Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

easy... they didn't want backlash

they didn't want the anger that Woodley and Micheal B Jordan got and figured if they went ahead and did it and kept it hush hush we'd respond better to it

2. Pokkle Registered

Dragon Ball's character shouldn't be white (except some .)
    And the movie was hated by everyone, including me.

And I didn't see God of Egypt, but there's was a lot of hate for the whitewashing.

And I don't care about Ghost in the shell but there's already plenty of hate for Ghost in the Shell's casting.

#877 Pokkle, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

problem lies there though that why would she suddenly want to go by a name she didn't like and chose to go by her middle name instead.. is MJ still MJ if she wants to be called Michelle?

4. X Knight Straight Edge

except.......the set pic vibe does NOT match that.

that's the issue.

5. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

^ Right, Pokkie. All of their box-offices suffered; the reviews sucked. Audiences didn't like any of them either. And they faced a backlash. Heck, "The Great Wall" is facing a backlash right now.

6. SpideyJJ Registered

Not just the set pics, but also the character descriptions from SDCC attendees as well as Zendaya herself

7. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

This is what I've said basically in the other thread. If MJ does turn out to be awkward and dry and mousey, then in what sense has she captured that alpha female playfulness?

But we'll probably hear something similar for MJ that we did from FFINO defenders about Michael B Jordan's portrayal of Johnny Storm, that she was giving a different portrayal of MJ that WAS meant to be awkward and non-alpha female or playful, so she DID capture that version she was going for.

But you can nail your own version you're going for, but in what sense is it like traditional MJ at all?

If they played Peter as an autistic science geek with absolutely no social skills who was very withdrawn and weird, well would people say he nailed the essence of Peter Parker at all? Or would we get arguments that he nailed the essence of THAT Peter Parker? :o

8. Scarlet Spider Registered

Well, that wasn't the point of Gunn's post though. LOL. We know what the issue is/will be for a lot of people.

If they botch the characterization, that's on Marvel Studios. Nothing to do with the casting.

9. X Knight Straight Edge

exactly.

Zendaya herself said she can relate to the character because she is "super dry and awkward."

well, super dry and awkward sound contradictory to "alpha female playfulness" to me. like opposite ends of the personality spectrum.

it's not just about the race, or the hair, it's about the personality of the character and how she acts and behaves.

10. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

Yep. Maybe if she looked like this in the set photos:

[​IMG]

and not this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd be able to buy that more.

11. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

But people take posts like the one from Gunn and then will say that they don't care at all what the actress looks like, as long as her characterisation is correct. But then what happens if it isn't correct? Do they move the goal posts and just argue as I've suggested some do in my post above that the characterisation is correct for that version they're going for?

12. X Knight Straight Edge

what do you mean that wasn't the point of his post?

he said as long as the actress captures the spirit/essence of the character, which to him is alpha female playfulness, then it doesn't matter about the race or character.

Gunn nailed what MJ character's should be.

except, that doesn't seem to be what we're getting with Zendaya's take.

they could have cast a white actress with red hair, but then made her all frumpy and conservative looking and "super dry and awkward" and I'll still call into question that choice.

13. Scarlet Spider Registered

Also, people were against Zendaya playing MJ, way before any of the set pics leaked.

14. Neno_Kos Registered

http://i.imgur.com/i1Ok6qN.gifv

15. Loki882 Registered

Maybe she's telling the truth, or maybe not. It's not like actors haven't lied about roles in order to try and protect spoilers before.

16. X Knight Straight Edge

I didn't like it. but I was willing to give her a chance if she really nailed the spirit/essence of classic MJ that I want.

but based on the set pics and comments about the character's personality, I have lost confidence.

17. Chesterfield Registered

Their crappy BO was because they were garbage movies first and foremost. I'm glad those films were whitewashed and did poorly because any how the films cast the characters with racial accuracy they'd be pushing harder than ever the agenda of movies predominantly consisting of poc don't sell.

18. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Mary Jane/Gamora/Valkyrie 2017 is the year of the Black Love Interest.

I'm ready!

19. Scarlet Spider Registered

If it isn't correct and they botch the characterization, than It'll just be another Kirsten Dunst situation, where they completely dropped the ball again. This character is near and dear to my heart and I've been EXTREMELY outspoken on how badly she's been depicted in live action so far.

Par for the course.

Gunn wasn't commenting on set pics, just on the topic of changing the race of a charcater. Your issues (although very legit), have absolutely nothing to do with casting. They could have cast a pretty caucasian redhead and the same issues you currently have, would still be present.

20. Neno_Kos Registered

I wish Pelmutter or whatever his name is still had the job. He was the hero.

21. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

Yeah but, keeping MJ a secret seems really odd. I'd understand if it was a villain like Talia Al Ghul in TDKR. But just come out and tell us like you did with Liz, Flash and Ned.

22. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

Dan Slott and the current house of Marvel arn't super fan's of MJ anyway... and all supported the marriage ending with Joey Q's plans... :whatever:

23. X Knight Straight Edge

right.

nothing about those set pics screams MJ.

even her fashion sense sucks, and MJ is supposed to be fashionable!

a girl who is "alpha female playful" would not wear something like that. She would wear hot, fashionable clothes to flaunt her beauty. She'd want to show off her hotness and be playful and flirty.

#898 X Knight, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  24. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

I'm ready too :cwink:

25. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Uh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.