• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Scariest films you've seen?

halloween - the original
that piano music still gives me chills

I LOVE horror, but very few horror movies actually "scare" me. As a kid, Child's Play terrified me because I had a "My Buddy" doll that I adored. Unfortunately it looked exactly like Chucky. After that, nothing really scared me until I saw Paranormal Activity. That **** got me pretty good.

However, there are tons of horror movies that I find unsettling, which I think is on a different level.

I know it was a miniseries, but the original Salem's Lot with David Soul and James Mason.

You have to wonder why Tobe Hooper, the director, didn't get much more high profile horror films. He did not only the original Salem's Lot, but Poltergeist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Paperhouse
Carnival of Souls (original)
Dementia 13

its extremely rare a horror movie leaves me scared or unsettled. but THE BROOD did the trick my first time seeing it. such an amazing horror film, and grossly overlooked.

The Exorcist is still first on my list.

Others include:
The Strangers
Halloween
The Paranormal Activity movies
The original Friday the 13ths

The Prince Of Darkness. That ending and the dream sequences stick with me to this day.

1) The Exorcist really messed me up first seen it.
2) The Shining did as well

The Ring....good, but more moody than scary.

The Omen really made me uncomfortable...not scary, but all the imagery and messages they were dealing with is unsettling. Most uncomfortable.

I just saw that Winkie's scene of Mullholland Drive in youtube...and the build up was scarier than the reveal. I probably need to have seen the movie to feel scared.

Recently saw Rosemary's Baby and it creeped the hell out of me.

The August Underground movies messed my **** up pretty hard. Very unsettling.

The Blair Witch Project really freaked me out when I first saw it, all those faux documentory's and such. I'm still terrified of getting lost in the woods today.

The Human Centipede
Ringu 1998 Japanese
Janghwa, Hongryeon 2003 (A Tale of Two Sisters) Korean

The only movie that I've seen that I can generally think that scared me was Alien.

Why? The damn vent scene :(

The only movie that I've seen that I can generally think that scared me was Alien.

Why? The damn vent scene :(

I laughed. That scene ruined the movie for me for nearly two years. It looked like a prankster jumping out at a buddy going BOOGEDY BOOGEDY.

That scene in Alien is all about the build up. When you first watch it the tension just cranks and cranks and cranks, the characters are saying it's right there, but it's no where to be seen. Then... AHHHHH! lol

Same with the scene in Mulholland Drive. It's all about the build up. Plus it's more of a psychological thing. Put yourself in that guys shoes, imagine you have this horrible nightmare, then it actually comes true in real life.

Like with most of David Lynch's movies it's the blur between reality and the dream world that i find creepy and unsettling. Where stuff happens that is just really weird and doesn't make sense. It's like, the fear of the unknown and all that.

The Grudge is the most terrifying movie I've ever seen. I actually had nightmares about it! :csad:

One that springs to mind for me is Lynch's Inland Empire. I don't really know why either. Nothing that scary actually happens in the film. But there is just something really, really unnerving and creepy about it. If you've seen it you must know what I mean.

Yeah and that's parts why I love his films, he's a master at creating an uncomfortable atmosphere, Inland Empire makes one marveled at Lynch's crazy imagination but also outright think, what the ****? But one should just sit back and enjoy the ride, it made me emotionally drained because you go through so many feelings throughout it.

The guy has just got a seriously messed up mind, to come up with the stuff he does. Pure nightmare fuel.

That scene in Alien is all about the build up. When you first watch it the tension just cranks and cranks and cranks, the characters are saying it's right there, but it's no where to be seen. Then... AHHHHH! lol

Exactly :) Funny story, when that part happened, my friend literally crushed his can of Coke in his hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"