Stan Lee shouldn't get credit for the creation of the Silver Surfer!

50yroldfffan

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm saddend that fans of the "soon to a theater near you" FF2 will not give credit to the true creater and genius behind the character the Silver Surfer. I fear all the credit will go to Stan Lee, credit that will be totaly misplaced.
If we are to believe the following from one of my favorite books "Tales to Astonish" by Ronin Ro
"a primer on the life of one of america's most important and under -appreaciated artist" -st. Lous post-dispatch (Jack Kirby)
and I qoute from page 99...When Stan saw the Surfer in his pages, (Jacks art for FF issue 48) he asked, "Who the hells this?"
"I figured anybody as powerful as Galactus ought to have a herald who would go ahead and find planets," Jack replied.
"Thats a great idea!" said Stan.
So you can see who the true creater of the Surfer is, I just hope Jacks in Stans thoughts as he takes his bows for what I think is going to be a big hit this summer.
Not enough credit is given to the true genius behind the Marvel Universe and it's wonderfull super heroes, from the mind of a genius to paper and now to the cgi splender of the big screen "Long live the King!"

I'm sure Kirby won't be overlooked. He was mentioned as Co-Creator on the first film's credits. ;)

The Surfer is the epitomy of Kirby's work: Simple in design, yet awesome beyond comprehension.

He'd better get credit.

50yroldfffan said:
I'm saddend that fans of the "soon to a theater near you" FF2 will not give credit to the true creater and genius behind the character the Silver Surfer. I fear all the credit will go to Stan Lee, credit that will be totaly misplaced.
If we are to believe the following from one of my favorite books "Tales to Astonish" by Ronin Ro
"a primer on the life of one of america's most important and under -appreaciated artist" -st. Lous post-dispatch (Jack Kirby)
and I qoute from page 99...When Stan saw the Surfer in his pages, (Jacks art for FF issue 48) he asked, "Who the hells this?"
"I figured anybody as powerful as Galactus ought to have a herald who would go ahead and find planets," Jack replied.
So you can see who the true creater of the Surfer is, I just hope Jacks in Stans thoughts as he takes his bows for what I think is going to be a big hit this summer.
Not enough credit is given to the true genius behind the Marvel Universe and it's wonderfull super heroes, from the mind of a genius to paper and now to the cgi splender of the big screen "Long live the King!"
Stan lee is just like Thomas Edison, too much undeserved credit already.

I seem to remember Stan crediting Jack with the concept of SS....think it was in one of his bios...

Black Panther as well.

Thats all cool but I still have a small problem with that, Jack was the artist, these images and creation's came from Jacks pencil's he deserves way more credit. Sadly if you read the above mentioned book you'll realize how big Kirby's contribution was to Marvel and it's other artist's and how little credit and compensation he got for it. Not to mention the lose of much of his original art work.
I read (I think in Wizard magazine) that Stan said the Surfer was one of his favorite creations. If thats true and he said that. What he should have said (if you believe what was written in the book) was one of his favorite Jack Kirby creations was the Silver Surfer.
Lightning Strikez! said:
I'm sure Kirby won't be overlooked. He was mentioned as Co-Creator on the first film's credits. ;)

Hope that's true Captain, I guess I put up this post for all the young fans out there who doen't know how big the King realy was and how his style still influences the world of comic art. I will give Stan credit for his writing. Something the book does thru out. Again I recomend the book to all you Marvel fans out there you'll love it.
Peace!
CaptainStacy said:
I seem to remember Stan crediting Jack with the concept of SS....think it was in one of his bios...

Black Panther as well.

Well said mighty Ferret!
SuperFerret said:
The Surfer is the epitomy of Kirby's work: Simple in design, yet awesome beyond comprehension.

He'd better get credit.

Give Stan the man a break will ya?
It’s not his fault if he's always the right place at the right time.

50yroldfffan said:

It's very common knowledge to comics fans that Jack created the Surfer.
But- at the same time, you're discounting that Stan Lee developed the Surfer through his writing into the favorite that he's become. And it isn't as if Kirby didn't take undo credit. Such saying he created the Hulk after watchinga woman lift a car off of her child. The Hulk wasn't rage based until long after Jack stopped working on him. Jack also took credit from Steve Ditko for Spider-Man's design. Jack was a singular talent, and he certainly deserves equal credit with Lee for creating the Marvel Universe. But it was a COLLABORATIVE EFFORT. And Jack needed Lee to guide him, as evidenced by when they separated. Jack never created on his own anything rivalling his work with Lee.

True, you're crazy if you think Stan Lee shouldn't and isn't going to get credit. You have to have stories and character development behind the art, you can't just slap a character on a page and think it's going to breath life into itself. That's where Mr. Lee comes in.
I'm sure Kirby won't be overlooked. He was mentioned as Co-Creator on the first film's credits.
Indeed, of course he will.

Galactuspencils.gif

http://www.pigdogproductions.com/jack%20kirby.html

Jack%20Kirby.jpg
KirbySilverSurfer.jpg

Dragon said:
It's very common knowledge to comics fans that Jack created the Surfer.
But- at the same time, you're discounting that Stan Lee developed the Surfer through his writing into the favorite that he's become. And it isn't as if Kirby didn't take undo credit. Such saying he created the Hulk after watchinga woman lift a car off of her child. The Hulk wasn't rage based until long after Jack stopped working on him. Jack also took credit from Steve Ditko for Spider-Man's design. Jack was a singular talent, and he certainly deserves equal credit with Lee for creating the Marvel Universe. But it was a COLLABORATIVE EFFORT. And Jack needed Lee to guide him, as evidenced by when they separated. Jack never created on his own anything rivalling his work with Lee.

Must disagree on your last point.

Kirby's Fourth World series still lives on and has gained popularity in animation as well......(i.e. STAS, JL & JLU)

Darkseid.png

Memphis Slim said:
Must disagree on your last point.

Kirby's Fourth World series still lives on and has gained popularity in animation as well......(i.e. STAS, JL & JLU)

Darkseid.png

Very true. Darkseid went on to become one of DC's most popular villains.

Have you guys ever seen the tribute episode STAS did for Kirby? If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, then man, you have no heart.

Kirby will most likely get shared credit, as he did for the other characters he co-created with Lee. Lee wrote the origin story, so he deserves credit, at least as co-creator.

I think some of you are making it more than it really is. Stan has not forgot his roots. He talks about the foundation of Marvel and those that was involved in the beginning, all the time. Yes Jack Kirby is going to get some credit. Don't be a StanHater, be an Congradulater.

Jack Kirby deserves -at the very least- 50% of the credit for the existence of the FF and every character created in the pages of FF through issue #102. Period.

Stan may have dialogued the finished pages, but it was largely Jack that "wrote" them with pictures and words of his own. I'm certain of this because of all the Kirby original pages I've seen (and a few that I own) which have Jack's story directions and dialogue suggestions written in blue pencil all around the margins.
Stan says they "discussed" or "worked out" the story (very roughly) and then Jack drew the stories and Lee would write the dialogue after the fact. This is basically true, but it's very easy to get an exaggerated idea of how much Stan actually did.

Not trying to take away from Stan. But it sure would be great if the Truth were more popularly known. And I don't fault Stan that much; in fact, he has been very outspoken about giving credit where credit is due in the last 10-15 years.

Dragon said:
And Jack needed Lee to guide him, as evidenced by when they separated. Jack never created on his own anything rivalling his work with Lee.

Um, Fourth World.

And before Marvel? Kirby created or co-created Captain America, Boy Commandos, Newsboy Legion, The Fly, Manhunter, Challengers of the Unknown, etc etc etc

By comparison, Lee's output before and after Jack was fairly minimal.

kirby is responsible for how surfer looks but imho stan is responsible for how he feels just like ditko and spider-man.

Diamondhead said:
Give Stan the man a break will ya?
It’s not his fault if he's always the right place at the right time.

Hah, Stan was the suit, the inside man, the editor, family connections to the moneybag, all that, it was all of these things that rubbed kirby the worng way after a while.

Kirby always worked exceedingly hard but always felt underappreciated financilly and otherwise. THe Jack Kirby collector once described a situation that showed that Kirby really hated editor types living off his creativity. So that explains some of his issues with Stan as stan really was the Man (the Suit) at Marvel.

Nevertheless Stan's role was often underappreciated. Heck he sued Marvel a couple of years ago.

I love Stan though, he is the ultimate fanboy.

I miss Jack, and Joe Sinnot (Where are you Joe) and John Buscema and all the greats who contributed to the greatness of these characters. Someday when Marvel is rolling in the dough I hope they look around at some of the aging creators and give something back, yeah do it even if you don't have to.

These guys created a world that we played in as kids, kept us from going crazy sometimes (I think) and for that I say thanks.

highguard said:
These guys created a world that we played in as kids, kept us from going crazy sometimes (I think) and for that I say thanks.

Aggred. The one thing that has been eating at me thou. They made a huge fuss about the Gallery where Ben and Alecia met, being a tribute and named after Kirby. Why was that all cut out, and reshot as Ben meeting Alecia at a bar ? :huh: Something smells fishy there. Can someone, anyone explain that to me ?

Carp Man said:
Aggred. The one thing that has been eating at me thou. They made a huge fuss about the Gallery where Ben and Alecia met, being a tribute and named after Kirby. Why was that all cut out, and reshot as Ben meeting Alecia at a bar ? :huh: Something smells fishy there. Can someone, anyone explain that to me ?
The meeting at the Kirby Gallery is after their meeting at the bar. The seduction scene at Alicia's studio was very nice, too bad they cut it.

Antonello Blueberry said:
The meeting at the Kirby Gallery is after their meeting at the bar. The seduction scene at Alicia's studio was very nice, too bad they cut it.

Ok. Cool. That does not answer the question thou of WHY it was cut, after all the fuss made over how it was going to be a tribut to Kirby ? Think that question goes along with the whole Kirby getting credit discussion.

Stan gave the surfer his origin, if Jack had his way there would have been no "Norrin Radd"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"