"Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Lightning Strykez!, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

And I know you're not actually paying attention to a damn thing I'm saying. For the third time, these elements may be established in the films, but they're done in such an unsatisfying manner that people feel they're essentially non existent. And you can talk about Avengers all you want, but no one criticizes Captain America's or Thor's roles like they do Cyclops

Thank you for repeating what I just told you as if I didnt understand.

In your opinion.

Trying reading what I said. I said Star Wars tried to make much of their characters awesome, for lack of a better word. That dosen't imply that I think that Wolverine is the only impressive character in the films.

I feel that Jim Caviezel was right when he passed on the role. The only times they felt like doing anything significant character wise is in regards to his relationship with Wolverine and Jean. Again....this is only my opinion on the matter.

To you. And I'm sure the Batboards feel the same way about your posts when you go over there to criticize TDKR.

Once again...that's your opinion.

I feel that film Cyclops is. That's my point. How you feel about that does not matter to me.

Then again...that's your assumption.

"He dosen't agree with me, so he wasn't paying attention!" Please.

YOUR opinion is that she was with Scott "in part" because of his dependability.

I believe that that was the ONLY reason she was with Scott. Or, it could be interpreted that way, because their relationship was not done in a satisfying manner.

2. Double B

Double B Well-Known Member

Definitely do rewatch. It surprised me how many good little character moments the characters actually received especially Storm, whose scene with Nightcrawler alone, is more significant and telling than any of the screentime lavished on her in X3. And Rogue certainly gets better material in X2, when X3 amounts to her seeing Iceman/Kitty, deciding to get a cure, and coming back cured - which is a slap in the face to her journey.

See, I can't agree that she got better material/a better character arc when, as you say yourself, she turns catatonic. Yes, she may have got more of a chance to have some proper dramatic scenes near the start of that film, but they did very little justice to the character of Jean/Phoenix herself. She may not have got the chance to play a schizophrenic character in X2, but she certainly plays a more rounded, well written one with a proper journey.

Shadowcat was never intended as anything more than a cameo in X1 and X2, so her situation isn't comparable. They still let her down in X3, at a point where they should have been properly introducing her to the core team.

I do agree that Cyclops and Professor X, were shortchanged in X2. But I'd say the same of both in X3 too. Prof X may have got a 'spectacle moment' with Jean but it's a very lacking role IMO.

3. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/x-men-days-of-future-past-director-bryan-singer-says-he-will-be-repairing-things-that-went-wrong-in-the-brett-ratner-directed-x-men-last-stand

i wouldn't lose faith at the idea of cyclops and jean returning after Singer said this =)

it may not happen this film but who knows it sounds like a return is very very possible

4. The Batman

Just remember, Simon Kinberg and Zak Penn also said that people would be please with Cyclops' role in X3.

5. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

That was part of Fox's efforts to outright lie to fans to get them to pay to see Last Stand.

Rothman Is gone and It's not In Bryan Singer's habit to go lie to people doing Interviews.

6. The Batman

Either way, all we know is that Singer wants to see them return...dosen't mean he'll get around to bringing them back in the film.

7. summers1055

summers1055 Well-Known Member

Why is he doing this to us? It's creating all this controversy and speculation and if it all ends with no cyclops.....my excitement is going to go way way down, just let us know already lol what is it gonna take? Why all the secrecy? Tell us now!!!

8. Paper Plate

Paper Plate Member

edit

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Oh dear...I remember the 'Cyclops comes back at the end!!" farce with X3. Don't think I wanna get involved in a repeat of that.

10. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

And that Rogue would "kick ass" o.o"

11. SterlingDee

SterlingDee Well-Known Member

Definitely disagree with the Prof X statement. X3 showed us a darker side of Prof X, putting mental blocks in Jean's head without her being aware. That little development alone is far more than anything he did in X2. It actually gave Prof X a bit of edge.

12. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Charles had a pivotal/pretty decent role on X2, even if he was under Striker's control.

Charles appeared during the whole movie, while Scott dissapeared on the first act, to reappear at the end.

Different cases

13. Double B

Double B Well-Known Member

Professor X's depiction in X3 was embarrassing. I rank that scene in the lab with Wolverine was one of the worst of the entire franchise.

14. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

15. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

I thought his scenes with Storm were dreadful. He just seemed like a different person than from X1-2. It may have been Patrick giving up

16. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Well-Known Member

yeah, in some scenes Professor X came off as a bit of a prick in X3 which was totally out of character

17. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

They consciously wanted to depict Xavier with shades of grey, just like in the comics. But why the frick did they want to do it out of the blue in the trilogy when the other two movies didn't characterize him that way, and right before he died? Such a poorly written and thought out movie.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the headline on the hype's main page. But I'd prefer real confirmation dangit!!

18. DarknessOfDeath

DarknessOfDeath Rebel Scoundrel

I know...I'm just waiting too for confirmation. maybe in the next two months

19. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

His scene before he met Storm at the balcony was awful. He was teaching to his students, making jokes that Einstein wasn't a mutant. Then when the sky became dark because of Storm, he had this sudden reaction like "what the hell just happened". It was just so forced.

20. Hellion

Hellion Oppa Is Here

Unless they can pull off something interesting, I don't mind if Jean stayed dead/out of the film......but I want to see Cyke, he's my favorite X-Man.

21. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

Agreed. :up:

I can't help but feel that scene was added "after the fact." I remember sitting in the theater thinking, "Well damn, if their efforts to give Halle Berry more screen time aren't just super-obvious now!"

It was like, "Whatever the hell you're doing, DROP IT, and come roll your ass out here and see me on the balcony BECAUSE I AM HALLE BERRY, OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESS AND I NEEDSSS SOME ATTENTION, DAMN IT!!!!" :funny:

22. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

yeah, that Charles reaction was so unrealistic.

so Storm changed the weather, so what? its not like she was screaming or being attacked

it was a forced scene, definetly

23. Manic X

Manic X Well-Known Member

You guys are crazy.
    Your hate of x3 is causing you to overanalyze things.
    I like xavier in x3. Way more interesting than the other two films. Same with Cyke, despite his limited time.
    None of those scenes felt forced to me.
    Want 'forced'? Try Bobby 'coming out' in X2. Now that's forced.

24. Darthkush

Darthkush Avenger

Losing a little hope about Cyclops returning. Read about an hour ago that Marsden just signed on for Anchorman 2 which starts shooting in March. Doesn't dofp start in April? If he's in it, i'm now betting it'll just be at the end.

25. cheungcheung

cheungcheung Well-Known Member

him showing up at the end is better than him not showing up at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.