Star Trek Beyond - Part 4

I think Justin Lin was a bad choice for director of a Star Trek movie. Isn't he mostly known for actioney fast and the furious movies? Just seems very strange...I had a lot of issues with ST Beyonds pacing, story...everything and I think it's the worst one yet. Felt very hollywood, very generic. I feel like they are killing off this reboot franchise while its in its infancy and it's a shame.

For as much has we like to wring our hands about thoughtful science fiction, the original series is like 45% judo chops and ripped shirts.

I think Lins directing was pretty good overall, especially when handling the split up characters and everything involving the giant Yorketown Space station. The script could have used another draft or two to develop it's ideas. It was written very quickly and it shows.

Star Trek Beyond was damn good for me. It was a lot better than the trailers made it look

I enjoyed the character interactions

I think Justin Lin was a bad choice for director of a Star Trek movie. Isn't he mostly known for actioney fast and the furious movies? Just seems very strange...I had a lot of issues with ST Beyonds pacing, story...everything and I think it's the worst one yet. Felt very hollywood, very generic. I feel like they are killing off this reboot franchise while its in its infancy and it's a shame.
You are entitled to your opinion.
I consider Beyond the best of the three films.

I think Beyond was an improvement over STID, but not a big one. All of these movies feel like they have the same third act... "Race back to Earth (or a space station) before the bad guy kills everybody!" And all three villains were motivated by vengeance more or less against Starfleet.

I feel like STID killed the momentum this franchise had going, and then this film almost felt like an afterthought. Too little, too late. It's a shame because the cast is perfect. But they don't seem to know what to do with them. Is there going to be a fourth film? I remember them talking about it before the release of Beyond (and bringing back George Kirk for some reason) but I haven't heard whether that's still happening.

Agree that they squandered a great cast. They could have done any story they wanted to for the second film, but instead opted for a retread of a story they'd already told. A real shame.

Well on a positive note if they do decide to use the Kelvinverse again, at least the franchise will have ended on a good note instead of a Batman and Robin type situation.

I watched this again this past week for the first time since theaters. I was never a Star Trek guy but LOVED Abrams' films amd with that said was pretty let down by Beyond in theaters. It just felt so..."meh" to me. It was lacking something from the Abrams movies. I liked it a lot better thw second time but Abrams' movies had something i cant quite pinpoint that just made those movies so damn exciting and kinetic. I also think Abrams handled the team banter better than Lin too.

I think its interesting though how it seems like most ST fans have rejected Abrams' movies and hail Beyond as the best of the trilogy.

Last edited:
I watched this again this past week for the first time since theaters. I was never a Star Trek guy but LOVED Abrams' films amd with that said was pretty let down by Beyond in theaters. It just felt so..."meh" to me. It was lacking something from the Abrams movies. I liked it a lot better thw second time but Abrams' movies had something i cant quite pinpoint that just made those movies so damn exciting and kinetic. I also think Abrams handled the team banter better than Lin too.

I think its interesting though how it seems like most ST fans have rejected Abrams' movies and hail Beyond as the best of the trilogy.

Abrams just brought an overall amazing energy to the two Star Trek movies. It's hard to follow up on that. And while Justin Lin did a pretty good job, I don't think as highly of him as others do (his Fast & Furious movies peaked with Fast Five, IMO, all the others were pretty forgettable - including the sixth).

Abrams just brought an overall amazing energy to the two Star Trek movies. It's hard to follow up on that. And while Justin Lin did a pretty good job, I don't think as highly of him as others do (his Fast & Furious movies peaked with Fast Five, IMO, all the others were pretty forgettable - including the sixth).

Not seen the F&F movie, but agree with the rest. Abrams moviesjust had a grandeur to them Lin couldn't quite match. Lin still did well though imo.

It's a real shame if we don't get more from this cast.

Not seen the F&F movie, but agree with the rest. Abrams moviesjust had a grandeur to them Lin couldn't quite match. Lin still did well though imo.

Watch Fast 5. It's amazing.

But Lin is strange when he's NOT directing FF movies.

His True Detective (season 2) episodes were so-so, and his Trek was..sloppy.

It is kinda weird that a trilogy for a film series is seen as not fulfilling full potential these days.

In the recent past a trilogy or three films was seen as the perfect way to wrap-up a series but with the endless sequels now anything less than X amount of sequels is seen as a disappointment.

If Beyond was set-up to be the conclusion for the kelvin timeline it might have ironically done better at the BO.

It is kinda weird that a trilogy for a film series is seen as not fulfilling full potential these days.

In the recent past a trilogy or three films was seen as the perfect way to wrap-up a series but with the endless sequels now anything less than X amount of sequels is seen as a disappointment.

If Beyond was set-up to be the conclusion for the kelvin timeline it might have ironically done better at the BO.

It's because we're in a radically different market now, and Hollywood is still trying to figure it out. I'm not saying that it's easy or risky, but in due time.

There was a study I heard on NPR that 17-24 age market are not going to see movies anymore. But what's fascinating is that the generation after that (now teens and younger) might be bigger film goers. It's because 17-24 year olds now are caught in the whirlwind of social media, youtube, streaming, and torrents, and it'll slow down in future generations.

There was a study I heard on NPR that 17-24 age market are not going to see movies anymore. But what's fascinating is that the generation after that (now teens and younger) might be bigger film goers. It's because 17-24 year olds now are caught in the whirlwind of social media, youtube, streaming, and torrents

What a f***d up generation. :funny:

Or something like that.

It sorta make sense.

I'd rather pay eight dollars a month for Netflix and Hulu and Amazon than over a hundred dollars a month on movies that just keep sucking and that you forget in a week. And this is still coming from the fact that 2017 has been a much better year than last.

Even the week by week output is staggering. Guardians 2, as good as it was, feels like a distant memory. But there are exceptions. I think WW will last longer and dominate June because it gets to another level and timing of course.

Yeah, with the whole distant memory thing - and a lot of things that become viral or memes are TV shows now, not movies. That's because of the accessibleness of shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"