Should Dark Phoenix Be Shelved When Disney gets Fox?

Well wasn't Sinister supposed to be in there or make a cameo? I recall reading rumors about that.

He decided to stay away and appear in TOWIE (The Only Way Is Essex) instead. :o

Personally, if I was a fan waiting to see these two films I'd be cheering if it went straight to streaming. Being able to watch in the comfort of my own home on a service I'd have anyways versus paying for tickets and dealing with annoying moviegoers. It would be a no brainer which I'd prefer.

A few pages back some were arguing that no film with a budget greater than $100 million had ever been sent to streaming. WB said, "Hold my beer!"

Netflix Acquires Andy Serkis-Directed ‘Mowgli’ From Warner Bros & Plans 2019 Global Streaming Release

This is a development I've been anticipating ever since the Disney version of The Jungle Book was released. WB rightly fears that Serkis' film will suffer by comparison with its well-received rival. Mowgli will get a short theatrical release to showcase the 3D version, but that's it.

Those of us arguing that DP and NM could have their theatrical releases scrapped and go to streaming instead aren't just spinning fairy tales. Mowgli isn't the only film to be relegated to streaming when a studio got cold feet. Annihilation and The Cloverfield Paradox were both sold to Netflix close to their original theatrical release dates. Paradox went only to streaming while Annihilation had a brief theatrical run and streamed a few weeks later. That could conceivably happen to the Foxmen flicks, too.

Glad you brought this up.
I was going to mention it and then decided "nah, they'll just come up with another excuse to claim our hopes are absurd".
But, I'm glad it's out there for all to read.

Personally, if I was a fan waiting to see these two films I'd be cheering if it went straight to streaming. Being able to watch in the comfort of my own home on a service I'd have anyways versus paying for tickets and dealing with annoying moviegoers. It would be a no brainer which I'd prefer.

Excellent point.

Everybody gets what they want.

I prefer the cinema experience.

I mean, if I could, I'd watch all new movie releases in the comfort of my house. The cinema has too much cons.

For me, watching a movie at home leads to distraction and takes away my focus. Yeah, I get my nice comfy chair and can pause it to use the bathroom. But pausing the movie sucks me out of the story. Then the GF wants more popcorn. Have to pause the movie. I now live with someone who has dogs, now they want food. Gotta keep it paused. Oh wait, I want another soda. Pause the movie. Etc. It's not optimal for me. I like to get sucked into a movie and experience it. The home experience just doesn't do that for me. I just end up pausing it 50 times and being distracted.

Personally, I want to see it in the big screen just like the other bad X-Men films. However, for the long run of the property, just dump it to streaming/DVD stores. There's gonna be more Xcitement when the MCU X-Men arrive in theaters!

I think there's a chance they do a limited release and press tour, but I just don't think these films will be given any of those. The entire Fox/Disney deal will likely be done by the time there is an open release window that doesn't hurt the current MCU films on tap for next year so there may be no need to release them other to lower whatever debt was sunk into making them.

I hope they show the westchester incident from Logan and how xavier wiped out the mutants. Would be the perfect end.

I hope they show the westchester incident from Logan and how xavier wiped out the mutants. Would be the perfect end.

Only if it's set to this music:

[YT]Ag1o3koTLWM[/YT]

release it! I want to see it & new mutants with all the accouterments of a cinematic experience, 3D, Dolby Atmos, Audience etc

For me, watching a movie at home leads to distraction and takes away my focus. Yeah, I get my nice comfy chair and can pause it to use the bathroom. But pausing the movie sucks me out of the story. Then the GF wants more popcorn. Have to pause the movie. I now live with someone who has dogs, now they want food. Gotta keep it paused. Oh wait, I want another soda. Pause the movie. Etc. It's not optimal for me. I like to get sucked into a movie and experience it. The home experience just doesn't do that for me. I just end up pausing it 50 times and being distracted.

I make sure everyone knows to do what they need to do before the movie starts. The dogs can't be helped sometimes, but any dog I've had tends to function on pretty fixed schedules so I know when they'll likely be quiet and when they won't. A storm might blow up and result in them being scared or something or a neighbor might come over to visit, but that's about it.

The vast, vast majority of the time I can watch a movie at home in peace without distractions. Certainly I have a better chance of that happening than at the theater.

He enjoyed f***ing fans so much, he erased it so he could have a chance to f*** them again. :funny:

“I co-wrote X-Men 3, the ‘Dark Phoenix’ story, which is probably the most sacred of the X-Men storylines in the comics,” Kinberg said in a roundtable with The Hollywood Reporter. “Fanboys and girls did not love the movie [X-Men: The Last Stand]. When I wrote X-Men: Days of Future Past years later — it was a time travel story — I thought, ‘Well, here’s an opportunity to rewrite this mistake — bring Jean Grey back to life.’ I got to go back and essentially erase a $200 million movie.”

http://****************.com/movies/...n-days-future-past-fixed-mistakes-last-stand/

As a fan, a streaming release just feels cheaper.

He enjoyed f***ing fans so much, he erased it so he could have a chance to f*** them again. :funny:

“I co-wrote X-Men 3, the ‘Dark Phoenix’ story, which is probably the most sacred of the X-Men storylines in the comics,” Kinberg said in a roundtable with The Hollywood Reporter. “Fanboys and girls did not love the movie [X-Men: The Last Stand]. When I wrote X-Men: Days of Future Past years later — it was a time travel story — I thought, ‘Well, here’s an opportunity to rewrite this mistake — bring Jean Grey back to life.’ I got to go back and essentially erase a $200 million movie.”

http://****************.com/movies/...n-days-future-past-fixed-mistakes-last-stand/

Maybe Disney will do the same to Dark Phoenix. They don't even have to go back. Here's their opportunity to prevent this mistake. They can essentially erase Kinberg's movie NOW! :o

Is it just me, or does anyone else consider the term "Fanboy" to be sort of insulting and condescending? This is one of the things that has always bugged me about Kinberg. He has an arrogant attitude and seems to think the people who will (potentially) spend money to see his film are beneath him.

Is it just me, or does anyone else consider the term "Fanboy" to be sort of insulting and condescending? This is one of the things that has always bugged me about Kinberg. He has an arrogant attitude and seems to think the people who will (potentially) spend money to see his film are beneath him.

It didn't help that his last movie, Fant4stic, had MBJ saying of the fanboys:

owyrkCm.gif

A bad thing to say but I think it was an off the cuff comment, if not just an off the cuff joke.

Edit: Although a lot of studios seem to really think it.

Last edited:
A bad thing to say but I think it was an off the cuff comment, if not just an off the cuff joke.

Edit: Although a lot of studios seem to really think it.

They do think that often.

And it was more of a comment than a joke. That gif is not the original footage of him saying it. He was more serious in the actual one. I just had it always accompany that gif of him laughing because it fit the idea of him laughing in "fanboys'" faces at the time of Fant4stic, knowing it was true, even though it was so bad.

Release it. Too much effort has gone on this movie for it to just go to streaming.

89c.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"