Star Trek Beyond - Part 4

I really liked it, as well. But yep. I agree on all you've said.

The 'mystery box' only applies if you were following the production and trying to find out who Benedict Cumberbatch was going to play. I didn't pay attention to all that stuff and just waited for the movie to come out, and wasn't disappointed.

Still ******** about Abrams not saying he was Khan prior to the release? Why should he? Why not just find out in theaters. Man, people feel really entitled these days....

The problem is that they played it as a mystery in the film. It's played as a trvrsl but the characters them selves have no reason to Cate, so they have to have Old Spock explain why they should care. The mystery box approach is approach not just to marketing but to writing and it often fails. The phasis is on having twists rather than actually being character focused or even on having a coherent plot

What can I say, I loved the movie.

I like the first two acts of STID. But not the third. I still enjoy it overall.

I found Beyond to be ordinary.

STID is my fave reboot film

I have all three on Blu-Ray and I like them, though IMO STID was the weakest, they made a decent comeback with Beyond.

All the actors I like in their roles and I would have loved to see Jaylah take over for Chekov in a fourth movie, if they ever do it. But Quinto is right. The horrible mismanagement of Beyond and the lack of celebrration for the 50th may have quashed future movies.

I don't enjoy any of the Kelvin films, but Into Darkness is the least bad for me because of Cumberbatch. Hate what they did with Khan, but he was fun to watch in the role.

Beyond I think is the worst and doesn't get anything right. Even Giacchino's score for it is intolerable (I hate "Night on the Yorktown"), which was usually one of the few good things about the previous films.

Last edited:
It was definitely a mistake by not revealing Cumberbatch was Khan. Retroactively looking back, the 2009 first film didn't make enough to justify the secret. Paramount should have vetoed Abrams's choice to do so.

Then again, Paramount also botched the 50th anniversary of the franchise. I mean, damn. An anniversary is the easiest marketing campaign ever and they botched it. But as long as they have Transformers, I guess they feel they're good to do whatever.

cant say the khan thng was a mistake that movie made bank unlike beyond

cant say the khan thng was a mistake that movie made bank unlike beyond

I think that was just carryover from the warm reception of the first film. STID could've probably made more had it been a better film, and its mixed reception is (in my mind) a big part of why Beyond failed at the box office (along with the almost nonexistent marketing).

I just hope they'll make a proper fricking "STAR TREK" movie next time.

They totally wasted this great cast on these silly space action movies. Give me some deep f***ing intellectual sci-fi, man I'm so mad when it comes to these Abrams' reboot films. The first one was great intro space adventure film to start the franchise, those others, just erase them from the face of the multiverse.
30.gif
37.gif

I just hope they'll make a proper fricking "STAR TREK" movie next time.

They totally wasted this great cast on these silly space action movies. Give me some deep f***ing intellectual sci-fi, man I'm so mad when it comes to these Abrams' reboot films. The first one was great intro space adventure film to start the franchise, those others, just erase them from the face of the multiverse.
30.gif
37.gif

You do realize that of the old films only two (TMP and Voyage Home) aren't action films.

Yup, I'm not saying I like the older ST movies. :woot: I mean, I absolutely love TMP, and Voyage Home was really good too, yea, these two are pretty much what ST is about for me. I'd love to see something like that again. More mind melding, less fist fighting. Man I hate that STID ending so much... :cmad: :funny: It really shows Abrams knows **** about what ST is supposed to be.

Yup, I'm not saying I like the older ST movies. :woot: I mean, I absolutely love TMP, and Voyage Home was really good too, yea, these two are pretty much what ST is about for me. I'd love to see something like that again. More mind melding, less fist fighting. Man I hate that STID ending so much... :cmad: :funny: It really shows Abrams knows **** about what ST is supposed to be.

[YT]KMDAh-n12Wc[/YT]

Got it? :o

Abrams' Star Trek rocks!! :djs:
And Dan Mindel's cinematography is just frikkin' beautiful. I wanna make love to those lens flares! :hmr:

Is "This is not your father's Star Trek" an euphemism for "we don't understand the true nature of the material and cannot write profound enough stuff so we'll use this somewhat recognizable name as a vehicle to make some buck"? Yea, got it. :hehe:

Nah, it stands for "This rocks, and you'll want to make love to our lens flares... and our Uhura... and our female aliens... and our Carol Marcus. This frikkin' rocks!"

Life's difficult in 2017, I know. It's not black and white anymore. There are lots of grey zones.

I'll be honest I was never a fan of ST until the Abrams movies. I did watch TNG as a kid but didn't have the fondness for it like I did other shows back then.

ST'09 is a fantastic adventure movie (and TOS was of course an adventure show first and foremost, let's not forget), and STB especially taps into the classic TOS feel in a big way.

Last edited:
ST'09 is a fantastic adventure movie (and TOS was of course an adventure show first and foremost, let's not forget), and STB especially taps into the classic TOS film in a big way.

Yup.

Personally, I never got into the Star Trek series and movies beyond the ones featuring the original cast (and the recent movies).

The others always felt way too sterile and cold to me, and the characters way too robotic. I can understand why fans of The Next Generation etc. might have a problem with the new version.

But it's okay to like different takes on the material. There's no reason to trash J.J. Abrams & Co. just because you prefer another iteration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"