Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roach

roach I am the night

I never said I spoke for everyone. I speak for myself.

2. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

When did either of us accuse anyone else of being an "angry friendless nerd"?

What I believe we're referring to are certain online writers who've been having a screeching tantrum about this movie for months now. We get it, guys. You didn't like it. But you don't have to remind us on Twitter that "ZOMG, IT SUCKED!!!" every day.

People are certainly allowed not to like it, and I don't presume anything about the friendship statuses of those who don't. I never claimed to speak for any majority other than the majority of people I happen to know...who happened to love the movie. It was just an observation that the meltdown I've seen from certain corners of the internet are nothing like what I've seen outside of it.

3. MrMaooz

MrMaooz Well-Known Member

Honest Trailers - Star Trek Into Darkness (feat. HISHE)

[YT]6B22Uy7SBe4[/YT]

4. Alex_Spider

Alex_Spider Well-Known Member

lol at the animated short near the end.

5. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

And I didn't quote your post or in any way say that I was only talking about your post. I came into a thread where a discussion was being had by several different posters and made a general statement.

Wasn't me Kemosabe.

Hmmmm...why would a science fiction writer put in a science/science fiction reference into a science fiction movie........?

6. Alex_Spider

lol I get what you re saying and I didn't mentioned this on a negative light, it just seemed a bit weird and random to me the name they chose given its mythological significance. Now if there was a direct adaptation of the Nibiru mythos or if it was presented in the opening scene as exactly as this planet is with the advanced civilization and all, then it would make more sense. But as I said that was the least of my problems I had with this movie.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

Because Roberto Orci thinks everything is a conspiracy. He posts crazy stuff on Twitter all the time. (He was already saying the Boston Bombing was a conspiracy 5 minutes after it happened.)

8. roach

roach I am the night

9. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

you know the actor is desperate when he starts talking about how much money it made when defending a movie.story and characters. thats the only thing he should talk when defending his movie.

and i like Pegg. but the guy needs to remember that he is a geek. so like he for 20 years talked with his friends about scifi movies and nitpicked every detail so are others now doing for his movie.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. StarLord

StarLord Laughing

He's right. It's not the worst Star Trek movie.

11. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

thats his opinion. if there are 4 humans on this planet that think this is the worst ST movei or even the worst movie of all the time they are right. its their opinion.

the problem is of course fanboys and geeks. who think about this almost everyweek. he is part of them.

12. roach

roach I am the night

Just because he is a geek doesn't mean he has to agree with their assessment. I am a geek and I don't agree that this is the worst Star Trek film ever. Yes it is an opinion...just like it is his (and mine) opinion that they are wrong.

13. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

So has anyone bought this on digital download yet? I'm debating whether to do that or wait for the actual blu ray to come out. Its tempting getting to watch the film 3 weeks in advance though. lol

14. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

he doesnt have to agree with the opinion. but he said ''f... you'' . thats not right since he is also a geek who nitpicked about scifi movies his whole life.

he also used the boxoffice which is pathetic. you dont defend your movie with how much money it made.

everything i wrotte is true. there is no opinion here. he is WRONG by saying f... you to the fans who dont like the movie.

15. bunk

bunk superhero fan

He gets to say "eff you" whenever he wants for his entire life. It doesn't make any difference what his position or status is at a given time.

16. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

if Bay and Ratner would say f. you to the people who dont like their movie. would it be the same? would all laugh like when Pegg did it? this is hypocrisy.

like Devin Faraci poor guy. he hates ST2 and likes Simon Pegg. if any other actor would say this he would have a long article bashing him. but since its Pegg he will ignore ir.

17. bunk

bunk superhero fan

Obviously it wouldn't be the same, since Bay isn't known to have a sense of humor. With Pegg you know he's just stirring up crap, because it's a funny thing to do. Also I think you're getting hypocrisy confused with "double standard." It could be a double standard, but that's one of the benefits of being a likable human being. Give me an example of a pre-fame Pegg saying something to the effect that performers should keep their mouths shut about criticism, and I'll agree he's a hypocrite.

18. Alex_Spider

Good points. And for Christ's sake, Bayformers 2 and 3 made a tons of money being a complete garbage. It doesn't matter how well a movie performs in box-office. Period.

19. roach

roach I am the night

Actually BO proves that more people liked it than disliked it.

20. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

And the 'fans' who do things like troll Lindelof's twitter whining like screaming children because they didn't like the movie? That happened plenty. And they can't complain when the nastiness gets dished right back at them.

21. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Pegg wasn't cursing at fans who were mean to him or anyone associated with STD on Twitter. (Oh, woes! People are being mean on the Internet! :whatever:) He was saying "F--- you!" because of a poll taken at a Star Trek convention where only 100 fans attending a panel discussion debated where to rank the film. This wasn't some huge, earth-shattering dis from all fans of the original series. It was just a small group of people at a con having fun ranking movies as they saw fit. It's wrong to lump them in with people who trolled Lindelof or any other group he believes deserves to be cursed at because of their opinions of STD. Pegg reportedly works in the entertainment industry so he should have thicker skin than that, not to mention more professionalism.

22. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

As much as I don't always like to admit it it is true. I know plenty of people who say "I love the the Transformers movies!" Not mentioning kids...

23. roach

roach I am the night

as much as we like to saw BO doesn't measure quality...it does measure if the GA likes something

24. redhawk23

redhawk23 Wrestlin'

Is Simon Pegg really surprise that people that have actually seen and enjoy the Wrath of Kahn dislike a movie whose climax relies on aping the climax of that film beat for beat but without the context that made it work? Really? He's shocked by this? I mean, it is certainly silly to call it the worst, the lack of effort that went into the effects in Star Trek 5 as well as the general shoddiness of that film easily makes it the worst but that doesn't change the fact that STID is pretty damn mediorcre in several respects. I agree with him that a lot of effort from very talented people went into the newest film, which only exacerbates my disappointment with the entire second of half of the movie. The 3rd act in particular is very similar to a gag from Pegg's own Spaced, which often played on the beats of other movies and shows as source of humor, except in this case it was self parody and I was literally laughing by the time of Spock's outburst.

Also, Star Trek fans don't like when Star Trek is popular? Really? TNG was the highest rated syndicated show for years, during its first run and after.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  25. Visceral

Visceral A Shadow

Say what you will about the film, Abrams Kirk has become one of my favorite characters, he is like a red bull maverick generation X version of han solo.

I like that when he is having the"kirk sandwich" with the cat girls, the music playing is beastie boys to continue his characterization from the first one where he crashes his stepfathers corvette wile listening to sabotage.

favorite archtype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.