Playstation Spider-Man (PS4) - Part 3

Oh my Lord, that map.... beautiful. This is probably going to set the bar for NYC in games.

I'm loving those covers.

Why should it bother you? It keeps gameplay fun instead of adding needless hinderance.

Well because it's a Spider-Man game & I want some level of immersion when I'm playing. I associate very small levels of wall running to Spider-Man & it's more limited to horizontal as opposed to straight up vertically running up a building, that's something I'd more associate with someone like the Flash.

The swinging & wall scaling was fun anyway, I never found it a hindrance in any Spider-Man game I've ever played. I don't really want something added either just because it's more handy for the player if it doesn't fit the character. Save the running straight up over buildings for Prototype 3.

Actually agreed. I noticed that too. Jumping off the Empire State Building should have more impact, but it's very bleh. Probably my one actual complaint haha But in no way a deal breaker for me personally.

And who knows--the next 2.5 months are polish and bug fixing, so maybe it'll be slightly improved ;)

ALSO I will say: I've lived in New York all my life. Manhattan itself for several years. I know that city. Insomniac has managed to perfectly capture it's feel and liveliness on the street. And the view from atop the ESB is nearly picture perfect.

I actually watched the E3 coliseum just now, and in that gameplay the same ESB fall actually had visual impact, with added effects and the end swing had more momentum. So we can for sure say that this will be fixed :) must be some consistency bugs going on

And i agree, the city especially from the skyscraper view looks stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50MOMvRkUo
the ESB part on 28:00

Last edited:
Well because it's a Spider-Man game & I want some level of immersion when I'm playing. I associate very small levels of wall running to Spider-Man & it's more limited to horizontal as opposed to straight up vertically running up a building, that's something I'd more associate with someone like the Flash.

The swinging & wall scaling was fun anyway, I never found it a hindrance in any Spider-Man game I've ever played. I don't really want something added either just because it's more handy for the player if it doesn't fit the character. Save the running straight up over buildings for Prototype 3.
Will never happen. :csad:

Spider-Man can run on walls, that is the most important thing to me. Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 (Treyacrh games) kept the continuous wall running upwards limited by the reduced air pressure effect. Kinda weird to have that in a game that allows double jump.

Races are the most frustrating things in a lot of these game, the only game I played with easy races is their Ratchet and Clank reboot.

Will never happen. :csad:

Spider-Man can run on walls, that is the most important thing to me. Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 (Treyacrh games) kept the continuous wall running upwards limited by the reduced air pressure effect. Kinda weird to have that in a game that allows double jump.

What is ridiculous is seeing Hulk run up buildings in Ultimate Destruction. However, it makes the traveling super easy and literally unstoppable, so I forgive it. Spidey should always be able to run on buildings.

I still remember those races with Johnny Storm in the Ultimate Spider-Man game. Not a fan.
What is ridiculous is seeing Hulk run up buildings in Ultimate Destruction. However, it makes the traveling super easy and literally unstoppable, so I forgive it. Spidey should always be able to run on buildings.
God, that game was a lot of stupid, destructive fun.

I wish they game would get a remaster. Still one of the best comic games of all time imo.

You guys should try The Incredible Hulk on Xbox 360/PS3 if you want another game like that. It was very similar but it wasn't very good. You could make buildings collapse.

I still haven't played that game, but I will :up: for the point I agree with.

Ah **** me, there goes my Platinum trophy! I can never accomplish stuff like that.
More than half the races will probably be solvable, require a lot of patience and retries, but solvable.

I still remember those races with Johnny Storm in the Ultimate Spider-Man game. Not a fan.
The last is one I truly hate, starting with the point of climbing Trask's tower. I can't even turn around that using a cheat disc.

You guys should try The Incredible Hulk on Xbox 360/PS3 if you want another game like that. It was very similar but it wasn't very good. You could make buildings collapse.
I enjoyed that game for what it offered, but I got the dumbed graphics PC port.

I had it. My copy was glitchy and everything turned psychedelic colors half the time.

Variants promoting the game.

ASM-MANDRYK-SMVG-VAR.jpg

AVENGERS-VENTRUE-SMVG-VAR.jpg

SPIGEDDON-JI-SMVG-VAR.jpg

ASMANNUAL-CHAN-SMVG-VAR.jpg

We got them a few pages back, but they are so great I'm willing to enjoy seeing them all together in one post like this.

I actually watched the E3 coliseum just now, and in that gameplay the same ESB fall actually had visual impact, with added effects and the end swing had more momentum. So we can for sure say that this will be fixed :) must be some consistency bugs going on

And i agree, the city especially from the skyscraper view looks stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50MOMvRkUo
the ESB part on 28:00
It's still the same. He doesn't take advantage of the falling speed. Well, hope is the last one to die...

Those covers are awesome, Insomniac's suit really shines in comic form.

Cant wait to play this game but of course you are always going to have people who dont see why people think it is going to be special. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/spider-man-ps4-hands-on-e3-2018

To be fair, that article was, to an extent, well written. While he refutes the hype, he points out why it's not his particular cup of tea. I can see where he's coming from. I just watched a 22 minute video walkthrough of the game and it did start becoming repetitive. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Look at Halo. When Bungie made that game, they crafted it around the ideology of "Let's make something that's fun for 30 seconds and try to refine that for an entire experience."

It's not fair to base your "overall" impressions off a simple demo. Clearly Insomniac hasn't put all of their eggs in the demo and there will be a lot to surprise players and give them something to gawk over. I am hoping for more finishing animations and swinging animations...in the walkthrough I watched, Spider-Man kept doing the same twisting animation when swinging. It's just something I noticed but it won't detract from the experience.

This is definitely shaping up to be one of the best Spider-Man titles in a LONG time. (Probably since Ultimate Spider-Man back in 2005.) Insomniac clearly are fans of the character and they're doing everything in their power to bring something memorable to the table.

The icing on the cake for me would be the inclusion of The Lizard and Tombstone. I would love for Insomniac to give us a sewer section, tracking down The Lizard. Or Tombstone, Martin Li and Kingpin all have a gang feud between each other. I doubt Lizard will make an appearance though because of him closely looking like Scorpion. I will say that article did make an interesting statement about the formulaic boss battles but, as many have stated over the years, boss battles are extremely hard to craft/get right. I do hope they bring something memorable to the table though in terms of mechanics. Imagine fighting Vulture in a free roam environment! That gets me excited/hyped.

I think the big bad is going to end up being Green Goblin. For whatever reason it sounds like a glider to me at the end of that E3 demo instead of Doc Ock. Also it makes sense that Osborn could have things built for the bad guys using OsCorp. I know people are tired of that thread but, it's plausible/works. I thought it was handled well in Spectacular Spider-Man.

I don’t know what you’re talking about the original Halo trilogy’s amazing.
You must not like any arcade or arena shooters.

My only worry is that Insomniac might still not beat out Spider-Man 2's web-swinging. Tried to look up some videos comparing the two games, people giving their analyzes of the web-swinging, and the more I watch, the more I get the feeling of the web-swinging, yes, might be great, but still not Spider-Man 2 levels of great.

One person pointed out some little details. In Spider-Man 2, much like the Movies, Spider-Man would shoot his web-line up and forward, to swing in a big arch, to gain a lot of momentum. In the Spider-Man PS4 footage so far, Spider-Man would shoot the web-line almost straight up, so before you're able to gain any proper momentum, you'd already be way past the anchor point of the web-line, resulting in only half arch swings. Overall the regular swinging seems to lack a lot of momentum and is missing that feeling of pure exhilaration.

Of course the E3 builds of the game might not have had all swinging upgrades unlocked, and it'll be completely different once the finished product is out and we've fully upgraded Spider-Man. Hoping for the best.

I don’t know what you’re talking about the original Halo trilogy’s amazing.
You must not like any arcade or arena shooters.

You’re misinterpreting my post...no where did I say Halo wasn’t good, I was stating what the designers of the game said in an interview/how the formula came to be. Just because something is repetitive doesn’t mean it can’t be fun/cause you to lose hours of time.

I’m saying the same could potentially happen with this game. In the development phase, Insomniac could have taken the Bungie approach and crafted a fun experience, in the play box phase, and refine it for an entire experience. The combat could be deeper, the swinging could change slightly thanks to upgrades etc etc.

So while the guy of that article did a good job stating why the game doesn’t resonate with him, he’s also thinking the demo is end all-be all and that just because the game is repetitive it won’t be fun.

This video takes care of another worry I had. I feared we'd have to wait for the swing/acrobatic animation to be over, before you can shoot another web-line. That's what bothered me in Amazing Spider-Man. But it looks like you can almost immediately shoot another web-line, after you let go of your current one.

[YT]98ytCxjzEMA[/YT]

This video takes care of another worry I had. I feared we'd have to wait for the swing/acrobatic animation to be over, before you can shoot another web-line. That's what bothered me in Amazing Spider-Man. But it looks like you can almost immediately shoot another web-line, after you let go of your current one.

[YT]98ytCxjzEMA[/YT]

Yup, I guess it depends on how fast you go and when you let your web-line go. If you swing slowly you can probably chain web-line after web-line very quickly. If you go fast and gain momentum you'll send Spider-Man flying and covering big distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"