Season 6, Episode 3 "Oathbreaker" Discussion Thread

I'm going to laugh when it turns out Osha, Rickon and Smalljon worked with the Wildlings and this is all a ruse :o

I'm in the Stannis camp.

For me, its that he's a tried and tested battle commander, and is generally the kind of guy I'd want in charge. Rennly was a nice guy, but at the end of the day I'd want a ruler that's competent and dedicated to serving his people over someone whose best quality is that everyone likes them.

Really, see Stannis's scenes from season three - the religion's more a tool for him, otherwise he wouldn't have been hesitant to sacrifice Gendry and then later, Shireen.

But that's the thing, he wasn't. He was vainglorious and power hungry in the books, and only got through life by being superficially charming and having everything handed to him. He casually jokes about how Shireen's a gargoyle and how he wouldn't want Loras to mutilate Stannis' corpse too much "for my mother's sake." Not to mention that he was willing to usurp his brother's children before he even realised they weren't actually Robert's. The guy was a massive prick.

Renly never burned anyone alive or had them murdered by a shadow demon.:o

Renly was a traitor, no different from Daemon Blackfyre. Traitor's get executed. That's the law that has been laid down in Westeros for hundreds of years. Asthetically you might not like the shadow demon, but it's not any more "evil" than Ned Stark beheading someone with Ice.

Ice..... the sword that wasn't in this episode :cmad:

tumblr_o6w77a97fK1rri5k6o1_400.gif

They missed a golden opportunity to let Jon Snow hang dong tonight and don't think I won't continue to hold that against the show. :o

Be grateful they didn't go through with their planned gag of showing Theon's....area. That's something I don't think anyone needs to see...

Last edited:
Renly was a traitor, no different from Daemon Blackfyre. Traitor's get executed. That's the law that has been laid down in Westeros for hundreds of years. Asthetically you might not like the shadow demon, but it's not any more "evil" than Ned Stark beheading someone with Ice.

Robert and Stannis were traitors as well. Funny how neither of them thought they should be stabbed in the back by a shadow demon for justice's sake. I guess the law and this whole justice thing only applies to certain people at certain times.

Be grateful they didn't go through with their planned gag of showing Theon's....area. That's something I don't think anyone needs to see...

0009qd1z.gif

Robert and Stannis were traitors as well. Funny how neither of them thought they should be stabbed in the back by a shadow demon for justice's sake. I guess the law and this whole justice thing only applies to certain people at certain times.

Stannis explains this. He outright tells Davos that he struggled with the decision to rebel against Aerys and calls it the hardest decision he's ever made, but points out that the Laws of Blood are older than the Laws of Men; the younger brother does his duty to the elder brother or their father. Stannis did that, even though it meant he starved for a whole year eating rats and boot leather (and giving Renly most of his portion to keep the boy alive) and then immediately being sent off to fight a naval battle whilst still emmaciated. It's the same with the Starks, Benjen stayed at Winterfell and held down the North for his brother, despite being closer to Lyanna and more hungry for revenge, because his elder brother commanded it.

Another boring episode, but it had an interesting theme of using power, righteousness and just cause.

Davos, a man who has been turned into a cruel monster i'd say has put himself in the position where he has resurrected a person for the sole person of having to "do the ****" for a just cause. Man, to think this was a reasonable and honorable rogue, has been turned into a monster who can't even let the dead rest in peace.

Then in Mereen, we have Varys playing the role of America, bribing his way to get to know his enemies, so he can conquer them all for a foreign queen that noone wants, again for just and righteous reasons.

Lastly we have the King's Landing, with the Lannisters just being the spoiled brats who want their own way.

Interesting themes to say the least.

I'm going to laugh when it turns out Osha, Rickon and Smalljon worked with the Wildlings and this is all a ruse :o

That'd be sweet, but I think you're giving D&D too much credit.

But man would this be awesome.

H
On the one hand Ned was his friend so I understand why Howland did it, and even the greatest soldiers can get taken out in some BS ways, but it just didn't sit well with me. Especially Ned immediately cutting Dayne down like that. Dayne deserved more respect than that regardless which side he was on. Would an older Ned have been ok with Howland stabbing a person in the back, and then cut him down like that?

Remember, that Ned does something so awesome for the Daynes that they respect and love the Starks, even though he lets Arthur Dayne's corpse rot (he doesn't bring the bones back).

But yeah Ned does something so awesome that Edric's nickname is Ned, and you know what awesome thing he did?

Major book spoilers:
[BLACKOUT]Take care of Ashara Dayne's son, Jon.[/BLACKOUT]

Oh man, [blackout]poor Shaggydog.[/blackout]

Not a bad episode however. So that was Arthur Dayne that Ned and Howland Reed were battling. I'm really starting to wonder about Jon's true mother now, whether it be [blackout]Ashara Dayne or Lyanna, should he really be the child of she and Rhaegar.[/blackout]

But poor Shaggydog though, unless they made a fake Direwolf head to fool Ramsay. ;)

Arthur Dayne was hardcore!

The physically impaired Stark kids continued their Jedi training.

I liked Umber's totally lack of respect towards Ramsay.Straight talking northerner.

Tommen is the only good Lannister left and he is going to die some horrible fate.

Sam ought to know sending Gilly to his families place will not end well. Desperate times I guess.

in the 'inside the episode' they mentioned after all that Ned has seen... the mad kings actions etc... he was willing to give up his honor for what he thought was more important given the circumstances... so i feel Howland had the same mindset... do whatever it takes.

as for respecting Dayne... Dayne didn't give much reason to... he wouldn't tell Ned what was going on... For all Ned knew, Lyanna was being raped or tortured or something... Dayne just put on the helmet ready to go...

thats what bothered me... you'd think there would be a bit more discussion before straight up fighting.

I think it also plays into just how weary Ned is by this point of the war. He's crossed pretty much the entire kingdom/continent of Westeros, won multiple battles, gone from middle child with middling prospects to a married Lord Paramount, seen his best friend smile at red pulpy matter that used to be Aerys's grandchildren, and had to put up with Jaimie Lannister lounging on the thrown of the king he just betrayed. And after all that, he comes to this hot, dry, Dornish landscape, draws within an acre of his sister (who for all he knows may be dead), and finds two "good" men opposing him.

He may respect Dayne and his companion, but gosh darn it, he just wants the war over and to see his sister safe again, and these two die-hards are following the commands of a dead prince who destroyed his own dynasty!

And while further dialogue may have helped convey that, I think more clear cut context from Bran and Brynden, it would have worked just as well.

Still a great fight, though.

This episode pretty much confirmed that it was Emilia Clarke who complained about the nudity. Which is hilarious, because now every time they shot around it, it is beyond obvious and thus draws attention to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"