Stand-Alone Movies Jon Favreau to Produce Live-Action 'Star Wars' Series

Orba

Sidekick
Reaction score
Jon Favreau to Executive Produce, Write Live-Action 'Star Wars' Series

Jon Favreau is set to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series, Disney announced Thursday.

"I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm president said in a statement. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

This is not Favreau's first time working in a galaxy far, far away. The actor/director played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.
“If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you," he said in a statement. "I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Favreau is currently at work on his Lion King remake, due out July 19, 2019.

Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors last month that the company was working on multiple Star Wars series for its streaming service, which will target families. The streaming service, which has yet to be named, is eying a late 2019 debut, and in anticipation of the launch, Disney has already pulled its Marvel movies from rival Netflix.

The untitled Star Wars live-action series does not yet have a release date.

Hopefully we will get more info on setting etc soon.

Very excited about this. Very excited.

One thing which could be interesting is with it getting a release on their new streaming platform is if they will go for a miniseries or more traditional episodic tv series. One important thing is that this could be one of Disney's flagship series for their new service, they will want it to be good and they will be willing to throw a lot of money at it if it helps to get people to sign up to the service.

I hope they have enough time that it will be really impressive.

Since i don't do any streaming services, i guess i will be giving this a pass..

I don't really have any expectations for the show save one. I want it to be set after Return of the Jedi. I want us to move beyond the Original Trilogy and Prequel trilogy eras. I feel like those time periods have been done to death. I want to see new unexplored eras of the Star Wars mythos. post-Return of the Jedi and the "cold war" era is what I want to see.

Eh, I hope this show isn't just explaining how the Resistance formed. At this point I've seen enough of the Rebellion and the Empire. Plus, they have the new animated show about the Resistance.

A good opportunity for this show would be to make it about post-Sarlaac Boba Fett. It could be about a damaged and aging Boba training his son to carry on his legacy. Or it could just be more adventures of the original Boba.

Since it's being done for the streaming service, I hope it will have higher production values than your typical network TV show and will look really good.

It's interesting he used Yavin as his reference point though. He didn't say "3 years after Endor", rather "7 after Yavin". Nerdist clarified it in their video later on.

So, interesting. Post-Jedi, but also after the Battle Of Jakku. So the Empire's running off with their tails between their legs and only in the really formative stages of just starting down their path to become The First Order.

Still banking on Yavin having some significance though from his interview, not much to go on though.

I assume it's because Battle of Yavin is the main timeline reference for Lucasfilm and Star Wars continuity. It's all based on Battle of Yavin in the first movie (1977).

Yeah, that's how they've generally done it, it just seems a weird way to word it in an interview. Like "3 years after ROTJ" would seem a more natural way of saying it when talking to the media.

*Shrugs* It's probably nothing, just thought it was interesting.

Sounds like Thrawn will be appearing in the series or the Obi-Wan spinoff!!

With Solo: A Star Wars Story is coming out this week and Episode IX set begin filming in July, it’s hard to say folks aren’t excited about the future of the franchise.

Speaking of the future, something strange has come up and it has us a little curious if we could be seeing a fan-favourite Star Wars villain make the jump from Rebels/Legends to the cinematic corner.

An interesting audition tape has crossed our path from British actor Adam Templar. It’s apparently for the role of Grand Admiral Thrawn and he’s gone as so far to paint himself blue, wear red eye contacts, and dress in Jedi robes.

Commander Farrow, I fear you worry far too much, let us just apply a little reasoning to our situition.

If I were Master Shakaar, where would I hide?

We know our Jedi is a man of solitude, nature, peace, comfort in these things he would find. So it is wise to deduce that a location of this sort would be of much interest to him, yes?

Okay, so the 132 worlds in this quadrant we can now narrow that down to a much smaller 28.

He would also try to avoid the established urban worlds as most of them are now under the command of the Empire. Hmmm..

Nature, peace, hmmm…

Commander, set the coordinates for the penal system we leave here dearly. Oh, and, umm, alert Lord Vader. The noose is tied and set.

It is time to catch a Jedi.

I’m sure someone might know better than myself if this dialog is from an existing source like the novels/comics or made up for this reading.

In the audition, Thrawn is seeking to hunt down a Jedi Master (placeholder?) and is reporting to Darth Vader. This could suggest whatever the project is, Thrawn is taking out remaining Jedi post-Revenge of The Sith on behalf of the Empire.

Normally, we’d assume this was some acting student or fan messing about but Templar, while not a big name, has representation and does have plenty of film/television credits. Being located in the UK could suggest some sort of local casting call has gone out to actors.

Then again, we can’t verify it’s validity and are treating as a rumor at this point.

Thrawn has been established in Rebels, making him directly part of canon and like Clone Wars’ Saw Gerrera fair game for films like the anthologies.

He’s cold and calculated using his deep education of alien cultures and ruthless intelligence rather than the normal Imperial brutality to defeat his enemies, making him on of the more complex villains from the Legends era. Thrawn is a Chiss, which explains his blue skin and red eyes.

In the Rebels series, Thrawn is voiced by Mads Mikkelsen‘s brother Lars Mikkelsen. Mads plays Galen Erso in Rogue One, the father of protagonist Jyn Erso, was Lars’ casting an intended connection to the anthologies?

When Mads was originally cast in Rogue One, there had been speculation he was being placed in the role of Thrawn. This assumption Thrawn was being cast continued when Benicio Del Toro joined the cast of Rian Johnson’s The Last Jedi as well.
If he was returning for more animated adventures we suspect that Lars would return to the role.

Thrawn doesn’t exactly seem like a good fit for Episode IX (currently casting new roles) due to General Hux and Kylo Ren seemingly now the military leaders running the First Order, it would be strange to see Thrawn out of the blue (pun intended) without having established him in the previous two movies.

We are also expecting to see the Knights of Ren to become the main antagonists.

However, it was recently revealed by author and Thrawn creator Timothy Zhan that he he’ll be writing two more novels but is waiting for Episode IX before getting the go ahead. Some have suggested this could mean that he might have a connection to the film but nothing has been confirmed.

Rebels did leave the door open for Thrawn’s return to the franchise at some point.

Yet, the lines in the audition tape suggest this scene takes place after Revenge of The Sith but before Return of The Jedi, which easily assumes this is for anthology project.

Thrawn’s place in the Star Wars universe does lineup with the timeline for the Kenobi anthology film which is expected to begin filming next year at Pinewood UK. It’s very possible the Jedi he is trying to hunt is actually Obi-Wan (the nature and peace sentiment sounds like Kenobi to us) which could be revealing Thrawn is the villain in that movie.

The Kenobi synopsis that was recently going around was revealed to be cut and pasted from a novel, meaning that we are sort of in the dark again about what to expect from the anthology outside to the Jedi Master hiding out on Tattoonie.

Kenobi and Episode IX are seemingly the only two live-action projects moving forward outside of Jon Favreau’s streaming series project which is confirmed to be set years after the death of Vader. There is a good chance he could very well show up in the Kenobi movie, but it’s only speculation for the moment.

https://omegaunderground.com/2018/0...tar-wars-villain-thrawn-for-kenobi-anthology/

Last edited:
Looks like clickbait to me.

Yeah not buying it. Also why wouldn't you just go ahead and use Lars Mikkelsen? Dude's got the physical presence already. Thrawn makes no sense to cast a different actor as the voice.

And Jon's already said the series takes place post-Jedi, not sure why the Thrawn stuff is in this thread.

It'd be cool getting live-action Thrawn, I don't know what project it'd be for though. You wouldn't want him in an Obi-Wan solo flick. I guess it's not out of the question for Mangold's Boba movie assuming that's set pre-OT though.

************** is saying this is going to be about Mandalore, post-Imperial rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"