Should Dark Phoenix Be Shelved When Disney gets Fox?

They should release it, but I hope Fox is not expecting it to make significantly more than Apocalypse because that seems highly unlikely, unless it's really good.

Its quite shameful the amount of people wanting Dark Phoenix to be cancelled simply because of pure spite to anything that isnt a part of the MCU.

That is NOT the reason.

I like many things not MCU, comic book related or otherwise.
Ive enjoyed some DC movies and loved Deadpool.

Its quite shameful the amount of people wanting Dark Phoenix to be cancelled simply because of pure spite to anything that isnt a part of the MCU. Im looking forward to the film and hope it can finish the Fox Xmen universe on a high, it deserves to bow out on the big screen at the very least, after some of the top level films theyve given us and the fact they started the comic book movie era. Discarding this in the junk pile or straight to dvd is disrespectful, to the actors in it if nothing else. I hope Kinberg adds in some send off scene at the end during reshoots to cap off the universe in a fitting and dignifying manner.

Hopefully it will be like this:

giphy.gif

Its quite shameful the amount of people wanting Dark Phoenix to be cancelled simply because of pure spite to anything that isnt a part of the MCU. Im looking forward to the film and hope it can finish the Fox Xmen universe on a high, it deserves to bow out on the big screen at the very least, after some of the top level films theyve given us and the fact they started the comic book movie era. Discarding this in the junk pile or straight to dvd is disrespectful, to the actors in it if nothing else. I hope Kinberg adds in some send off scene at the end during reshoots to cap off the universe in a fitting and dignifying manner.

There is no Fox X-Men anymore; why should they release a movie that will just muddy the water and confuse the GA? MCU needs to launch the X-Men properly, in their own terms. Letting Dark Phoenix be released in the theatre will affect that plan negatively. Moviegoers shouldn't see this movie and think that it's part of the MCU, and later when they reboot the franchise, it will hurt its chance to being accepted by the moviegoers. I just don't see why it's a good idea at all.

Even if they don't plan to do the Dark Phoenix Saga, why should they release a movie that handicap them in the first place? It's better to have the option to do that iconic story line instead of having that choice taken away from you.

By the time they would get to it, it would be fresh again.

By the time they would get to it, it would be fresh again.

Do you really want Fox to have done two Dark Phoenix Saga first before MCU can do their very first one? It will affect MCU's plan no matter how many years down the line when it happens. And it will never be "fresh" again; even Spider-Man felt a bit worn after its second reboot.

I honestly don’t need closure with the Fox-men.

I feel like I got closure with the original cast with DOFP.

I got closure with Jackman and Stewart with Logan.

For the FC crew, they ruined them with Apocalypse when they made Magneto commit genocide and McAvoy’s Professor being totally cool with it. Cyclops, Jean, and Storm barely made an impact in that movie. And it’s obvious Lawrence is just in it for a paycheck at this point.

So yeah, shelve this and New Mutants.

I hate when titles of threads ask one yes or no question and the poll asks the exact opposite. I almost voted the wrong way because of it. It makes the poll almost invalid because you can't tell whether people read the poll or just the thread title.

Do you really want Fox to have done two Dark Phoenix Saga first before MCU can do their very first one? It will affect MCU's plan no matter how many years down the line when it happens. And it will never be "fresh" again; even Spider-Man felt a bit worn after its second reboot.

It doesn't bother me at all, honestly. It won't matter at the end of the day.

Marvel has more than 50 years of stories to tell. So them not adapting Dark Phoenix isn't bad at all. We know at least the characters will be treated right.

But between watching FOX's ~grounded~ version of such storyline, written and directed by Kinberg, and a version in the MCU with a well developed Jean that the audience spent enough time to care about, in an established cosmic universe that is not affraid of embracing the soap opera that the story really is... If I had to chose, I'd skip the FOX version and get the Marvel one.

We've seen the grounded version of Galactus, Dr Doom and Dark Phoenix before under Fox and it aint good.

Its quite shameful the amount of people wanting Dark Phoenix to be cancelled simply because of pure spite to anything that isnt a part of the MCU.

Well Kinberg did already get a chance to adapt the story and did so badly.

Im looking forward to the film and hope it can finish the Fox Xmen universe on a high

While the series has had some good films, it's become really only loosely a series since its continuity has been so loose.

OTOH Marvel Studios might have tried to rush a Dark Phoenix film pretty soon so maybe, with a second adaptation, it having to wait a while more before doing a next one would be a good thing.

Just cancel Dark Phoenix and New Mutants at this point. The X-Men series ended with Logan.

What if...Dark Phoenix is good? And I mean, really good? DOFP, First Class level good?

Lol. Point taken. Just sayin'. It could end up surprising people. But yes, the delay aint a good sign. Although its only 3 months.

What if...Dark Phoenix is good? And I mean, really good? DOFP, First Class level good?

Assuming the deal is finalised by years end I'd imagine Disney & Feige will see Kinberg's final cut and make a call either way. If its a turd then dumping it down to streaming would be the smarter move imo.

If it's genuinely good (which I wouldn't think likely but you never know) its trickier. In that instance it might be best to roll with it and go for the cash return, but maybe make sure it has an ending (assuming Kinberg won't have done it) that serves as a finale to the Fox-verse series. That would be better than leaving it with anything hanging that will never be resolved, and the Fox-Verse can end on a high note.

I think it'd have to be surprisingly good (considering this is all Kinberg's work) to get Disney to be happy with keeping it as a theatrical release.

Its not gonna get dumped elsewhere though. These big movies have lots of endorsement deals and theater chain deals in place way in advance, don't they? Besides, even IF they did "dump" it to streaming, what PR reason would they use to justify such a move? This ain't Sharknado 5, this is a huge budget X-Men movie with huge stars attached to it.

Its not gonna get dumped elsewhere though. These big movies have lots of endorsement deals and theater chain deals in place way in advance, don't they? Besides, even IF they did "dump" it to streaming, what PR reason would they use to justify such a move? This ain't Sharknado 5, this is a huge budget X-Men movie with huge stars attached to it.

There have been other movies with some big names that never made it to theatres or even any kind of release. Nothing I know of remotely close to the scale of a big budget X-Men flick though, however afaik this is an unprecedented situation.

As such and Tbh, I don't know how Disney will handle it, but if its a bad film I could see them thinking its best to keep it away from theatres, and any endorsement, product placement, theatre chain deals etc they'd cancel and pay off the concerned parties.

As for PR, they can say the truth. It wasn't made by them and they want the cinematic slate clean and clear sooner rather than later for the MCU to do their X-Men. If it is a stinker probably best not to mention that until after its been streamed, lol.

If its good, like I said before, let it ride and give the Fox-Verse fans a nice finale.

I really like reading how people attempt to justify shelving a $125 million (or more) movie as a plausible idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"