Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely loved the movie. Best movie of the year so far without a doubt.

Two biggest strengths for me:

1. The emotional aspects of the plot. I really genuinely cared what happened to all of them, and understood their motivations. Something that is sadly lacking in a lot of movies lately.
2. Cumberbatch. Was. Brilliant.

Great pacing, balance of lightness without dipping too far into comedy, beautiful shots, and the action was great and on an epic scale :)

9/10 from me!

Just seen it. Loved it. 9/10

I only have minor complaints, which could change after repeat viewings:

-0.5 for the cutting style. I'm not entirely against fast cutting but when one combat move gets like 3 cuts I find it hard to follow. Especially the fights with harrison suffered from that. I mean they train these fights so long, why not just hold the shot.. (also the badass shot from the trailer where he lands so cool with that massive weapon is cut down and its another angle which looks not even half so cool :/ )

-0.5 for
it wasnt clear to me for at least 30minutes what was up with the torpedos. first it could explode. then there is a body in it. so its only the body or still a weapon!!? then later the use it as a detonation device..

*Whiplash* said:
The reality is, that after viewing the old movies - they are boring as hell.

I disagree. And don't make the mistake of think it's nostalgia talking, because I didn't get into Star Trek until 2006 and I didn't watch any of the films until after Star Trek '09. Guess what? I prefer the old ones. Not all of them, mind you. Insurrection and especially Final Frontier are hot garbage, and I would actually place Star Trek '09 above those and a couple others, but writing everything off pre-Abrams as "boring as hell" is ridiculous.

I can't remember the last time I had such a blast watching a movie in a cinema. This film is literally firing on all phasers, and it hits all the notes just about right. Star Trek Into Darkness is one of those rare examples of an ideal summer blockbuster. It has pretty much a perfect mix of solid writing, thrilling action sequences, emotional scenes, likeable characters, well-timed humor, an intriguing villain, breakneck pacing and a plot that never loses momentum. For all the Marvel loyalists in the Iron Man 3 forum babbling about how "fun" and "enjoyable" Shane Black's latest exercise in smug self-indulgent obnoxiousness was, this is how it's done.

No two ways about it - Star Trek Into Darkness is the movie to beat this summer. An applauding 9/10 from me.

So J.J. nailed it again?

So J.J. nailed it again?

For the most part, yes. BUT, I think there is one BIG moment that just smacks of cheap and lazy. It has it's issues, but it's still a bloody good fun movie.

And exactly how much lens flare is there in the movie? You know we have to ask.

And exactly how much lens flare is there in the movie? You know we have to ask.

lol. You know what, I didn't even notice it. I think it's still there, just not as much.

For the most part, yes. BUT, I think there is one BIG moment that just smacks of cheap and lazy. It has it's issues, but it's still a bloody good fun movie.

I think I know which moment you mean, I was really bummed by it.

So J.J. nailed it again?

So much so that I'm rather disappointed that he jumped ship to Star Wars, because he did such a great job with modernizing Star Trek and putting his own stamp on it that the next director to take over the reigns will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

As a member of Team Star Wars, I'm thrilled to have JJ on the winning team. #trolling!

So much so that I'm rather disappointed that he jumped ship to Star Wars, because he did such a great job with modernizing Star Trek and putting his own stamp on it that the next director to take over the reigns will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

There's no reason he can't do both. Perhaps he is the one prophesied to bring unity and order to the fanboy community! :hehe:

I am the farthest form disappointed. His Trek movies really have the soul of Star Wars in them. And he is PERFECT for Star Wars even more so then Trek. JJ and Arndt together just gets me more and more excited about Episode VII.

As a member of Team Star Wars, I'm thrilled to have JJ on the winning team. #trolling!

Hear hear!

But I'm jacked for STID, and glad to hear it is a great movie. As a Trek fan that makes me happy as well. (But Star Wars is my main love).

I am the farthest form disappointed. His Trek movies really have the soul of Star Wars in them. And he is PERFECT for Star Wars even more so then Trek. JJ and Arndt together just gets me more and more excited about Episode VII.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am just not that into Star Wars. I know the mythology, I've seen all the movies and all that, but I never really understood the fanboy community's obsession with it, most likely because it wasn't part of my childhood and I wasn't exposed to the entire franchise until I was already in my late teens. In my estimation at least, Stark Trek has always played second fiddle to Star Wars when it came to being a pop-cultural sci-fi phenomenon, so I was happy to see the underdog finally getting greater recognition and legitimacy in the eyes of the general movie-going population. I'd be great if Paramount can convince Brad Bird to take over the Star Trek franchise, because he already outdid Abrams once when it came to the Mission Impossible series.

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am just not that into Star Wars. I know the mythology, I've seen all the movies and all that, but I never really understood the fanboy community's obsession with it, most likely because it wasn't part of my childhood and I wasn't exposed to the entire franchise until I was already in my late teens. In my estimation at least, Stark Trek has always played second fiddle to Star Wars when it came to being a pop-cultural sci-fi phenomenon, so I was happy to see the underdog finally getting greater recognition and legitimacy in the eyes of the general movie-going population. I'd be great if Paramount can convince Brad Bird to take over the Star Trek franchise, because he already outdid Abrams once when it came to the Mission Impossible series.

Though I will say his Star Trek is the "light" version still good but in reality JJ's Star Trek films are Star Wars with Star Trek skin on it. So in a sense you might actually really like Star Wars. It has nothing to do with age. I was young when I got into both. But my father was a full grown adult and many other friends (including lots of posters on here) that got in to Star Wars much later in their life. Maybe seeing JJ's Star Wars will (most likely) change your mind on the mythology. As he did with some people with Trek.

But JJ admits all the time he is a huge Star Wars fan not Trek fan, and that he brought his Star Wars sense into it. So him being unchained and doing a Star Wars film with a superb writer and pretty much unlimited resources, just gives me the biggest grin. Brad Bird is a huge Star Wars fan as well, he was one of the top choices to be Episode VII's director. I'd rather see him do Episode VIII or IX. In reality I would really like to see a new Trek series before another movie. But of course I would like them to finish this up at least in a trilogy.

lol. You know what, I didn't even notice it. I think it's still there, just not as much.

I disagree, the lens flare was overly dne this time. I saw it in 3D and it was actually very prominent in the front as a 3D effect. It was too much.

I understand the parallel, I just didn't like how it played out.

I personally liked it and thought it was a nice way for Spock to confirm [BLACKOUT]his suspicions about Khan and then rigging those torpedoes. Spock is a Vulcan after all, and doesn't go with his 'gut feeling' like Kirk does[/BLACKOUT].

I'll definitely go see it again on Monday. If you get the chance to see it in IMAX, believe me it is worth the extra expense. This film looks gorgeous.

I personally liked it and thought it was a nice way for Spock to confirm [BLACKOUT]his suspicions about Khan and then rigging those torpedoes. Spock is a Vulcan after all, and doesn't go with his 'gut feeling' like Kirk does[/BLACKOUT].

I'll definitely go see it again on Monday. If you get the chance to see it in IMAX, believe me it is worth the extra expense. This film looks gorgeous.

I can't go into detail yet but the reasons I don't like it are not for the reasons you described. I'll wait until it hits world wide before going into my issues with the climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"