Should Dark Phoenix Be Shelved When Disney gets Fox?

Hopefully it will be like this:

giphy.gif

DP should really end like this:

jq4vLW.gif

It likely gets released and marketed as the last big finale to that version of the X-franchise. Gets the big send off like Logan and dies a quiet death as they make plans for the all new MCU cinematic debut of the Xmen. This just makes the most logical sense.

Whatever will be will be.

That said, if it’s good, I would like to see it released.
However if it’s bad, I hope it doesn’t see the light of day.
I don’t know which it is, but then it doesn’t matter.

Whatever will be, will be.

I really like reading how people attempt to justify shelving a $125 million (or more) movie as a plausible idea.
It won't be shelved, just delayed and used as original content for Disney streaming, ie Bright, The Cloverfield Paradox etc.

It won't be shelved, just delayed and used as original content for Disney streaming, ie Bright, The Cloverfield Paradox etc.

Why would they release it even closer to when their version is going to be seen? If it's going to be released, might as well let it happen in February as planned and then move on from it.

I really like reading how people attempt to justify shelving a $125 million (or more) movie as a plausible idea.
Well I wouldn't think canning it completely is a viable or plausible option at all, even if it was utterly terrible, but I can see circumstances where bumping it down to streaming might make sense.

For example: Imagine it was 3 years ago, and this deal happened back then with completion and transfer of assets to occur before the release of FFINO, which also cost north of $100mil. Long enough before for Disney to have time see the god awful product made by Fox, and make a call on that films fate.

Would Disney have been wise then to let that brand tarnishing turd, the first CBM movie released by them to Cinema after the buyout too, be released in theatres? Might it have been better to send it to someone like Netflix and begin work on their own Fantastic Four?

Now I'm not saying Dark Phoenix will be as bad as FFINO, but what if it is? What would be the best move Disney can make in this scenario?

Btw, Disney aint immune to releasing turds themselves. John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland etc. All big flops Disney had to write off. But in this unprecedented case we have a company with its own well established, well received and thriving cinematic universe acquiring back assets fans will be gagging to see established in that.

Is it really so implausible an idea that Disney might feel a left over production from Fox might be better off kept away from theatres to leave a clearer path for that introduction?

I'd add the decision either way should come down to the films quality. I've said before if its good then letting it ride is the better option. If its bad though...

Last edited:
The vindictive little **** in me thinks it'd be absolutely hilarious if Simon Kinberg's film gets shelved indefinitely, perhaps never to see the light of day.

More likely it gets released though, if not in theaters than definitely on Disney's streaming service.

The vindictive little **** in me thinks it'd be absolutely hilarious if Simon Kinberg's film gets shelved indefinitely, perhaps never to see the light of day.

More likely it gets released though, if not in theaters than definitely on Disney's streaming service.

The vindictive little **** in me wants this movie out there for the world to see. Just like with Fant4stic, after hearing Kinberg defended time and time again no matter how stupid the words that were actually coming out of his mouth sounded, it would be fun to see all the people who think Kinberg has a clue realize the truth - that he really doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow.:hehe:

Anybody who really wants to see this film should be careful what they wish for.

The vindictive little **** in me wants this movie out there for the world to see. Just like with Fant4stic, after hearing Kinberg defended time and time again no matter how stupid the words that were actually coming out of his mouth sounded, it would be fun to see all the people who think Kinberg has a clue realize the truth - that he really doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow.:hehe:

Defenders of DP would still think it's good though, just like FFINO defenders thought Fant4stic was good. Some even forced themselves to go and see it 10 times.

To be fair, we don't know conclusively if it sucks yet. But I will agree, my faith in the project being good is low.

To be fair, we don't know conclusively if it sucks yet. But I will agree, my faith in the project being good is low.

I would stop short of saying it's going to 'suck', but I'm as sure as I can be that it won't be a good film and it won't be a proper or fitting ending to the X-Men.

If they did shelve it and Logan served as the last X-film, I think that would be a much better and more fitting end to the Fox X-Men.

My expectation for Dark Phoenix is that it will generally look and feel like an X-Men film. The characters and costumes and powers will all be there, so for someone who just wants the superficial elements, they'll get them.

But I expect the story and general film to be flat and lifeless, with a lot of head-scratching, inexplicable, annoying things going on.

Fant4stic was flat and lifeless with a lot of head-scratching, inexplicable, annoying things going on, but it was also completely dissimilar to the FF.

Dark Phoenix is likely to be better than Fant4stic because of the familiar X-Men elements. And the initial trailer, if edited well by somebody other than Kinberg, may actually look promising.

But I fully expect the experience of actually sitting through the film to be unpleasant and mind-numbing.

As for PR, they can say the truth. It wasn't made by them and they want the cinematic slate clean and clear sooner rather than later for the MCU to do their X-Men.

Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender do have fanbases (although for the latter two probably not really big) it would probably be better for Marvel Studios to not too directly or strongly slam them and their interpretation as not good enough, intolerable.

Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender do have fanbases (although for the latter two probably not really big) it would probably be better for Marvel Studios to not too directly or strongly slam them and their interpretation as not good enough, intolerable.

I think Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara etc. would have welcomed that option rather than having the stink fest actually out on movie screens.

I think Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara etc. would have welcomed that option rather than having the stink fest actually out on movie screens.

Michael B Jordan wouldn't care. He'd say we'd still see it anyway. :o

I think it's only an option to consider if the film is bad. And if it's bad, like I said before, best not to mention that in any PR explaining the decision. Go with the clean slate approach, want to focus on the new MCU version etc.

As for the actors I wouldn't see it as slight on thier interpretations and far more an indictment on Kinbergs abilities. Plus I think if Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell & Kebbell could be given the choice of having FFINO stinking out theatres in 2015, or having a lesser impact on their careers via Netflix, they'd likely (with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight) choose the latter.

Fan4stic didn't have a true fan base going in though. They had to win people over (which they never did). The current X-Men franchise has an actual fan base.

OTOH Marvel Studios might have tried to rush a Dark Phoenix film pretty soon so maybe, with a second adaptation, it having to wait a while more before doing a next one would be a good thing.

Given how they've been handling their Spidey films (avoiding stories and characters that the previous films covered), I think they wouldn't go near a Phoenix storyline for a long time either way.

That is misleading because they are avoiding a third origin story for the same character in less than 15 years. We don't need to know Spider-Man's origin story yet again so they skipped it, and justifably so. We also don't need another origin story for Batman, Superman or for anyone else who is immensely well known and popular to the general audience.

We also don't need another origin story for Batman, Superman or for anyone else who is immensely well known and popular to the general audience.
And yet, Snyder made damn sure that the Wayne Family Massacre of Crime Alley was included in BvS.

With added slow mo of course

And it was shown TWICE in that "movie"

That is misleading because they are avoiding a third origin story for the same character in less than 15 years. We don't need to know Spider-Man's origin story yet again so they skipped it, and justifably so. We also don't need another origin story for Batman, Superman or for anyone else who is immensely well known and popular to the general audience.

MOS still shown Superman's origin story even after a 10 year run by Smillville, and BVS shown Bruce's origin story where his parents were gunned down even with Gotham on TV.

Which is why when Spider-Man came in Civil War then had Homecoming I was so relieved not to have to eye roll at yet another origin story.

Direct to Streaming.

I was thinking this. Personally I'm torn. On one hand I want the Fox Verse to get a proper solid send off. Apocalypse sucked. On the other hand just let it go quietly into the night.

Let it be that thing fans will speculate for about for years. About what could/might have been. And then 20 years from now out of the blue Disney releases it on bluray. X-Men Dark Phoenix: "The Kinberg cut" After 20 years witness the epic conclusion to the First Class on Super 10k Bluray. (cause in 20 years well have 10k bluray) :D

I was thinking this. Personally I'm torn. On one hand I want the Fox Verse to get a proper solid send off. Apocalypse sucked. On the other hand just let it go quietly into the night.

Logan could be that send off. It's good and has two of the original actors in it.

...Except that it's a pretty depressing way to end the story of our X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"