Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people (whether they be Trekkies or comic book fanboys) will moan and complain about anything. I've been a fan of Trek since the 60's when I watched it first run...and I loved the new Trek movie and the next one looks great too.

Trekkies are the original nitpicky fanboy.

Well, I've seen it. Loved it, but just from a movie fan point of view, I do have my gripes, along with a BIG one in particular.

Still though, superb overall :)

I can't wait to see this film, the first film was great and I really like this cast.

It's so crazy how at the beginning of the week, it was at a 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, and now it's at an 89! I hope it stays in that region, high or mid 80's if not higher. I know this is trivial but I guess I'm a JJ cheerleader.

Personally I've always been entertained by the degree to which fandom debates of "cannon" are reflected in the religious debates from which the term is derived.

It's one of those things where as a fanboy/geek/ you gotta gauge your tolerance. I have a bud who likes Star Trek as a whole. He liked JJ's Star Trek but doesnt' see them as 'Star Trek proper'. But he enjoyed it.

But I don't get the hate, per say. I guess I know where they're coming from, but I don't know if they can defend 'Star Trek proper' when it had 'Enterprise' as its last hurrah. Just because it's proper Star Trek?

The reality is, that after viewing the old movies - they are boring as hell.

Even WOK, the villian is made out to be this bad ass superhuman and quite frankly doesn't do a lot.

Being a Trek fan, I did love the canon. But eventually, it was suffocating the series.

But I do love that JJ and co have just decided to make sure that they create something FUN with enjoyable characters. Something Trek had been without for a good while.

Last edited:
I just feel a lot more, and a lot more fun, can be done with the characters than dealing with yet another revenge plot.

The most successful Trek film prior to the 09 film didn't even really have a villain.

Yeah, I will never forget the state of trek pretty much in between first contact and JJ's film. For the most part it just wasn't right. Im very happy with whats going on and have no problem with the fun being amped up, and honestly my favorite trek movies are very fun to me.

Even WOK, the villian is made out to be this bad ass superhuman and quite frankly doesn't do a lot.

I love WOK, but that's after seeing JJ's Star Trek. Seriously it was the gateway for me and I have a newfound respect for the franchise. I didn't grow up with Star Trek after all; like MOST people (generally speaking) I was A STAR WARS NUT! Star Trek is more cerebral and dare I say, more of an acquired taste.

That being said, WOK is a great movie, but I think I respect of it legacy more than liking it, if that makes sense. Like what you said, Khan doesn't do a whole lot. After his intro, you just cut back to him and forth throughout the movie. Ricardo was great as Khan, but I never really got his 'vengeance' angle. I guess he got screwed over by Kirk but he did agree to stay on that planet. And the movie is very small small-scale. Which is fine.

WOK is not accessible of a film where as 'Empire Strikes Back' is. If i showed WOK to my nephews and nieces, I think they would be bored. But if it's A New Hope, they're all over it like white on rice!

That's just how it is, and that's the contrast. Star Trek is just more adult. It was built and design like that. Besides the 60's sexiness of the original series, it's meant to be cool and it wore it like a badge. The cool kids were into Star Wars. haha.

I enjoy the submarine like space combat in WOK These are giant ships not Xwings. Nautical style warfare can lend itself to an exciting film if done right.

It is fair to say WOK is less accessible mostly because it is very much focused on the characters aging and facing mortality. It relies very much on an investment in the characters and is also not necessarily something that immediately would appeal to kids.

I think trek can still be fun without having to shove it into some mythic, heroes journey, star wars mode.

Even the 09 film received complaints of being "too sci-fi, too Trekkie" as one producer described it in a recent interview.

If you're going to avoid the things that make Star Trek Star Trek, what really is the point? Why let what makes the property unique fall by the wayside to find some global lowest common denominator?

Last edited:

I enjoyed
"Wrath of Kahn"
"Search for Spock"
"The Voyage Home" - The most hilarious movie that pays homage to the tv series comedy.
"The Undiscovered Country"
"First Contact"
"Insurrection"

Of the old films the best villains IMO were (Khan, Klingon General Chang (Christopher Plummer), The Borg Queen and Ahdar Ru'afo in Insurrection)

Plummer is pretty awesome in the Undiscovered Country. I think they may have gone a bit far with all the the Shakespeare though.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy them, because I did. But I just don't get how they are held with such high regard.

I guess thats why I'm not a 'Trekkie'.

I enjoy the submarine like space combat in WOK These are giant ships not Xwings. Nautical style warfare can lend itself to an exciting film if done right.

It is fair to say WOK is less accessible mostly because it is very much focused on the characters aging and facing mortality. It relies very much on an investment in the characters and is also not necessarily something that immediately would appeal to kids.

I think trek can still be fun without having to shove it into some mythic, heroes journey, star wars mode.

Even the 09 film received complaints of being "too sci-fi, too Trekkie" as one producer described it in a recent interview.

If you're going to avoid the things that make Star Trek Star Trek, what really is the point? Why let what makes the property unique fall by the wayside to find some global lowest common denominator?

I mean, I agree that the marketing has been a mixed bag.

I think it was Paramont's head of marketing who was talking about Trek being too 'sci-fi' and not appealing to the rest of the world. Star Trek isn't big globally and still has a weird stigma even after JJ's Star Trek. I don't know why but that's how it is.

It's a double edged sword because now the market has grown and the out of the US matters as much as the domestic box office. So they HAVE to cater to the world but I think the studio made too many compromises this time around.

Paramont watered down the 'Trekiness' on ads which I didn't like because they just didn't it for overseas but here in the US as well. It was the wrong approach. We didn't get any 'Treky' ads in the US until the last trailer and the last two posters.

Plummer is pretty awesome in the Undiscovered Country. I think they may have gone a bit far with all the the Shakespeare though.

As far as I know, he's the only Klingon villain who I can remember who stood out in any of Star Trek lore. I loved his Shakespeare quotes.

That was the hilariousness of it. He was basically proclaiming Klingon as Shakespeare.

"CRY HAVOC AND LET'S SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!"

I Especially loved Spock's line "I'd give real money if you'd shut up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCJ-UGYns

Plummer sells every line.

I actually went to a showing of The Undiscovered Country last weekend at the St. Louis Science center.

Prior to the showing it wasn't announced which film was being shown, either Star Trek VI or Return of the Jedi.

It was decided via a formal debate about the cultural impacts of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises held by members of the Webster University debate team earlier on in the night.

It was kind of an odd crowd as a number of the people were Star Wars fans who thought Jedi was showing.

Still though there was a really good response with a lot of cheering and clapping, especially during the opening credits as each name came on. It was a bit like going to a midnight release...for a 20+ year old film. Overall it was a very good time.

Being a Trek fan, I did love the canon. But eventually, it was suffocating the series.

But I do love that JJ and co have just decided to make sure that they create something FUN with enjoyable characters. Something Trek had been without for a good while.

I look at the jaja movies as an alternate timeline...like the mirror mirror universe

Our nitpicks used to be things like whether Heisenberg uncertainty principles would prevent transporters from being possible or if we will ever be able to warp space. JJ makes it easy. Now it's things like supernovae destroying entire galaxies or Starfleet cadets becoming captain without having served a day in space or having worked their way up through the ranks to gain the qualities it takes to inspire a crew.

Star Trek used to inspire inventions from Apple. Now it looks like an invention of Apple.

As a fan of Star Trek for 4 decades, I'm really excited about Man of Steel.

We're at the point now where we're almost catching up with the tech of Star Trek. Well besides ships and teleporters. It was bound to happen.

It's funny how some fans (again, low tolerance levels) complain about the bridge in JJ's Star Trek yet the bridge - a number of times - look like crap in the old series and movies. Beige and arcade carpet is better? It's so baffling strange.

We're at the point now where we're almost catching up with the tech of Star Trek. Well besides ships and teleporters. It was bound to happen.

It's funny how some fans (again, low tolerance levels) complain about the bridge in JJ's Star Trek yet the bridge - a number of times - look like crap in the old series and movies. Beige and arcade carpet is better? It's so baffling strange.

Beige and arcade carpet was just as fashionable as white plastic is now. In a couple of decades the new bridge will look just as ridiculous. And for all we know, beige and arcade carpet could be back in fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"