Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's Untitled The New Jedi Order Film (Post-TROS, Rey Returns)

I wonder if it will be the same. The prequels, especially TPM, seemed to be more tailored for youngsters. The low end age for the ST feels slightly higher where those of that age watching might already be contributing to the online discussions on it - plus the online space is much more far-reaching than when TPM launched where it would be more likely a very young person could be less aware of the wider general reception beyond what they and their friends thought of the film.

I wonder if it will be the same. The prequels, especially TPM, seemed to be more tailored for youngsters. The low end age for the ST feels slightly higher where those of that age watching might already be contributing to the online discussions on it - plus the online space is much more far-reaching than when TPM launched where it would be more likely a very young person could be less aware of the wider general reception beyond what they and their friends thought of the film.

Yeah.

I think alot of the people who the ST films were targeted to have already been discussing the film and disagreeing with those fans who didn't like it , hence, the divided fanbase.

The ST already has alot of defenders , it's just that ,there is an equally strong, and very vocal, group of fans who dislike those films .

I could imagine that the positive view of the ST, is more likely to increase as the very young fans engage in the analysis over these films, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the discourse over these films still have a level of polarization to them .

The difference from the debates today ,and the potential debates of the future, is that it may be younger fans, of the same generation ,debating the TFOA and TROS vs TLJ .

In other words, J.J. Abrams choices verses Rian Johnson's choices.

These are two pretty different directors, writers , and creators, and I don't see that being lost even on the next generation of fans.
So , I think it's inevitable they'll be some level of disagreement about those films.

In that respect , I think the ST will remain controversial ,to an extent , but the debates may not have the same temperature, and baggage to them ,that the debates in SW Fandom have now.

I don't me to derail this thread, but this is the funniest and most pathetic I've read this week.

There's a lot of ridiculous here, but I think the dumbest thing is "Disney influence gone", as if the head of Lucasfilm having to answer to Disney is a choice and you could just snap your fingers and make that go bye bye lol.

Just goes to show the level of maturity in that dude's worldview and the people who buy into it.

I love Lucas as much as anyone btw. There is still a part of me that wishes he never sold it and LFL was still an independent company. But what's done is done. George took that money and ran.

Man, it is hilarious when you see the full post.

The stuff with his fanfilm really, really is sticking with him, lol.

Also lol at how people are triggered by "The Force is female" shirts.

He's gone off the deep end. Scroll through his twitter feed. The guy has totally lost it.

Oh my god, his ramblings are legit bonkers. Grogu is the spy? Grogu gets brainwashed? :pal:

Also, him having T-shirt merch that says “The Force is Testosterone”, and him wishing Gina Carano a happy birthday. You know, the one who was kicked off Star Wars for comparing anti-maskers/anti-mandaters/anti-Vaxxers to Jews suffering in the Holocaust? :barf:

What a terrible, horrible, sad, confused contradiction of a human being.

I don't me to derail this thread, but this is the funniest and most pathetic I've read this week.

That was a terrible read. A deep fake trilogy? Ugh... Keep it. For every decent idea, he had three unbelievably stupid ones.

So, do we know whether Fioni has any involvement with the creative process for this film? Unless they find a capable person to map out this film, I feel like we're just going to get a redux of the uninspired ST films.

The funny thing about this is that I really do like Daisy Ridley and what she brings to the character. I can't say the same about "Rey Skywalker". I have yet to become emotionally invested in her character's journey or see her as a worthy successor to the Jedi Order.

He's gone off the deep end. Scroll through his twitter feed. The guy has totally lost it.

Long ago, but recently his takes get worse and worse.
How one can fumble the bag so hard, is beyond me.
He could have been THE Star Wars content creator, but the "success" of his fan film etc got to him.
One of those people that cant handle some sort of fame without getting arrogant.

Long ago, but recently his takes get worse and worse.
How one can fumble the bag so hard, is beyond me.
He could have been THE Star Wars content creator, but the "success" of his fan film etc got to him.
One of those people that cant handle some sort of fame without getting arrogant.

He’s like that spoiled kid that, when he gets the thing he wanted for Christmas, cries for joy (Luke Skywalker showing up in Mando, season two finale), and when he doesn’t get it, ugly cries, whines and yells with his scrunched up, ugly manbaby face, futilely rolling on the floor and throwing his arms around, at the annoyance of others, like it will make any difference.

Also, reading rumors about what Damon Lindelöf’s version of this film would’ve been, with an elderly Rey, probably played by Helen Mirren, training two young Jedi sixty years later, I’m kind of glad we aren’t getting that. Skipping that far into the timeline and having another actress that isn’t Daisy Ridley playing the character? No thanks.

I loved his Watchmen series and think he’s a great writer/Director, but that would’ve been a terrible idea and direction to go in. No wonder they decided to ditch that.

Sounds like filming may be starting for this in April. Casting news may be coming.

And the movie actually may be happening.

Very curious what direction they take with this movie.

From a business perspective, the most paramount thing would be to make sure that people leave the film with Rey's popularity as an "asset"/character is reinforced/repackaged/relaunched - and Finn as well, if they can get Boyega back - and preferably relaunch the era for Star Wars as well, likely with some clarity about who's who and what's what, which were all u for debate in the ST.

Those two characters were massive hits with TFA, then became considerably less popular from TLJ onwards under LFL's watch - which I'm convinced was somewhat intentional with Finn, as they wanted Kylo as the male lead instead, and unintentionally but still conclusively with Rey, since they saw her mostly as only useful for telling Kylo's story. They followed up TFA with a film that sort of intentionally stripped Finn of much of his appeal, and accidentally sort of "stole" Rey's second film in a way that severly hampered her... then panicked when they realized Kylo was supposed to be the Big Bad of the next film when they wanted him to be a/the main hero of its ending. TROS was effectively a film of comprise between incompatible priorities in a desolated narrative that TLJ left behind, and I'd bet that LFL didn't like Finn getting the Force or Ben not saying anything, while probably still only really caring about Kylo becoming Ben and getting kissed by Rey.

Now that Kylo/Ben is dead, I can't help but think that even LFL realized they personally weren't interested in the other characters, and maybe even that they don't understand where these characters got fans from during TFA's release.

There's a few things you could do right off the bat to make Rey and others more palpable without *too much* rocking the boat:

- Making her the "Champion" of a Jedi Order made up of hitherto unknown surviving students of Luke, other force group members converted to Jedi ways, and maybe even other Purge survivors (Ahsoka, Cal, Ezra, etc.), instead of just making her a Master "taking Luke's place"; Rey's pre-eminence could be maintained but Luke fans could be placated and promised future stories with a happier ending for him set in the past.

- Maybe having her react more genuinely to the events of the ST when they get brought up, like reacting to her Dyad bond with Kylo as a trauma victim would, pulling a "Let's meta-textually analyze why her relationship with Kylo was actually toxic and anti-agency and make character drama out of it" kind of thing.

- Give Finn some time and story worth his time, especially since you can arguably still exploit his own Jedi journey without the "taint" of the ST's disputes now.

- Simply create a great villain capable of hype themselves.

There's also crazier stuff you could do that would be much more controversial and extremely risky (creating a child of Kylo to continue the family line, having Rey and Finn become romantically involved and making that "Okay," revisiting Rey's parentage *again.*)

This really is going to be another no win scenario for them.

They're taking what many would argue is at best a controversial character and at worst an unlikable over-powered character, and trying again to relaunch Star Wars and build a brand around her. Even her name comes with controversy. What do people even call her? Rey Skywalker, or Rey Palpatine. That alone is going to cause the fan base to start screaming, unless maybe you retcon that too during a search of her self discovery.

I think you abandon all her side characters from the ST then start her on a journey to understand what it means to be force sensitive. Have her try to find or understand the Jedi, Sith, Nightsisters (yeah I know Ahsoka), etc.. Another corrupt Empire, Republic, Order isn't going to further the story. This should be a period of re-building. What concerns me though is this film is supposed to be set 15 years after and I don't think that helps them this time. We won't get to see Rey's journey, or more importantly struggles, so all the Mary Sue complaints and comments about her being over powered will flood back in. Unless they again overcompensate on this somehow at the opening . . . .

Honestly I'd like to see them just create a new character (whose to say Luke didn't knock somebody up, or that Ben wasn't an only child), and maybe have Rey just act as a resource on that journey. But if they're bound and determined to make Rey happen, they can't just fall back to the old "the fans hate her cause she's a girl" arguement. Its been 5 years since the last movie which is plenty of time to seperate the noise from the plentiful and legitimate issues that need to be addressed with the character.

All in all I hope the film is good. I really would like to go back to enjoying Star Wars like I mostly have been with Mando, and Ahsoka, but I'm afraid they'll focus to much on some agenda rather than building a quality character and story.

It kind of feels like they're now just trolling. 😅

"And we’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”

You know that's going to get a reaction from the people who are already mad about everything Disney. I bet we'll be seeing tons of videos because of this one quote. :D

This really is going to be another no win scenario for them.

They're taking what many would argue is at best a controversial character and at worst an unlikable over-powered character, and trying again to relaunch Star Wars and build a brand around her. Even her name comes with controversy. What do people even call her? Rey Skywalker, or Rey Palpatine. That alone is going to cause the fan base to start screaming, unless maybe you retcon that too during a search of her self discovery.

I think you abandon all her side characters from the ST then start her on a journey to understand what it means to be force sensitive. Have her try to find or understand the Jedi, Sith, Nightsisters (yeah I know Ahsoka), etc.. Another corrupt Empire, Republic, Order isn't going to further the story. This should be a period of re-building. What concerns me though is this film is supposed to be set 15 years after and I don't think that helps them this time. We won't get to see Rey's journey, or more importantly struggles, so all the Mary Sue complaints and comments about her being over powered will flood back in. Unless they again overcompensate on this somehow at the opening . . . .

Honestly I'd like to see them just create a new character (whose to say Luke didn't knock somebody up, or that Ben wasn't an only child), and maybe have Rey just act as a resource on that journey. But if they're bound and determined to make Rey happen, they can't just fall back to the old "the fans hate her cause she's a girl" arguement. Its been 5 years since the last movie which is plenty of time to seperate the noise from the plentiful and legitimate issues that need to be addressed with the character.

All in all I hope the film is good. I really would like to go back to enjoying Star Wars like I mostly have been with Mando, and Ahsoka, but I'm afraid they'll focus to much on some agenda rather than building a quality character and story.

Yeah, it's still unclear whether Rey is actually the protagonist of this film or it's going to be a new protagonist where Rey plays an important supporting/mentor role. Considering that Lindelof's version was further into the future and featured a much older version of Rey, it's possible that this version still leans in that direction but with a more beefed up role and inclusion in the action.

On one hand it would be kind of weird if this film is structured as Rey's character arc, considering she just had a whole trilogy that was supposed to be her arc. On the other hand, creating another new force-sensitive protagonist about to go on their hero's journey might feel redundant and strange too.

I'm intrigued...I really want it to be great, but I share the concern that absent of a really great story, this movie has the potential to make an already contentious situation worse in terms of the state of Star Wars fandom. It's a very tricky needle to thread. I think in a way, this movie's job is to kind of make up for some of the inadequacies of the ST and tell a better story, but it has to do so in a way that feels like a natural evolution rather than a cynical, reactionary do-over.

It kind of feels like they're now just trolling. 😅

"And we’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”

You know that's going to get a reaction from the people who are already mad about everything Disney. I bet we'll be seeing tons of videos because of this one quote. :D

Yeah it's like they forgot about the entire ST based around a female character, or the TV show based around a female character, or the contributions of Jyn, Padema, and General Leia. . . . .

Yeah, it's still unclear whether Rey is actually the protagonist of this film or it's going to be a new protagonist where Rey plays an important supporting/mentor role. Considering that Lindelof's version was further into the future and featured a much older version of Rey, it's possible that this version still leans in that direction but with a more beefed up role and inclusion in the action.

On one hand it would be kind of weird if this film is structured as Rey's character arc, considering she just had a whole trilogy that was supposed to be her arc. On the other hand, creating another new force-sensitive protagonist about to go on their hero's journey might feel redundant and strange too.

I'm intrigued...I really want it to be great, but I share the concern that absent of a really great story, this movie has the potential to make an already contentious situation worse in terms of the state of Star Wars fandom. It's a very tricky needle to thread. I think in a way, this movie's job is to kind of make up for some of the inadequacies of the ST and tell a better story, but it has to do so in a way that feels like a natural evolution rather than a cynical, reactionary do-over.

It's for sure going to require a level of self awareness about the current state of Star Wars & the fandom that I'm not sure they have.

Yeah it's like they forgot about the entire ST based around a female character, or the TV show based around a female character, or the contributions of Jyn, Padema, and General Leia. . . . .

To be fair, I guess the argument is that it was still a bunch men shaping Rey's story on the page and behind the camera. Under Kathleen Kennedy's watch of course, but still.

Personally, I don't care. I think men can create great women characters and women can create great male characters and I don't attribute anyone's gender to anything that went wrong with the ST. I'm all for someone with a different perspective and life experience coming in and taking a crack at it. Lord knows we need some fresh ideas if this franchise is going to keep going. But I do agree that leading with that doesn't really set the tone that this is going to be about telling a great Star Wars story first and foremost. Which is all that's going to matter to 99% of the fans at the end of the day, male and female.

Last edited:
To be fair, I guess the argument is that it was still a bunch men shaping Rey's story on the page and behind the camera. Under Kathleen Kennedy's watch of course, but still.

Personally, I don't care. I think men can create great women characters and women can create great male characters and I don't attribute anyone's gender to anything that went wrong with the ST. I'm all for someone with a different perspective and life experience coming in and taking a crack at it. Lord knows we need some fresh ideas if this franchise is going to keep going. But I do agree that leading with that doesn't really set the tone that this is going to be about telling a great Star Wars story first and foremost. Which is all that's going to matter to 99% of the fans, male and female.

You have a fair point about the people behind the camera. However, to the best of my knowledge they were all fans to some degree and understood what they were up against. Nothing I've seen from Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy screams fan-girl or understanding the way that Filoni and Favreau did. Quite frankly I question that with KK. She may understand the business, marketing, and merch, but to date she hasn't exactly shown she's a fan-girl who gets it either.

You have a fair point about the people behind the camera. However, to the best of my knowledge they were all fans to some degree and understood what they were up against. Nothing I've seen from Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy screams fan-girl or understanding the way that Filoni and Favreau did. Quite frankly I question that with KK. She may understand the business, marketing, and merch, but to date she hasn't exactly shown she's a fan-girl who gets it either.

I actually don't put a ton of stock into how much of a fanboy or fangirl the person behind the camera is, tbh. Tony Gilroy did an incredible job with Andor despite not being a huge Star Wars fanboy, and arguably it lent it a fresh perspective that made it feel new and interesting.

That said, I think the best case scenario here is...

-There's something really interesting that Lindelof cracked in his initial story that is still in there.
-Filoni in his new role as Chief Creative Officer has been involved to some degree and has given the overall story direction his blessing and any necessary input.
-Obaid-Chinoy has a passion for the material and is going to bring it to life in an exciting way that still feels like Star Wars.

The thing about Lindelof gives me some hope because as far as I understand, it's not like Lucasfilm was commissioning writers to come up with something for a Rey story. He approached them with a pitch that got their attention. So the idea at least originated from a creative, not the studio looking for a box to check. How they carry that forward, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"