The Dark Knight Rises Scenes that let you down

Except that she has always been the main love interest for Batman.
Except that's not true.

I just knew you would respond to my post though.

Last edited:
If I was biased shipper of fictional romances, yeah, maybe I could see it that way. But I'm not. And I don't.
So much THIS.

So much word to all of your posts. I have nothing left to say. You said it.

Last edited:
Irrespective of whether Selina is his main love interest historically, in the context of Nolan's trilogy, once he'd decided that Bruce and Selina were going to end up together, a great deal of consideration should have been made to fully flesh out their relationship and make it believable. Although Bale and Hathaway's chemistry was great, the writing didn't back it up.

^ Nolan just sucks at writing romance.

I don't even want to list the scenes. You know them well. All that were butchered.

Irrespective of whether Selina is his main love interest historically, in the context of Nolan's trilogy, once he'd decided that Bruce and Selina were going to end up together, a great deal of consideration should have been made to fully flesh out their relationship and make it believable. Although Bale and Hathaway's chemistry was great, the writing didn't back it up.

And honestly...it just needed one more scene. Something to tie them together and flesh out their romance/relationship beyond "I'm attracted to you".

-The overall rushed feeling throughout the entire film. Had it not been for the whole "ticking time bomb" narrative, I wouldn't have known months had passed. This was terrible in the Pit scenes with Bruce's broken back. I felt like had I not already known Bane's story from the comics, I never would've known he actually Broke the Bat.

-Talia, and everything about her. She didn't really feel like she had the dueling dynamic of hating and loving Bruce at once. She was just kinda reduced to a revenge-seeking woman.

-Crane. Seriously. What a way to shoe-horn in a bad guy. The whole Judge/Jury/Executioner role he was playing would've fit Two-Face a heck of a lot better.

-And, hate me if you must, I was desperately let down that they reduced Ra's al Ghul to a mere hallucination. I would've jumped out of my own skin if Josh Pence or Liam Neeson was shown in present day in some way.

Beyond that, I loved the film. Like, I was almost moved to tears in parts. It just solidified my belief that Chris Nolan is a certifiable genius.

And honestly...it just needed one more scene. Something to tie them together and flesh out their romance/relationship beyond "I'm attracted to you".

That would have been nice, but what could he have cut out instead?

Nolan probably didn't want a rehash of Batman Returns (since that pretty much cemented batcat in the mainstream consciousness) so he just fast forwarded that relationship to the ending. He was dropping a lot of hints along the way though -- pearls, my wife, etc.

As for Miranda, that one night stand seemed more like a product of loneliness+gratitude. Didn't really seem like they had any real chemistry because they're so alike. She was kind of bland up to her reveal.

I pretty much loved the first part of the film -- the Selina scenes, siege of the Gotham Stock Exchange and Batman's first appearance. The second part with Bruce climbing out of the pit was also great. However, the nuke was a letdown. Why didn't they go with the original rumor of an earthquake machine. Something a bit different from your generic bomb. And the part of chasing that nuke all around town after the Talia reveal was kind of stupid. I can't believe they got to do all that (chase+hanging around waiting for Marion to die+kiss+fly) in 11 minutes.

I liked Catwoman shooting down Bane. I think I saw his head roll off somewhere. Ironic that Batman is saved by something he's so adamant in not using. Wonder if that reflects Nolan's stand on that issue.

-The overall rushed feeling throughout the entire film. Had it not been for the whole "ticking time bomb" narrative, I wouldn't have known months had passed. This was terrible in the Pit scenes with Bruce's broken back. I felt like had I not already known Bane's story from the comics, I never would've known he actually Broke the Bat.

-Talia, and everything about her. She didn't really feel like she had the dueling dynamic of hating and loving Bruce at once. She was just kinda reduced to a revenge-seeking woman.

-Crane. Seriously. What a way to shoe-horn in a bad guy. The whole Judge/Jury/Executioner role he was playing would've fit Two-Face a heck of a lot better.

-And, hate me if you must, I was desperately let down that they reduced Ra's al Ghul to a mere hallucination. I would've jumped out of my own skin if Josh Pence or Liam Neeson was shown in present day in some way.

Beyond that, I loved the film. Like, I was almost moved to tears in parts. It just solidified my belief that Chris Nolan is a certifiable genius.
That would have been nice. :yay:

Hmm, I've seen the film 3 times now, Bane's head doesn't roll off.

Irrespective?

Pretty much any of their existing scenes could have been altered, I'd say it would need to be the one in her apartment. Less "My powerful friend" stuff, Dagget, Foley...

There's a lot of scenes in TDKR (especially in the middle) that could be cut in favor of other stuff.

To be honest I was let down by the whole movie except the first Batman V. Bane fight.
There are so many things I didnt like about the story. As I've said in other threads, I wish we would have gotten more freaks. One of the main points of TDK was escalation. Not just that Batman had escalated the crimes of Gothams criminals. But that since he decided to put on a mask and costume that Joker was just the first of many "Freaks" Bane is not a freak. He is a mercinary. Tatila is also not a freak. I just dont see how anyone can say the trilogy is complete when awesome freaks like Penguin and Riddler never existed.
The guy who played Bane did a fine job with what he was given. But to me Bane is a boring character and Tateila is even more boring. Especially how she was written.

Pretty much any of their existing scenes could have been altered, I'd say it would need to be the one in her apartment. Less "My powerful friend" stuff, Dagget, Foley...

I loved Daggett but I can live without Foley. I wonder if the original 400 page script had more Bruce/Selina

I loved Daggett but I can live without Foley. I wonder if the original 400 page script had more Bruce/Selina

It probably has more Blake, Foley, and Daggett. :o

Such a charismatic character like Bane should not have beeb taken out like that. It should have some more emotional umph there.

Someone I saw the movie with afterwards said they were p'ed off that nobody just shot Bane during the movie. And when Catwoman did so they were like, there you go, that's all it took, any why wasn't it done sooner? :funny:

Definitely Crane. How could he not have his mask? And NO fear gas? Not cool.

And Talia, of course. "OMG, they just revealed Talia!" Followed shortly by, "OMG....they....JUST....revealed Talia?"

Anyway I was let down by the fact that the chalk Batman symbols were hardly in the film at all, the score's album cover and the virals/scavenger hunt made it seem like they'd be more prominent in the film. But they're very forgettable. Plus I remember seeing a behind the scenes photo of Nolan drawing a bunch of the bat chalk symbols on a wall himself, and that shot was nowhere in the film.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"