Justice League Rumor: Bale may be back as Batman in JL - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the possibilities.

Bale signs on for a couple of JL movies. Then you have JGL as Nightwing in 1 or 2 spinoff films. To promote alongside. Bringing JGL back, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman is a serious win.

Bale's back for 1 film, then Blake proves himself as Batman and joins the JL. Opening the door for potential successful Batman films. That's what WB wants.

If Bale doesn't come back, then the Nolanverse is shut and we see a rebooted Batman in JL, with a new film series in 2017. WB want that too. But they want Bale back to help with the success of JL.

Whatever the future, I'm excited :D

Well as long as wb thinks the same way you do. Hopefully they do!

Regarding Jgl solo movies though, do you think wb would rather have movies about nightwing or Batman, the money making superhero?

Lastly, of your 3 scenarios, which would you like to see happen personally?

Last edited:
Well as long as wb thinks the same way you do. Hopefully they do!

Regarding Jgl solo movies though, do you think wb would rather have movies about nightwing or Batman, the money making superhero?

Lastly, of your 3 scenarios, which would you like to see happen personally?
Lets hope :D

They're definitely going to want more of Batman. I imagine them hoping that Bale will sign onto more JL films. But of course, it's riding on what Nolan, Synder and the rest of them can muster up.

If it happens, the TDKU will continue for a longer time. So we may just get spin offs. Nightwing for JGL or Catwoman for Hathaway. They'll bring in more interest and money. Which is obviously great for WB.

Out of them. Personally I would love a reboot. But I'm excited if those are the other possibilities for DC movies.

I should clarify, if they are going to have Blake solo films, do you think theyd make him nightwing or Batman the moneymaker? (even if Bale is already Bats in the JL)

Bruce in the league / nightwing solo films

Vs
Bruce in the league / Jgl Bats solo films

Last edited:
It depends.

Bale coming back as Batman in JL would be huge.
But if Batman is in those movies, then I wouldn't expect overkill from WB

A Nightwing spinoff will be successful. They're bringing back Gotham, JGL. Getting hold of Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman would secure major points to ensure success in familiarity. Which is one of the reasons why they want Bale back with the Nolanverse.

That and promoting a popular Batman villain to battle Blake. It's definitely going to be a success. Risky if Batman is not in the title of course. But for those other reasons backing it up, it could turn into a very successful spin off franchise.

I see controversy however if Bale doesn't return as Batman for more films and it's given to JGL. Very successful, but controversial.

At this point I suspect a Blake Batman is a non starter. They want Bale . I think they would have just gone with JGL back when they were considering him if they really thought he would give them the type of box office they want. As far as solo films go, I suspect WB would be willing to forgo them if they could get Bale back for team ups, then reboot later .

But a Nightwing franchise can still be on the table. Just as much as a WW and Flash spin offs.

JGL is picky these days. Yes, I know he's got a ton of movies coming out every year, but look at who's directing/writing them lately.

Rian Johnson, himself lol, Nolan, Spielberg, Seth Rogen, Robert Rodriguez, David Koepp (who wrote Spielberg's Jurassic Park, DePalma's Carlito's Way, Fincher's Panic Room).

The guy has choices now and he even said it, he'll only do something related to JL or a Blake spin-off if the script is already written and he reads it and loves it and he really digs the choice in director.

He is this character, nobody else will be. So this thing will never take off until they go through all the steps to please JGL. And if he says no, 1 more script is thrown on the shelf. It's going to be a long process, and I can't see it happening unless the Nolan bros themselves tell JGL ahead of time that they have an idea. That's the only time he'll be game from the start.

For some reason I can't see that happening. Even though I would love to see it.

It's true, they want Bale.

And Bale is unlikely to do more solo Bat films...so we would be buggered lol

I feel JGL wouldn't turn down a chance to work with Nolan again. And a Nightwing franchise with him as the main star is too massive to turn down. So we can never really say never.

I should clarify, if they are going to have Blake solo films, do you think theyd make him nightwing or Batman the moneymaker? (even if Bale is already Bats in the JL)

If they get Bale as Batman, then I doubt they'll make JGL Batman as well.

Revenue will skyrocket if Bale is Batman again, which is what WB are after.

But up to now, they still want solo Batman films. But if they went ahead and did a separate franchise, it will undoubtedly be unsuccessful.

So the remedy will be to promote the more successful thing, the Nolanverse.

I actually believe the moneymaker will come in the shape of a Nightwing spin off.

Bale as Batman and JGL as another Batman will likely cause harm, in the form of overkill. No worse than a separate Batman franchise mind you.

They're much safer in doing Nightwing than making JGL Batman.

If Nolan helped Batman become the big moneymaker, and contributed to MOS and then JL...Nightwing from his Bat franchise is easy Money for WB.

Because the moneymaker is Nolan...not Batman.

Last edited:
Im with Rodrigo on this. You have to think of general audiences.

They mainly just know Robin. Not his identity. At this point the people who have seen (or remember) the details of TDKT, they now think JGL is Robin. To them it probably means that he's the Robin but Nolan-ized. The robin of the every past comic/tv series/movie.

So if Bale is back in JL (various parts of the world) then it will be simple to have JGL in Gotham as Robin (really as Nightwing) in his own movie. Instead of 2 Batmans.

You also don't want to burn out the audience on Batman for when they want to reboot the character as a younger Bruce with a new Alfred, Gordon, etc.

Im with Rodrigo on this. You have to think of general audiences.

They mainly just know Robin. Not his identity. At this point the people who have seen (or remember) the details of TDKT, they now think JGL is Robin. To them it probably means that he's the Robin but Nolan-ized. The robin of the every past comic/tv series/movie.

So if Bale is back in JL (various parts of the world) then it will be simple to have JGL in Gotham as Robin (really as Nightwing) in his own movie. Instead of 2 Batmans.

You also don't want to burn out the audience on Batman for when they want to reboot the character as a younger Bruce with a new Alfred, Gordon, etc.

I thought that people saw it as Robin becoming Batman at the end...

I don't think people thought that a guy named Robin stepped into the cave to become Robin. Nor would they think he becomes Nightwing considering they don't know what that is.

Bruce wasn't planning on coming back; It would be weird if Blake left Gotham without Batman, when it was clearly Bruce's intention for Blake to become Batman.
If JGL becomes Nightwing, I still thinks it makes more sense for Blake to do so only after being Batman.
If Bruce takes the mantle back for JL, only then should Blake upgrade to Nightwing.

Last edited:
Just thought I'll drop my 2 cents on continuation of the Nolanverse.

Assuming this complete nerdgasm comes to pass: Nolan sheperding, Bale's Batman forming the Justice League with Cavill's Supes, JGL signing on for spinoffs, etc...

I think whether JGL chooses to go by Nightwing or Batman is merely a semantic difference. The moniker 'Dark Knight' still applies.

I think they could name the movie 'The Dark Knight Reborn' or something to that effect, and the Blake character could use similar imagery as his predecessor did and possibly just clarify that he goes by Nightwing.

So, WB gets to clearly and strongly associate with the Dark Knight franchise, while estabilishing the Blake character as Nightwing.

Last edited:
Then they would set the Blake movie after Batman is in JL.

Assuming this complete nerdgasm comes to pass: Nolan sheperding, Bale's Batman forming the Justice League with Cavill's Supes, JGL signing on for spinoffs, etc...

I think whether JGL chooses to go by Nightwing or Batman is merely a semantic difference. The moniker 'Dark Knight' still applies.

I think they could names the move 'The Dark Knight Reborn' and the Blake character could use similar imagery as his predecessor did and possibly just clarify that he goes by Nightwing.

So, WB gets to clearly and strongly associate with the Dark Knight franchise, while estabilishing the Blake character as Nightwing.

That's an interesting angle actually.

I think they could name the movie 'The Dark Knight Reborn' or something to that effect, and the Blake character could use similar imagery as his predecessor did and possibly just clarify that he goes by Nightwing.

I could only see them having Nightwing if they were already doing a Batman solo movie with Bruce. But I don't see WB forgoing the opportunity to make Batman movies by making only Nightwing movies. I think WB would see that as money down the drain. No new Batmobile, bat signals, etc, but instead only Nightwing stuff? A relatively unknown superhero to replace one of the most iconic superheroes of all time?

Plus, would you guys really rather wait every four years for a Nightwing movie over a Batman movie? Cmonnnnn. Nightwing vs Riddler, or Batman vs Riddler?

Last edited:
If they get Bale as Batman, then I doubt they'll make JGL Batman as well.

Revenue will skyrocket if Bale is Batman again, which is what WB are after.

But up to now, they still want solo Batman films. But if they went ahead and did a separate franchise, it will undoubtedly be unsuccessful.

So the remedy will be to promote the more successful thing, the Nolanverse.

I actually believe the moneymaker will come in the shape of a Nightwing spin off.

Bale as Batman and JGL as another Batman will likely cause harm, in the form of overkill. No worse than a separate Batman franchise mind you.

They're much safer in doing Nightwing than making JGL Batman.

If Nolan helped Batman become the big moneymaker, and contributed to MOS and then JL...Nightwing from his Bat franchise is easy Money for WB.

Because the moneymaker is Nolan...not Batman.

Even though he is a part of the Batman family, Nightwing is not really that popular a character. You are better off rebooting a Bruce Wayne-Batman than having a Nightwing solo film. That is what most people want to see. I also seriously doubt that Joseph Gordon Levitt will be seen on film in the lead role as Batman.

Last edited:

So, the argument in favor of a Nightwing spin-off movie is that it is what people are eagerly awaiting to see..

Even if -

* Bale is not in that

* Nolan is not involved,

* JGL is not interested.

* Bruce Wayne is not shown as Batman.

Just because TDKR had a character who was named as "Robin" and he presumably took the mantle of Gotham's new vigilante.

Does not sound convincing.

A Nightwing franchise with Deathstroke as the villain and Barbara Gordon as the love interest, and somehow making Blake's character Dick Grayson would make me extremely happy.

I DON'T want to see Blake's Nightwing facing off against Riddler or Mr. Freeze or anything like that, that'd be a disservice to those villains, save those characters for a Bruce bat movie. Deathstroke is the way to go.

I thought that people saw it as Robin becoming Batman at the end...

I don't think people thought that a guy named Robin stepped into the cave to become Robin. Nor would they think he becomes Nightwing considering they don't know what that is.

Bruce wasn't planning on coming back; It would be weird if Blake left Gotham without Batman, when it was clearly Bruce's intention for Blake to become Batman.
If JGL becomes Nightwing, I still thinks it makes more sense for Blake to do so only after being Batman.
If Bruce takes the mantle back for JL, only then should Blake upgrade to Nightwing.
I've spoken to many ppl who saw it that he was now his own protector, whether that be Robin or something else. I think as long as he takes the mantle, he can be anybody that we want.

For some reason I don't think they'll call him Nightwing in this. I think he'll be like Selina, where he doesn't have a nickname or anything like that. He'll be Nightwing without saying it, just like Selina was Catwoman without having to say it.

I don't know how going from batman to nightwing would be an "upgrade".

Absolutely!

A Nightwing franchise with Deathstroke as the villain and Barbara Gordon as the love interest, and somehow making Blake's character Dick Grayson would make me extremely happy.

I DON'T want to see Blake's Nightwing facing off against Riddler or Mr. Freeze or anything like that, that'd be a disservice to those villains, save those characters for a Bruce bat movie. Deathstroke is the way to go.
It would be stupid from a business standpoint not to have someone like Riddler to market this movie even more. Especially since he fits the detective story that could take place with Blake.

But you may be right, for the better of the villains like Riddler, Penguin, Freeze, Strange, Black Mask, etc. Im thinking about it now and I don't see WB going through with them. They'll want to keep em' for the Bruce Wayne/Batman reboot which will be more open to any kind of villain from the rogues gallery. They'll probably kick things off with Riddler then move into Joker/Harley, Freeze, Penguin and some monsters.

So it's another reason why I cant see a JGL spin-off happening. You can use Deathstroke, but a lot of fans would be disappointed, looking at it like some missed opportunity for Nygma or Cobblepot who have yet to make appearances in Nolan's world.

You need Oldman back for a Nightwing franchise. Unless Gordon retires or something, but then you alienate yourself further from the trilogy. The villains like Freeze and Riddler are doable. Maybe re-imagined a bit so they aren't so heavily tied at the hip with Batman.

Love interests, Barbara is a child during the trilogy. Gordon had an older son. The daughter was even younger in TDK. She'd be a teenager, like 13-14 during TDKR. You'd have to go with the separate character of Dick Grayson down the road, if Bruce ever officially retires and adopts a young boy down the road.

I think Nightwing should just be its own franchise. Brand new, more obscure villains. Freeze works. Riddler works. Maybe even Poison Ivy. But don't just focus on classic villains. Penguin can be used for the Catwoman spinoff.

Last edited:
Even though he is a part of the Batman family, Nightwing is not really that popular a character. You are better off rebooting a Bruce Wayne-Batman than having a Nightwing solo film. That is what most people want to see. I also seriously doubt that Joseph Gordon Levitt will be seen on film in the lead role as Batman.
I

So, the argument in favor of a Nightwing spin-off movie is that it is what people are eagerly awaiting to see..

Even if -

* Bale is not in that

* Nolan is not involved,

* JGL is not interested.

* Bruce Wayne is not shown as Batman.

Just because TDKR had a character who was named as "Robin" and he presumably took the mantle of Gotham's new vigilante.

Does not sound convincing.
WB want Bale back for JL.
But something tells he won't sign up for anymore solo Batman films.
WB still want their Batman films.
It's foolish to have a rebooted franchise alongside the Nolanverse.

So the best thing to do in all of it is make something as close as to Batman as you can, promoting the Nolanverse as it continues to stay open longer.

If JGL and Nolan got involved for one or even 2 Nightwing films then great. WB get potential 800min dollar movies with Nolan and the Batman brand slapped alongside Nightwing. Promoting a popular Batman villain within the movie.

It has the potential. Even if Nightwing is not a popular character enough, using him in the context of those promotions will generate interest.

JGL
Nolan
The Nolanverse
Gary Oldman
Riddler

It has the potential. It's things that are WB are after. With those things it's a win.

And there's nothing suggesting it wouldn't be done anymore than saying it won't and people aren't interested. It's worth a look at by all means.

Last edited:
Nolan oversees all DC films, including a potential Nightwing spinoff. Like said above:

Bale's Bruce Wayne in Justice League (throw enough money at him with a good script and he will do it)
Bruce returns to retirement after JL
Have a John Blake pair of films in Gotham
Since you're changing Batman, create an entirely new cast of characters (meaning new commissioner, new assistant for Blake, potentially an Oracle role, etc etc)

I have more ideas, i just can't focus on my lunch break. I'll finish up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"