Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

This episode was ST:D as usual so it was ok to me. Its been 4 years now and even though Burnham is Captain now they dont really change how she goes about things. I didnt understand why she (or the writers) took Booker down to that planet instead of some of her actual crew and any of those that are trained to interact with new lifeforms. He's more important to the show than anyone on the ship and it continues to annoy me.

Burnham continues to be the most active captain ever where she has to do everything and is in almost every scene proving people wrong. I know I shouldnt but I continue to wait for this to become more of an ensemble show than the Burnham show. If they want Booker to be such an integral character than add him to Starfleet and get rid of other crew members. But I want more of the crew interacting and apart of the larger plots.
I agree with everything here. I really hope Saru comes back as an active crew member as well.

The premier was fine. This time around, it seems like they are leaning more into Roddenberry Optimism™ — e.g., some idealistic speechifying, more smiles and friendly banter on the bridge, etc. As to whether the season arc will hang together… :shrug:

At the very least, the show continues to look amazing.

This episode was ST:D as usual so it was ok to me. Its been 4 years now and even though Burnham is Captain now they dont really change how she goes about things. I didnt understand why she (or the writers) took Booker down to that planet instead of some of her actual crew and any of those that are trained to interact with new lifeforms. He's more important to the show than anyone on the ship and it continues to annoy me.

Burnham continues to be the most active captain ever where she has to do everything and is in almost every scene proving people wrong. I know I shouldnt but I continue to wait for this to become more of an ensemble show than the Burnham show. If they want Booker to be such an integral character than add him to Starfleet and get rid of other crew members. But I want more of the crew interacting and apart of the larger plots.

I think she was hoping that his emphatic connection with other lifeforms was something that could help in situations where you don't really know how the species is going to react. Especially species that likely no one in Discovery has ever met before.

Is season 4 still coming to Netflix in the UK? Don't think we have Paramount + here.

The premiere was alright and while the show still looks amazing I'm still finding it hard getting invested again after how much of a letdown Season 3 was, but I'm willing to give it another chance.

The premiere was alright and while the show still looks amazing I'm still finding it hard getting invested again after how much of a letdown Season 3 was, but I'm willing to give it another chance.

I feel like they are really squandering the potential that comes with sending the crew 500 years into the future. They've acclimated very fast, there's 1000s of races that have been discovered since their time and modified in technology yet the show is more focused on showing how great and game changing the crew/specifically Burnham are.

Finally got around to watching the premiere.. love the new Voyager J and glad we got a money shot of it in this episode. Visuals in this series are superb and the new uniforms are great. The visuals are this new Trek match jumping some 500 years in the future, but I agree that they aren't taking advantage of that. Even the new Federation President is part Cardassian/Bajoran/Human and I would love if they explored that even a little bit (an episode perhaps?). So badly wish there was an episodic approach to really flesh out this new universe they're all a part of now. I'll keep watching though

I made it 15 minutes into season 4 episode 1 and had to turn it off.
It is a truly dire show...

I did feel bored throughout the season premiere. I still don't find the Discovery characters have grown on me at all. Star Trek Strange New Worlds already has a more interesting and charismatic cast with even Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn.

I did feel bored throughout the season premiere. I still don't find the Discovery characters have grown on me at all. Star Trek Strange New Worlds already has a more interesting and charismatic cast with even Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn.
To me, that's the biggest downside of Discovery too. The cast has few standouts, like Doug Jones as Saru. But that's about it. Burnham is such a 'blah' character and I felt that the strongest moments of last season were when they focused the show elsewhere. I think even Joann & Keyla are stronger characters than Burnham and they hardly have any screentime (lol) but shine in the moments they share together.
eb74291d6a93623fab7e2ad1828922ebb16f4751.gifv

To me, that's the biggest downside of Discovery too. The cast has few standouts, like Doug Jones as Saru. But that's about it. Burnham is such a 'blah' character and I felt that the strongest moments of last season were when they focused the show elsewhere. I think even Joann & Keyla are stronger characters than Burnham and they hardly have any screentime (lol) but shine in the moments they share together.

I dont understand why they are just around for 1-liners and reaction shots. The crew doesnt feel like a crew since they are all so small to the stories.

I dont understand why they are just around for 1-liners and reaction shots. The crew doesnt feel like a crew since they are all so small to the stories.

It's a crime that Keyla Detmer isn't part of the main cast yet or hasn't had specific stories dedicated to her. If it were Deep Space Nine she would easily have had an episode, as would many others. Instead we've got Adira Tal in the main cast who is dull as ditchwater, as is her imaginary friend.

Really liked the season premier episode. The new uniforms look great and the story is intriguing.

How come no-one brings up how they have different uniforms to the end of last season where they were all in drab grey? Are they just sweeping that under the carpet?

How come no-one brings up how they have different uniforms to the end of last season where they were all in drab grey? Are they just sweeping that under the carpet?

What is there to bring up? Within the storyline 5 months have passed from the end of last season until the beginning of the new one. Clearly there has been a change in uniform in that time. In the real world, the change was made because the old uniforms blended in too much with the Discovery set.

Ah man that's crap! I didn't think much of season 3 though so not too distraught.

Yup. When it starts being Star Trek instead of Star Trek: Messiah aka Michael Burnham and some other people, let me know.

I mean she's Captain, because reasons, and in Ep1 she's apparently also the best pilot and the only one to save the ship....haven't seen that before.

Sadly, when the show first started I liked Burnham because she was a renegade but suddenly the writers decided she needed to be female space Jesus ( and that letting former Space Hitler join the team was a great idea) and solve every problem - just in time for a cry.

As such, there are bits of season 1 that I love....and plenty to hate. Like who gives Spock a ****ing learning disability ?

Hey, you talentless morons instead of retconning and shoehorning new characters around established stuff...come up with something ****ING NEW !

Anyway, if it gets better let me know, but after the awful season 3 I won't hold my breath.

Yup. When it starts being Star Trek instead of Star Trek: Messiah aka Michael Burnham and some other people, let me know.

I mean she's Captain, because reasons, and in Ep1 she's apparently also the best pilot and the only one to save the ship....haven't seen that before.

Sadly, when the show first started I liked Burnham because she was a renegade but suddenly the writers decided she needed to be female space Jesus ( and that letting former Space Hitler join the team was a great idea) and solve every problem - just in time for a cry.

As such, there are bits of season 1 that I love....and plenty to hate. Like who gives Spock a ****ing learning disability ?

Hey, you talentless morons instead of retconning and shoehorning new characters around established stuff...come up with something ****ING NEW !

Anyway, if it gets better let me know, but after the awful season 3 I won't hold my breath.

Was there anything about the show you didn't like though? :applaud

I jest. I too felt the last season was lacking and it's just too Burnham-centric.

Of course, there's always been a pivotal character in Star Trek series which has usually been the Captain - Kirk/Picard/Janeway/etc. - but usually they felt like a compelling, commanding character at the centre of the show and around which the rest of the crew orbit (no pun intended). And through their interactions and characterisations, the characters in those series built up unique camraderie which allowed each member of the team to shine as an individual.

I don't get that from Discovery. It feels very much like the Burnham show, and the rest of the characters are just there to fill seats. Asides from a couple, all very much replaceable. They keep pushing the notion of them being a great team but it doesn't feel natural, it feels forced and implemented via dialogue from Burnham followed by long camera shots of determined looking crew all glancing at each other as if the audience must be force fed the idea that they have each other's backs.

I also think Burnham as a character lacks many of the important traits that other Captains have possessed. I'm not sure if this is just down to how the character is written or if it's also how Sonequa Martin-Green plays it.

Well at least they did one thing right by throwing them into the future farther than we've previously seen. It never made sense to have that type of tech (spore drive) in the past with the OG Enterprise.

Was there anything about the show you didn't like though? :applaud

I jest. I too felt the last season was lacking and it's just too Burnham-centric.

Of course, there's always been a pivotal character in Star Trek series which has usually been the Captain - Kirk/Picard/Janeway/etc. - but usually they felt like a compelling, commanding character at the centre of the show and around which the rest of the crew orbit (no pun intended). And through their interactions and characterisations, the characters in those series built up unique camraderie which allowed each member of the team to shine as an individual.

I don't get that from Discovery. It feels very much like the Burnham show, and the rest of the characters are just there to fill seats. Asides from a couple, all very much replaceable. They keep pushing the notion of them being a great team but it doesn't feel natural, it feels forced and implemented via dialogue from Burnham followed by long camera shots of determined looking crew all glancing at each other as if the audience must be force fed the idea that they have each other's backs.

I also think Burnham as a character lacks many of the important traits that other Captains have possessed. I'm not sure if this is just down to how the character is written or if it's also how Sonequa Martin-Green plays it.

Here it is...... in "Amok Time" Kirk and Spock visit Vulcan, because Spock is experiencing Pon Farr and is seriously unwell. I think Kirk is actually disobeying orders to save his friend.

Once on the planet a complication occurs when Spock's mate essentially rejects him for another. Kirk and Spock have to fight each other gladiator style in front of Vulcan's de facto queen - and Spock believes he's killed Kirk.

Luckily, due to some trickery from Bones, the day is saved .

There are great moments for all the main characters, the supporting cast are solid, and some amazingly quotable lines + a rare show of joy from Spock. Vulcan culture is explored respectfully.

Simply put, it's an incredible episode of Trek. Nice job to Gene and the boys.

Discovery visits Vulcan in s3. They're only allowed in because Burnham is Spock's sister - hmmm that retcon paid off ! When they get there Burnham has to win a nonsensical debate, in which her mother, who turns up as a warrior nun/debate coach, helps her by not helping her by making her talk about her feelings - because this is what everyone needs to hear. And the day is saved - and I think Tilly says a swear word and it's funny.

I think that sums up the difference between actual Star Trek and Everybody Loves Michael, aka Discovery.

If you want to compare Discovery to TNG, think about Picard ( the de facto main character) and the episodes "Chain of Command" or " Gambit"

If you want to compare with DS9, check out "In the Pale Moonlight" for Sisko's best episode.

Even Janeway in " Year of Hell" faces real tests, and fails as much as she succeeds.

It doesn't take much more than a cursory view to see why Burnham is such an unsatisfying character and how the stories written around her deviate from past Trek.

Having said that, there were a bunch of things I loved about season 1.

- the Lorca twist and the Ash twist, both were played out gradually and carefully. Not quite Fight Club, but still nicely played.

- the development of the spore drive, ridiculous but interesting.

Harry Mudd, what an *******, but entertaining.

Nostalgia: I lived in Canada in the 70s -early 90s. I worked at some of the exterior filming locations they used around Toronto, so that was neat when I saw them show up as alien worlds.

There was some other stuff too, I'll remember later

Cheers LLAP.

The producers have no idea what they want this show to be.

Or maybe they do, and it's not consistent with Trek, but they press on anyway in the hope that people will lap it up because it's labelled as Trek.

Well at least they did one thing right by throwing them into the future farther than we've previously seen. It never made sense to have that type of tech (spore drive) in the past with the OG Enterprise.

This was the right move for sure, but to some degree it also feels like they squandered the almost limitless potential of jumping ahead nearly a full millenium.

It's frustrating. I for one (and I'm sure others too) have been waiting a long time for a Trek show which isn't set before, or in & around TOS & TNG eras, and which actually moves the game way ahead into the future.

Well I'm invested, and episode 2 got very dark quite quick at the end there. An entire planet. Ouch!

This anomaly though, I just can't help shake the feeling that it's got something to do with the new warp drive that the Federation is experimenting on. Could it be?

I don't know about anyone else either, but if I'd been a member of the Discovery crew and fought the Klingons, I'd at the very least wish to see Klingons of this century. What do they look like in the future? Are they Disco Klingons? Next Generation Klingons? Something entirely different?

Episode 2 was… okay. Nothing wrong with it, per se. But if felt like a combination of filler stuff and setup for the rest of the season.

Also: the Gray Tal character is both puzzling and uninteresting to me. Not that Adira is all that compelling either. But at least Adira is part of the crew and is occasionally useful on the bridge. But Gray (a ghostly Trill symbiont?) seems to be relegated to touchy/feel-y “love interest” status. :shrug:

Once Strange New Worlds is released (in the event I like it) I think I will drop Discovery.
My dislike for almost all the main characters and story keep on growing. I use "main" loosely for it's mostly Burnham's show + a bit of Book.
Saru still cool to me and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"