Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Trek, just like Batman and James Bond has to grow and adapt to endure. It was more than just the trekkies that lined up to see the first one and that is where the money is at....getting people who'd never see a Star Trek movie or watch a show to buy a ticket. This version has managed to do that. That crowd isn't going to sit through a movie about exploration.
I've seen parts of many of the films as a kid but this new Abrams reboot is when I've properly jumped on board. If they keep up this quality I'll be watching and buying all the future films.

I don't see how Trekkies can moan about the new movies.

The new movies have made me interested in the older ones and the older series, surely thats the intent with a new audience.

Because a lot of people won't be watching the shows and earlier films since they aren't the star wars Influenced product Abrams tried to turn Trek Into.
The connections between new films and Classic Trek Is because of the writers
not Abrams.

Paramount Is with marketing taking the Trekkers for granted and Is trying to appeal to nonfans with marketing.If Trek 2009 couldn't appeal to foreign audences the heavy focus on Harrison In marketing Isn't going to change It.

Not sure if this got posted (so apologies if it did), but I found this pretty funny.... and the fact that it's Benedict's voice, well... I have been one to admit, the man could read a phone book and I'd be happy listening :lol:

Note: The little 'credits' they have roll at the end of this 'clip' could be considered spoilers since they don't reference Benedict as John Harrison.... so....yeah:

Conan O'Brien: EXCLUSIVE: New "Star Trek Into Darkness" Clip Is Pretty Dry

Also... have my tickets for next Saturday morning reserved *woohoo*!!!

Because a lot of people won't be watching the shows and earlier films since they aren't the star wars Influenced product Abrams tried to turn Trek Into.
The connections between new films and Classic Trek Is because of the writers
not Abrams.

Paramount Is with marketing taking the Trekkers for granted and Is trying to appeal to nonfans with marketing.If Trek 2009 couldn't appeal to foreign audences the heavy focus on Harrison In marketing Isn't going to change It.

but they aren't supposed to...it's a reboot. Did anyone go watch the '66 Batman because of The Dark Knight?

and while the writers may have written connections into these films they are not the be all end all of a film...that is the director. Writer's don't put details into scripts like having a tribble on Scotty's desk or that the one guy who died during the space jump was wearing a red suit.

Paramount is not concerned with the Trekkers/Trekees, in the same way that Marvel is not concerned with the fanboys: they account for a very small percentage of the box office revenue. They are concerned with the general audience, and will do what it takes to fill seats.

if Trekkies/Trekkers were the main market for this film then we'd be watching the next adventure with Jean Luc and company.

if Trekkies/Trekkers were the main market for this film then we'd be watching the next adventure with Jean Luc and company.

LOL... and the crew going against a million cyborgs with laser beams for eyes!

I love TOS and as I go back and watch the original movies and tv shows I notice that some of my nitpicks over the new movie disappear because they have a basis in the original stories....for instance...the shifter that Sulu uses to control the ship. I wasnt a fan of that...then I watched Star Trek the Motion Picture and guess what Sulu uses to maneuver the ship...a shifter.

Plinkett said it best: the crew of the Next Generation were not designed for big action films. Trying to convert them into action heroes results in a loss of what makes them unique: Picard goes from a man of the Renaissance to a bloodthirsty lunatic.

Plinkett said it best: the crew of the Next Generation were not designed for big action films. Trying to convert them into action heroes results in a loss of what makes them unique: Picard goes from a man of the Renaissance to a bloodthirsty lunatic.

I agree with this...they have Riker and Worf...there's no need to make Picard the action hero. Have Picard lead the ship to ship battles and Riker go punch people.

I gotta say i started watching the old show after the 2009 reboot, and i kind of prefer the old show, i remember feeling like the 2009 film was a little limited and too fast paced. Either way i'm excited about Into Darkness, did anybody from the premiere reveal if the villain was Garry Mitchell?

Poster by Rhys Cooper from Gallery 1988.
Rhys-Cooper-Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Variant.jpg

I get to see this in a couple hours!

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it JMC!

Slight change of plans, was going to the first morning session but somethings come up so I'll have to catch the afternoon session later today.

Well Guys, it was actually pretty good... And my GOD, Benedict was fricking awesome!

Finally off to see it. By the way, anyone else thing there was a missed opportunity to emphasis it was the second film in the series by calling it 'Star Trek In2 Darkness'? :hehe:

Maybe if it was being written by a thirteen year old girl.

Just watched it, I have way too much to say yet not enough energy to say it right now, but it was excellent, theres nothing in here to turn the detractors and it's a lot less "crowd pleasing" as the first, but in my opinion as far as actual films go (as opposed to trek films) it's definitely top 3 if not the best. Yes it's still more akin to the charming dumb blonde of the trek films, but it's definitely the one you'll have the most fun with.

Just saw it as well and it is a good fun film and alot better than the first one. Benedict is just as great as you'd suspect. The threat is very real. There's some big scope action. I don't think many will be disappointed.

Review as follows.

It's been four long years since our first journey with the new crew of the Enterprise, and man has it been worth the wait. JJ Abrams follows up his first outing with the new crew with a second adventure that is more than equal to its predecessor.

The title Into Darkness is possibly a little misleading because the tone of the film isn't all that different from film one, if anything the opening sequence points to the exact opposite, but where characters go on a personal level fits perfectly with it. This is a film about actions and the consequences that come from them. Kirk's actions in the opening sequence and events in between films have landed him in hot water. His blatant disregard for authority and arrogance toward the prime directive sees him reprimanded by Star Fleet resulting in demotion. His back seat doesn't last long however, when John Harrison strikes against both London and Star Fleet Kirk virtually demands he be the one to hunt him down.

What follows is best left unspoiled, but the journey the characters go on is quite riveting. Kirk's original intent is to kill Harrison, but it's during the journey and eventual capture of him Kirk's attitude begins to change from one of dismissal of Star Fleet's principles to one that understands their importance. Kirk's journey is about him actually knowing what it means to be a captain. It's not just about the fact you get to sit in the chair, it's about the choices you make whilst in the chair and what that chair stands for. Pine is good but I still can't help but feel he doesn't quit fit into this role all that well, he still give a great performance however.

Spock's arc is especially interesting, throughout the course of the film we get under the surface of a Vulcan character like we've never one before. For starters he's got relationship issues with Uruha. Emotions have always been a part of Vulcan history, but for the first real time on film it's explored in a way that really delves into the why's. The arc comes into full effect later on when he realized the value of Kirk's friendship. Zach Quinto seems to be the one actor in this series that has genuinely made the rebooted character his own.

Rest of the cast is good but doesn't have a lot else to do. Karl Uban as Bones doesn't have a lot of screen time but has some typically good one-liners to quip. Simon Pegg as Scotty is hilarious as always. Mr Sulu gets a run in the captains chair, whilst Mr Chekov is virtually a background character. Alice Eve is well, there, for no other reason other than she's hot I guess, she didn't have much to do, but was pretty to look at and had a totally pointless underwear shot, so I'm not complaining lol.

Best thing about the cast is without a doubt Benedict Chamberbatch. He is without doubt one of the coldest and frankly most terrifying bad guys in recent years for a mainstream film. His face is a constant mix of hate, contempt, arrogance, and is virtually made of stone throughout the entire movie. It's almost unnerving the way he speaks, he has this gravely monotone voice that would suit a serial killer. This guy would totally destroy you, your entire family and your pet cat up without a second thought, and yet you can't look away. He alone makes this film better than it's predecessor which lacked a good villain.

The films climax is without a doubt the highlight, the emotions run extremely high and for the last half an hour I was on the edge of my seat. There's so much more at stake this time around than the last film when the Enterprise is critically hit but unfortunately it loses its steam for reasons that will become obvious to many.

On the technical side, people will be happy to know the lens flair issues have been reduced substantially, and the effects are outstanding. The scene's in London really give off a Children of Men vibe in their subtlety, it's the future but it's not screaming out 'hey look at me'. We also get our first look at the Klingons in this series, and whilst we only get a brief glimpse it's really only a subtle redesign which shouldn't enrage too many people, the Bird of Prey though does get a decent overhaul though does retain the spirit of the original design.

Downsides, they are few but there were some cheesy moments early on, a couple of eye rolls here and there, and a few logic issues which had me scratching my head, and honestly I didn't really care all that much for the opening sequence. It's that stuff you kinda just accept with these type of movies and whether they call attention to themselves depends entirely on the film. It's a very well paced movie, there's never a moment that really drags out longer than it should. I do have an issue with the ending but I'll get to that when the film starts opening up to more places.

Overall I struggle to see how anyone who didn't enjoy the first film won't walk away from this one equally satisfied if not more so. It's fun but it's also got something to say, and importantly it has heart. Where things boldly go from here is anyone's guess, but here's hoping JJ Abrams is involved in some capacity.

8.5/10

I don't see how Trekkies can moan about the new movies.

The new movies have made me interested in the older ones and the older series, surely thats the intent with a new audience.

Some people (whether they be Trekkies or comic book fanboys) will moan and complain about anything. I've been a fan of Trek since the 60's when I watched it first run...and I loved the new Trek movie and the next one looks great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"