Star Trek: General Discussion Part 2

I mean you could argue that Beyond was just as much of a proper sendoff as any. What's truly a proper sendoff for such a cast? Retirement? Some die? Some get married and start a family? Kirk becomes Admiral?

Plus, resolving that whole salary dispute with Chris Pine and the other actors. They really bit themselves in the backside with that dumb Kirk meets Kirk sequel idea when Beyond had not been released yet and they failed to truly capitalize on the 50th anniversary.

I mean it definitely did say it at one point. We're not blind.

E6NwtyTX0AE_NCO

Internet telephone.

I mean you could argue that Beyond was just as much of a proper sendoff as any. What's truly a proper sendoff for such a cast? Retirement? Some die? Some get married and start a family? Kirk becomes Admiral?

Plus, resolving that whole salary dispute with Chris Pine and the other actors. They really bit themselves in the backside with that dumb Kirk meets Kirk sequel idea when Beyond had not been released yet and they failed to truly capitalize on the 50th anniversary.

I think since movies have changed some since the last movie there has to be something big here for them to compete with this current era of films. Maybe they'll bring in Shatner and Stewart and Hemsworth and just do a "multiverse" thing.

Weren't they talking about bringing Hemsworth back a while ago too?

Weren't they talking about bringing Hemsworth back a while ago too?
Yeah, the earliest iteration of a “Star Trek 4” was supposed to be Kirk somehow coming face to face with his father.

I'd love for them to return, but for Christ's sake, make a goddamn Star Trek film. Not the action emotion driven nonsense that has plagued the franchise for years now. Picard and Discovery are garbage. At least ST Beyond despite the more action still felt like a Star Trek story.

As for this director, he did a good job of replicating the period cinematography from the best earlier episodes of WandaVision, but when directing the modern action stuff, it devolved into Marvel formula and I was bored. But maybe he can stretch his legs here. I'll have to know more. Hawley and Tarantino were the most interesting. Judging by their rejection of Hawley and based on this guy's work, maybe they want to follow in the footsteps of Abrams. But we'll see.

what would be a star trek movie, for you out of interest.

At this point, for me, move on TNG style. Skip a few decades and start off the bat with a cool action scene from the bridge's perspective then give us new worlds and stories.

Sure, call him Picard and follow that time line. The best actor to portray Jean Luc, a part of me wants to say Tom Hiddleston then the other says Benedict Cumberbatch, which makes it weird, being already in that world.

This cast...I like them but it seems like it takes a decade for each sequel to come out and they lose their thunder every time.

I kind of wouldnt mind if we moved to a new era and got some high budget Borg

I definitely think this is a franchise where they constantly failed on capitalizing on momentum.

That said, Beyond is not the worst note to go out on if they bring in a brand-new cast. #JustSaying.

Yeah, the earliest iteration of a “Star Trek 4” was supposed to be Kirk somehow coming face to face with his father.

There's no reason to revisit that. It'd be a retread of the 09 film. This is Star Trek. Do we really need to see Kirk palling around with his dear old dad who sacrificed himself? I just find it lazy.

This cast...I like them but it seems like it takes a decade for each sequel to come out and they lose their thunder every time.

I kind of wouldnt mind if we moved to a new era and got some high budget Borg
I disagree in that regard, but it is funny that 2009 (which itself was delayed) came out and was well received, they breathed new life into the whole thing, they managed to successfully recast some genuinely iconic characters and kick-start some careers in the process…… and then they said “Hey, let’s take four years to put out the next one.”

Paramount could not have been less bothered to do anything for Beyond.

Like, yes Paramount, the only thing any of us could’ve asked to celebrate this franchise turning 50 was a ****ing Rihanna video.

I've had enough of the Bad Robot Kirk and Spock and just thinking of revisiting Kirk's daddy issues at this point years later past 2021 is kind of hilarious. Time to move on if it were up to me. As for the writer/director I'd get somebody like a Leigh Whannell or Alex Garland type to do it with a new cast of characters. I'm not big on the mega budget rock song rollercoaster ride approach the movies have taken. Pare it all down, and then increase the budget if it's successful out the gate.

I disagree in that regard, but it is funny that 2009 (which itself was delayed) came out and was well received, they breathed new life into the whole thing, they managed to successfully recast some genuinely iconic characters and kick-start some careers in the process…… and then they said “Hey, let’s take four years to put out the next one.”
Abrams just had to get Super 8 out of his system which put the brakes on Into Darkness at the time, even though he might has well have just pressed on with Trek since Super 8's been mostly forgotten now especially since Stranger Things took that same basic concept and was more successful. Then he came back and basically gave us Wrath of Khan Redux, which I didn't necessarily mind since it was still entertaining but it didn't really deliver on the promise of the previous film that things would be different. Then the same thing happened again when Abrams did The Force Awakens instead of Beyond, but to be fair Abrams would have been a fool to pass that up and Beyond could have turned out worse if he had directed it. I don't blame the studio not wanting to wait for him that time. It would have been risky to have yet another sequel with cooled-down hype considering Into Darkness probably could have done much better were it released two years earlier.

Hey, I love Super 8 - and it was a big success at the time. I understand he wanted to do something more personal after Star Trek, and work with his hero Steven Spielberg as producer.

I honestly don't think the four years mattered. I think the end result is what got people disappointed and the miscasting of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan.

Look, Skyfall took four years after the disappointment of Quantum of Solace and that film became the biggest Bond of all time.

If Into Darkness delivered like the 09 film did, the time between them wouldn't have made a difference - and it actually did bigger overseas, which is a notoriously difficult market to connect with Star Trek.

Hey, I love Super 8 - and it was a big success at the time. I understand he wanted to do something more personal after Star Trek, and work with his hero Steven Spielberg as producer.

I honestly don't think the four years mattered. I think the end result is what got people disappointed and the miscasting of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan.

Look, Skyfall took four years after the disappointment of Quantum of Solace and that film became the biggest Bond of all time.

If Into Darkness delivered like the 09 film did, the time between them wouldn't have made a difference - and it actually did bigger overseas, which is a notoriously difficult market to connect with Star Trek.
I liked Super 8 fine, but I felt that Abrams owed it to the cast and the franchise to strike while the iron was hot, especially since Star Trek isn't as viable of a film franchise as Bond or Star Wars or the MCU.

I’m thrilled they are making another one. They’re good films but for some reason they’re just not grabbing people enough to want to buy a ticket. Not sure why.

I hope something actually happens this time. I love the 09 movie & Beyond and the cast is incredible but Into Darkness really hurt this franchise. Add the delays on top of that and the absolutely garbage marketing of Beyond and you have a franchise with so much history and potential struggling to get it’s sequel off the ground. I’m assuming the cast all signed 3 movie contracts like they used to back before Marvel? If they leave, I’ll miss them a ton.

I’m thrilled they are making another one. They’re good films but for some reason they’re just not grabbing people enough to want to buy a ticket. Not sure why.

Star Trek has a stigma, it's for geeks and nerds - wether or not that is true, is down to personal opinion.

Star Wars has this amazing lore and toy section that transcends many cultures.

Star Trek should not be going for that audience, if it does, it has to play by those games.

Star Trek to me, should be like master and commander, a military experience - which is funny cos the former has War in its title.

Picture a crossover, the enterprise shows up amongst this war - how does Kirk/Picard engage, how do they help. That's the next angle for the follow up movie. they want Star Wars numbers then give them a war in the stars.

Yeah. I mean doctor who also used to have a stigma but they were pretty clever about it and developed it in an interesting way to broaden the demographics a bit. I don’t think they great big gaps between movies helped either.

I like the managing a war idea though

You only have to look at successful sci fi series to see what elements are the key.

Star Trek, Red Dwarf, Battle star, heck even Dr Who.

Star Trek used to be a wagon to the stars. Now we've got young producers and directors who want to make things hip with the franchise and it just doesn't look right

Look at "Picard" and "Discovery" They speak more like people from 2021 rather than the future.

Violence is also more shock and awe than before(Icheb getting his eye ripped out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"