest ends March 8th, 2011.
• Economy class return flights for the winner and a guest to San Diego;
• Up to two nights’ accommodation in a 3* hotel or above (bed and breakfast);
• A day spent at a development studio where the winner will be 3D head scanned and included as an extra in the video game “Resistance 3″ (“Motion Capture Session”);
• The winner’s name featured in “Resistance 3′s” closing credits;
• Time spent meeting the development team behind “Resistance 3″; and
• Transfers to and from the US airport, the hotel and the development studio.

I want to know about the on-line multiplayer. I guess I'm one of the few who like the 8-man co-op.

Greetings from the PlayStation.Blog.Lounge here at the fabulous W Hotel, across the street from the Game Developers Conference in downtown San Francisco. As this post goes live, we are revealing our all-new multiplayer for Resistance 3. We’ve said all along we wanted Resistance 3’s MP mode to bring the best of both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2’s MP and co-op modes, and you’re about to see just how we’ve managed to do that.

Resistance 3 will feature 16-player Human vs. Chimera deathmatch and objective-based modes set in locations across the globe. That may seem somewhat jarring after the 40 and 60-player mayhem in RFOM and R2. Rest assured though, our biggest motivation in determining our new player count was the fun times that we and the community had on maps like RFOM’s Busyard and Rooftops, as well as the Bayou House and San Francisco maps in Resistance 2.
Resistance 3 will offer a very deep and customizable progression system. Players can create their own progression paths through multiplayer, spending their hard-earned points to customize loadouts that fit their unique playstyle. We learned a lot from Resistance 2 co-op in terms of giving players the ability to create specific roles in a team and level up different abilities – which you will see with the various active tactical and support abilities, as well as the new personal and combat attributes.

For instance – each player can choose and level different support abilities – such as a Bubble Shield, Ammo Beacon (give ammo to teammates) or Radar Beacon (enhance your team’s radar). There are also tactical abilities you can use against your enemies, such as the Doppelganger (projects an image of you nearby to distract enemies) or Dash (an explosive burst of speed to evade enemy attacks).
Furthermore, each player can select and level a personal attribute and a combat attribute. These range from the ability to have leapers bust out from your corpse, to start with more weapons in your arsenal, to reloading or firing at a faster rate. You will be able to truly customize your character loadout to fit your own unique playstyle in Resistance 3.
We’ve been working on this new direction for close to two years now, polishing and refining our maps. We’re having a ton of fun playing Resistance 3 in the office every day. We will be bringing a multiplayer beta to PSN later this year, so stay tuned to our newsletters (Check today’s for the first news on Insomniac’s Community Day on March 29th!), Full Moon Show podcast, Twitter feed and Facebook page for all the latest updates!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/02/resistance-3-multiplayer-revealed-beta-later-this-year/

Yay for only 16 players! Sounds great so far.

So no more medic, but "radar" now...interesting. I wonder how many people the co-op will have.

The Halo Fanboys are gonna be pissed about the Projection thing I wish there was some kind of video that showed some actual gameplay of multiplayer

Eh, I'm not crazy about the shields in competitive again. In R2, it really got annoying when people would just hide behind shields instead of actually engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"