Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

ITSV was better than it had any right to be but damn that movie was so good...the Peter in that movie is one of the best iterations we've had in media, it even got me to care about an alt Spidey in Miles and then, I look at FFH...and imo it looks weak sauce compared to these other adaptations.
And we had three of him, one was voiced by the legendary Nic Cage.

If only we could complete that record by a spectacular (I don't mean that decade old show) contemporary animated show, it will be sensational status almost all around.

uFdTogf.jpg

I feel the same regarding FFH...as harsh as it may sound, I really don't care. I'm in such a good place with the amount of Spidey goodness recently--the comics are Amazing again, pun intended, the ps4 game was great, ITSV was better than it had any right to be but damn that movie was so good...the Peter in that movie is one of the best iterations we've had in media, it even got me to care about an alt Spidey in Miles and then, I look at FFH...and imo it looks weak sauce compared to these other adaptations. So yeah, at the moment I'm completely underwhelmed. I'm sure Gyllenhal will dominate as Mysterio but outside of that....ehhh.
Pretty much, I think we've just gotten so spoiled in the downpour of excellent new Spidey content that feels so recognizable yet fresh that consequently some of the choices Homecoming made/FFH seems to be making becomes a feeling of changes making it different instead of just making Spidey. If that makes sense?

I dunno. All things considered this movie will be another sure-thing good installment but the calculated crowdpleasing yet forgettable formulas of these movies (generally) have become a bit tiresome to me. Again, we're pretty spoiled but I want the love and range PS4 Spidey had in its story, or Spider-Verse, or even just the solid character work in the Amazing comics right now.

I feel the same regarding FFH...as harsh as it may sound, I really don't care. I'm in such a good place with the amount of Spidey goodness recently--the comics are Amazing again, pun intended, the ps4 game was great, ITSV was better than it had any right to be but damn that movie was so good...the Peter in that movie is one of the best iterations we've had in media, it even got me to care about an alt Spidey in Miles and then, I look at FFH...and imo it looks weak sauce compared to these other adaptations. So yeah, at the moment I'm completely underwhelmed. I'm sure Gyllenhal will dominate as Mysterio but outside of that....ehhh.

Are you planning to see the movie in cinema? As interesting as Jake Gyllenhaal playing Mysterio on the big screen is, I think my personal choice is to vote with my wallet and only watch it when I don't have to pay for it, like on a streaming service which I'm already subscribed to

Pretty much, I think we've just gotten so spoiled in the downpour of excellent new Spidey content that feels so recognizable yet fresh that consequently some of the choices Homecoming made/FFH seems to be making becomes a feeling of changes making it different instead of just making Spidey. If that makes sense?

I dunno. All things considered this movie will be another sure-thing good installment but the calculated crowdpleasing yet forgettable formulas of these movies (generally) have become a bit tiresome to me. Again, we're pretty spoiled but I want the love and range PS4 Spidey had in its story, or Spider-Verse, or even just the solid character work in the Amazing comics right now.

That's basically how I feel. Comparing all the current iterations/adaptations, comics included, FFH is my least liked one. I don't hate it by any means. It's not awful. But everything that I've seen so far in Homecoming--it's been done better elsewhere. Will that change in FFH? Probably not.

Are you planning to see the movie in cinema? As interesting as Jake Gyllenhaal playing Mysterio on the big screen is, I think my personal choice is to vote with my wallet and only watch it when I don't have to pay for it, like on a streaming service which I'm already subscribed to

Tbh, I hadn't thought about that. It'd be the first time I didn't see a Spider-Man movie at the theater. It really depends though. Like I said, I don't hate MCU Spidey...I'll wait to see if any of the upcoming trailers grab me enough to make me want to see it. If I had to make the decision right now...I dunno, there's a chance I might skip it.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
I hope that is what the cameo turns out to be.

Let's stop complaining about this movie before it comes out. This is supposed to be for hype. It sucks getting on here and seeing so much negativity towards this version of Spider-Man

Mysterio looks so dang good, who would have ever thought we'd see such a comic accurate crazy Mysterio in live action? There's finally some shots of the Mysterio Funko Pop, as well as Molten Man and Hydro-Man. Once again, they're officially called that on products.

FunkoSpidey06.jpg

FunkoSpidey07.jpg

FunkoSpidey08.jpg

Let's stop complaining about this movie before it comes out. This is supposed to be for hype. It sucks getting on here and seeing so much negativity towards this version of Spider-Man

Man, you're on a discussion forum, this is a discussion and news thread. We're all Spidey fans and everybody's entitled to their opinions and to voicing them civilly when it comes up. I don't think anybody here is 'complaining' but some are a bit torn with this Spidey.

This gives me a thought for the Stan Lee cameo... what if his face shows through Mysterio’s fishbowl and he gives the “great power great responsibility” quote?
Don't see that happening. One of the Russo brothers said Endgame is probably his last cameo

It is a discussion board. It's not like there's really anything about this to discuss right now. We'll probably get a new trailer sometime next month

My positive thoughts:
I'm sure that Gyllenhaal will knock it out of the park. And their marketing restraint is very refreshing. Back in TASM days you saw one trailer and your brain filled all the blanks. This time I really cant say what will happen, at least by the 1st trailer. I'm also optimistic that maybe this time Spider-man cracks better jokes and doesnt point out when something is "awesome" half the time

My positive thoughts:
I'm sure that Gyllenhaal will knock it out of the park. And their marketing restraint is very refreshing. Back in TASM days you saw one trailer and your brain filled all the blanks. This time I really cant say what will happen, at least by the 1st trailer. I'm also optimistic that maybe this time Spider-man cracks better jokes and doesnt point out when something is "awesome" half the time
Given Sony's track record, I'd stay away from the remaining trailers.

Mysterio looks so dang good, who would have ever thought we'd see such a comic accurate crazy Mysterio in live action? There's finally some shots of the Mysterio Funko Pop, as well as Molten Man and Hydro-Man. Once again, they're officially called that on products.

FunkoSpidey06.jpg

FunkoSpidey07.jpg

FunkoSpidey08.jpg

Welp looks like I'm gonna be hunting for some funkos :hyper:

So I rewatched Homecoming all the way through, it's still very entertaining. This time I came to the realization, that maybe this version makes more sense if the classic origin isnt made canon. Im not being sarcastic actually. Think about it. MCU Peter is good natured, he means well and wants to be a hero, but he hasnt exactly learned to act completely responsibly at the start of Homecoming. Think about how much more this cool big sister type with Aunt May makes sense if Peter was given to her alone when Peter's parents died. Now here's the kicker: what if Peter's biological dad was Ben Parker? I mean nobody cares about Richard Parker anyway, and if you compare MCU Spiderman to comicbook Spider-man, the MCU one is a lot like an else-world version.

I know that all of us are on some level attached to the classic origin tale. But source material accuracy, as good as the material is, isnt always the right choice for a movie. After a few watches I absolutely agree that MCU Peter does feel like a realistic teenager if one got powers. But its not like comicbook Peter, and I think at this point it shouldnt try to be. The sincerity and personality consistency is what matters to me the in any character, not strict comicbook accuracy. If they are to do flashbacks or smt with his origin, I wish that they do their own spin that makes sense with their own Spiderman

May is already referred to as his Aunt. So Ben Parker is his Uncle.
My premise is that May is Peter's Aunt (Mary Parker's sister) and Peter is the son of Ben and Mary. Ben and Mary die in an accident years before Peter gets his powers, and he is trusted to May who becomes his sole guardian

There is nothing that tangibly tells us that Peter had an Uncle or that the he died only 6 months before Homecoming. Peter's character doesn't even reflect that. Feige and the writers are trying their best to disconnect their Spider-man from Uncle Ben completely. So why not do something different? It's not like Uncle Ben was ever mentioned. Only vague nods than can be interpreted in many ways. The established MCU story doesn't go well with the classic origin. Actually, since people dont even want to see the classic origin again, I suggest that either they never ever show Peter's past, or that if they do, make it with a twist

Last edited:
Man, Hot Toys Mysterio will be a must for me. That thing is gonna look gorgeous, hoping the bowl has the smoke inside it like the Funko Pop's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"