Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.slashfilm.com/david-foster-preparing-pitch-star-trek-series/

My only concern with David Foster's pitch is that the cast is supposed to be "young." But they are trying to get younger viewers, so that's the way its going to be. There's actually a lot of problems with his pitch that a commenter points out:

Ok, there's a couple of confusing/worrying things here

1. Why must the cast be really young? The show is supposed to be about Military officers, there should be an age range that goes from young ensign to mature Captain. That makes sense. Having some 25 year old be Captain would be absolutely implausible and stupid.

2. They say it will take place in the Post Voyager era and then it says "The Klingons are getting very restless since the Praxis incident forced them to come to the peace tables, and are tired of having to reply on the Federation for support".
WHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT THEEE FUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....!?!?!?!?!

Why are they referring to an incident in Star Trek VI when tons has happened to them since then? That's completely irrelevant to the current time in the Star Trek universe.
The Klingons had already been at war since the Federation since then and then been allied with them to defeat the Dominion - all happening in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". The Praxis incident/relying on the Federation makes absolutely no sense and is irrelevant!
Did this person not watch any of the 90s series?

3. What is with all the "Gene Rodenberry's original vision" return CRAP!?
Gene Rodenberry made a show that lasted 3 seasons in the 1960s and when he came back to do the first couple of TNG seasons, they were BAD. They were outdated and the writers were restricted in the story possibilities Gene approved of.
What exactly does going back to the "original vision" mean? Copying the original series (which you must admit is outdated) and pretending like the other 600 episodes of Star Trek didn't exist or matter?

TNG and DS9 were superb trek shows, and Voyager definitely had its moments too. Why is it suddenly in vogue to go on about those shows like they were some kind of abberations that twisted Gene's vision?
They make up the majority of Trek and fleshed out the universe in a fantastic way. I don't want to change the universe they created or to dumb it down. Trek has plenty of fans and PLENTY of people have seen 90s trek.

4. "The Ferengi have discovered a vast new resource that has propelled them towards instant riches and power beyond anything they have previously experienced"

Did this person WATCH the show beyond a couple of episodes?
If you're going to make a show in the post-Voyager/DS9 era, you should WATCH THE DAMNED SHOWS!
The Ferengi don't want "power", they're not a villain species beyond a couple of very early TNG episodes when the writers decided to drop that idea.
Ferengi and Ferengi culture was explored in depth in "Deep Space Nine" - they're diplomatic, profit seekers who avoid war at all costs.
And the last we saw of them, their society was undergoing a positive change and Rom (a prominent secondary character in DS9) had been made their leader.

5. A 5-7 year series plan? I like my trek only semi-serialized (a la DS9) with plenty of room for great standalone episodes that give us fantastic sci-fi concepts. I don't want it to be one endless big story.

6. Forget "David Foster" who judging from his ideas hasn't even seen the most recent trek show that dealt with the Federation
If a new trek show comes along, the people in charge of creating the concept should be people who KNOW the trek universe and have had experience like
-Bryan Fuller
-Rene Echevarria
-Ronald D Moore
-Ira Steven Behr
-Robert Hewitt Wolfe
-Joe Menosky
-Mike Sussman

I remember hearing from the writers of the Abrams movie that a new Trek series could end up being animated. That would be awful. AWFUL.

In reference to Foster I was just referring to the fact that it was a return to optimism and set post voyager. I know little about Foster himself.

Singer and Fuller's Symbol of Hope during the decline of Space Rome idea is also pretty interesting though.

Fuller I'm just suspicious of because he was responsible for Mockingbird Lane. I have no idea how his Hannibal Lector show is going to be though.

In reference to Foster I was just referring to the fact that it was a return to optimism and set post voyager. I know little about Foster himself.

Singer and Fuller's Symbol of Hope during the decline of Space Rome idea is also pretty interesting though.

Fuller I'm just suspicious of because he was responsible for Mockingbird Lane. I have no idea how his Hannibal Lector show is going to be though.

They could get a show that continues in the post Nemesis timeline where Spock goes back in time and Romulus gets destroyed... only we stick in the original timeline and see the effects of the planet's destruction.

Also, I really really hate that the studios forced JJ to do this in 3d when he says himself that he basically hates 3d. I have full faith that they did the best possible conversion though.

There was an extensive video about the editing process that was basically and ad for Avid but one thing I thought was interesting was that JJ and co shot this movie on film and not just film but something like 8 different formats of film including IMAX and 65 mm. Its kind of bonkers.

I don't care about the 3D thing. You can easily go see it in 2D. Though I do want to see it in IMAX...

They could get a show that continues in the post Nemesis timeline where Spock goes back in time and Romulus gets destroyed... only we stick in the original timeline and see the effects of the planet's destruction.

Now this would be great. What would happen to the Romulan Star Empire with Romulus destroyed? Would the territories spin off? How relevant would the Neutral Zone be at that point?

Something like this would be ideal.

Now this would be great. What would happen to the Romulan Star Empire with Romulus destroyed? Would the territories spin off? How relevant would the Neutral Zone be at that point?

Something like this would be ideal.

:up: It would be cool if they referenced the disappearance of Spock and Nero's ship just as an easter egg.

In Nemesis, we saw how the Romulans were on the road to becoming allies with the Federation. I'd like to see how the destruction of their planet affected that relationship, as well as what you mentioned.

I don't care about the 3D thing. You can easily go see it in 2D. Though I do want to see it in IMAX...

My thoughts there as well.

But whatever my viewing options, it just irks me that a whole different technological process that JJ dislikes and admits to be unfamiliar with was forced on the filmmaker even though he's turned in multiple successful films for the studio.

Almost everything has been converted to 3D if filmed in 2D. Nothing new really.

Delving into formerly Romulan space would be a good platform for exploration also.

Almost everything has been converted to 3D if filmed in 2D. Nothing new really.

It is still aggravating to see.

Shows the relative power of Nolan and JJ to call the shots on their own projects and their relationships to their respective studios.

Delving into formerly Romulan space would be a good platform for exploration also.
That would be cool.

Romulus was destroyed about 8 years after Star Trek: Nemesis. That seems like a perfect part of Star Trek history to start a show.

I don't care for 3D conversion either, but at least he shot using IMAX which is cool.

So few filmmakers attempt that as it is. Only Nolan, Bird, Abrams.

Anyone else, I mean for big narrative feature tentpoles not documentaries?

It is still aggravating to see.

Shows the relative power of Nolan and JJ to call the shots on their own projects and their relationships to their respective studios.
Nolan earned the studio over a billion just for TDK. The 2009 film made about $380 million. 3D ticket prices will bring in more revenue, so I can understand why they would have forced him to do so.

http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/ This site has a bunch of great stills, mostly from the first film.

I've never seen this pic of the Kelvin.

kelvinred.jpg

I don't care for 3D conversion either, but at least he shot using IMAX which is cool.

So few filmmakers attempt that as it is. Only Nolan, Bird, Abrams.

Anyone else, I mean for big narrative feature tentpoles not documentaries?

Problem being that since it's in 3d and will be projected digitally in IMAX theaters, it largely defeats the point. There will still be some increase in detail and stuff though and change in aspect ratio though.

I think it can be timed well for some interesting effects.

I'll be seeing it in IMAX despite 3D, not because of it. The 3D in the prologue though was very impressive.

3D suits Star Trek more than Batman though, admittedly.

I can definitely see how the external shots of the ship could benefit from 3d, since the ship special effects can just be rendered that way and would stick out well from the space background. Similarly Zach Snyders Owl movie looked great with the owls in the sky.

Also hallways work well.

I remember hearing from the writers of the Abrams movie that a new Trek series could end up being animated. That would be awful. AWFUL.

I don't mind an animated Star Trek series as long as there is also a live action one. An animated one could be about any era of Trek and could bring in the younger viewers who might not get into the live series because it's too adult for them. With an animated series there could be much more merchandise in the toy aisles for kids. At the moment you see more Star Wars stuff (even when there's no current movie) than Star Trek. That's something that needs to be fixed. I want to be seeing things like Star Trek Lego or Star Trek Angry Birds Jenga as common place.

That said, I don't want an animated series that is only geared towards kids. It can't be dumbed down but needs to be as good as something like Justice League or Avengers:EMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"